SaltCritters.com

DIY mod for feeding time!

stallen

I like to leave my pump off for 10 - 20 minutes at feeding time to give my corals and CUC time to eat. I'm afraid that one of these days I will forget to turn the pump back on! Not to mention it would be very convenient if the pump could turn itself back on.

Here is the idea. I'd like to have a timer dial switch that the pump can be plugged into to allow the pump to automatically turn back on in the dialed amount of time.

I'm thinking of a heat lamp dial switch or a fan dial switch (like in the photo below). The only problem is that these switches turn on the appliance for the set amount of time. I want the pump to be turned off for the set amount of time.

accessories2_07.jpg

So I think it is a good idea, but I lack the electrical knowledge to put this together. I'm surprised that there isn't a product like this available to aquarists. If there is, please show me. If this mod has been done before, please show me. If you think you can do this mod, well.... please show me!!!! Pictures and links to the actual pieces to put this together would be great!

This is a very lame paint drawing, but it's kinda what I have in mind. I just don't know what the guts of the thing will look like.

feedingtimerif5.png

TheNorthernLight

If your not compfortable with electrical wiring, and if you'd like to automate anything else on your tank, I would suggest get yourself

a reefkeeper 2. They are a little pricey, buy honestly, they are literally worth their weight in gold. I purchased one, and I'll never revert back.

The benefit, is that you set one of the plugs are your sump/pump

setting, and any other pumps you have that you like to turn off, to that

controller (1 through 8 total controllers), and then within the settings of the device it has

a simply yes/no setting to take part in the "feeding" timer.

You then set the feeding timer on a seperate menu option, to how much

time you want. Then when you want to feed, you simply hit the up

arrow on the controller, which activate the feeding timer, and will turn off

any controls that are set to turn off during the feeding timer.

The really nice part, is that when the timer runs out, it does a quick

rampup in power, which reduces restart wear on all your pumps.

I use mine, and i love it. Give you an idea, my controller, currently

controls all 6 lights on my aquarium individually, my lighthood fans are

temperature controlled (from an onboard temp sensor on the

controller), and 1 socket for my return/protein/auto-top off pumps, and

my refugium light on the last controller. Which takes part in my feeding

timer. I leave my internal powerheads always on, so as to help keep

the food suspended in the water column longer (less food getting into

sump).

Anyway, here's the link to the RK2 :

http://www.digitalaquatics.com/reefkeeper2.html

Hope this solves your issues. Oh and btw, the reason why I didn't go

with any mechanical timers, is that they can fail, and from a lot of

reviews, do so quite often, with too much use. And Digital timers, fail

as well, The only ones that we're rated well, we're like $80 canadian at

the time. The way I looked at it, was simple, 1 timer = $80, 2 = 160, 3

= 240, Vs. the RK2 = $270, and it's 8 timers, plus pH sensor, AND a

rather accurate temperature sensor, all in one... and it looks VERY cool.

oh, and is upgradeable through software.

my .2 cents,

spyrule.

Here ya go ...

post-24845-1170045988_thumb.jpg

The RadioShack DPDT Relay 275-217 should be readily available, but many other relays would also work. This is how the RS relay would be wired, but other relays may call for different wiring. The relay should come with a wiring diagram that should be relative easy to follow. You could also probably use a RS project enclosure to house the whole unit.

stoney waters

Hey stallen,

Its a really nice idea, believe it or not I have actually held one in my hand and thought the very same thing. You could make a really nice looking little unit for the purpose you have in mind. GMans relay idea might be the easiest solution, but I believe the timer itself could be altered to reverse its operation. I might have to open one up and check it out.

Reefkeepers are nice, but I know a fellow reefer who has had to send two of them back in less than year. At least timers are easily replaceable. Anyway DIY isn't always about saving money. I have as much fun planning and building my systems as I do maintaining the finished product.

TheNorthernLight

yeah Stoney, the reefkeeper 1's are problematic.

I would avoid that one, and get the reefkeeper 2, HUGE improvment in

the electronics, I get no ballast feedback at all, and I have 2 seperate

175W MH Ballasts, and 4 individual 65W Power Compact Ballasts

(fulham workhorse 33's). So a lot of lighting and pumps, and no issues.

spyrule.

Wire the outlet to the NO (Normally Open) contacts on the relay and you are in business.

Thanks for the schematic GMan.

Has anyone checked the cost of these timers?

Thanks for following up with my original post guys!!

I read the entire RC thread that gman found. Thanks gman!! Looks like the you can use a standard timer and just bend the switch on the inside. However it might be a little safer, reliable, (and expensive :angry: ) to get the "SPDT" type that is made for reverse action. I'm thinking I might get this Intermatic model FF32HH: http://www.electricsuppliesonline.com/inffencointi9.html

Is this what you guys think is best?

If anyone build this, please post some build pics. I'd like to see some pics of wiring and especially some pics for some enclosure ideas. I'd like to have a stand alone box of some sort. Maybe there is a PVC enclosure of some sort that will hold the timer and one outlet.

I agree that would be the safest alternative. The item you linked is a 2 hour with the hold feature. Looks like if you want the "hold" feature ... 2 hour is the shortest avialable timer. However ... it does look like you could 15/30/60 minute SPDT timers without the hold feature.

$35.00 seems a little steep! A basic timer ($15/HD) and SPDT/DPDT relay ($9/RS) like a mentioned above is still $24.00. Both should provide the same "safety" factor but you can likely get the parts for the DIY version without shipping charges.

I just got back from Lowe's. They have some nice PVC access boxes that would hold the timer and one outlet for ~$4.50. Looked similar to this...

B000BQNW5I.01-A3VV67VLCD5YKX._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The more I think about it I don't think I need a 2 hour timer or the hold function. The Intermatic FF360M is a 60 minute timer without hold for $29. Maybe that is the way to go. I can't image I'd ever want the pump off for more than 60 minutes and if I want to "hold" I can just unplug the pump.

I tried to see if Lowe's could order the timer, but they couldn't pull any Intermatic products up on the computer some reason. They told me they would call on Monday. It would be nice if they could get it at a decent price and without shipping charge. If not maybe the I'll consider the relay alternative, but I'm not sure I could fit the relay in the small access box I was looking at.

TheNorthernLight

Before you buy it, read up on intermatic timers. They are VERY much not reliable. They have a tendency to only last 3-6 months with regular use.

I would go the relay direction, mainly because if one part fails, you can replace each seperately, plus it's the relay portion that fails in the intermatics, and they usually fail in no type situations (something about the coils dying, or something like that).

hope this helps make your decision easier.

spyrule

Before you buy it, read up on intermatic timers. They are VERY much not reliable. They have a tendency to only last 3-6 months with regular use.

I would go the relay direction, mainly because if one part fails, you can replace each seperately, plus it's the relay portion that fails in the intermatics, and they usually fail in no type situations (something about the coils dying, or something like that).

hope this helps make your decision easier.

spyrule

Where did you find that these particular intermatic timer are unreliable? Is there a more reliable brand?

You can buy those timers at grainger that are NC...no need to mod anything.

Here are the numbers for the double pole timers

2 hours FF32H FD32H

4 hours FF34H FD34H

6 hours FF36H FD36H

12 hours FF312H

The mechanical intermatics are not pieces of crap as previously stated I've yet to see one fail in a commercial application.

You can buy those timers at grainger that are NC...no need to mod anything.

Here are the numbers for the double pole timers

2 hours FF32H FD32H

4 hours FF34H FD34H

6 hours FF36H FD36H

12 hours FF312H

The mechanical intermatics are not pieces of crap as previously stated I've yet to see one fail in a commercial application.

Thanks for the second opinion on the reliability of this product.

Grainger is a little more expensive than getting them on amazon.com (electricsuppliesonline.com). I'm looking at the FF360M for $29 + $7.99 shipping - no tax. Grainger wants $34.60 before shipping and I'm guessing they'll also charge for tax since they have locations in my state (and probably just about all states). I'm still waiting to see if Lowes might save me a few bucks. I'm going to order something on monday.

Are you aware of any other brands?

Thanks for the second opinion on the reliability of this product.

Grainger is a little more expensive than getting them on amazon.com (electricsuppliesonline.com). I'm looking at the FF360M for $29 + $7.99 shipping - no tax. Grainger wants $34.60 before shipping and I'm guessing they'll also charge for tax since they have locations in my state (and probably just about all states). I'm still waiting to see if Lowes might save me a few bucks. I'm going to order something on monday.

Are you aware of any other brands?

Yes there are some other ways to do it cheaper such as an ICM on delay relay or various other SSR's (solid state relays). I believe the intermatics would provide you the most user friendly option though.

TheNorthernLight

Yeah BruiseAndy,

Your probably right, after actually thinking about it, it was the intermatic digital timers that supposedly failed, and we're not the reliable. Nothing at all the same as the mechanical timers.

sorry for the mis-information,

spyrule

I order the Intermatic FF360M. I went to Lowe's and purchased the rest of the stuff I will need.

Alright, I think I can figure this out, but I don't want to guess at what I'm doing and start a fire. So here is the back of the outlet. I'll need to read the instructions when the timer comes in because I think you can wire it more than one way (regular action vs. reverse action). But here is something to start with. The extesion cord is 14awg wire. I have three wires Black is Hot, White is Neutral and Green is Ground, right?

Here's a pic. I posted this way so you can see the full size image so you can read the writing on the outlet to see if I've got it right...

http://img299.imageshack.us/my.php?image=outletii2.jpg

So I can pic any of the four slots on top to insert my black wires and any of the four slots on bottom for my white wires, right?

Looks like that is correct ... here is a trick ... "Black=Brass". One set of screws should be brass colored, another silver, and a single green.

Personally I never use the push in connections and prefer to attach via the screws.

Your pic is correct. How are you going to mount it? Personally if it were me I'd get a 4 square box (one you can fit two switches or outlets in) and mount both the timer and outlet in same box. Make sure to use clamps through your boxes so if wire gets tugged it wont short.

Make sure to use clamps through your boxes so if wire gets tugged it wont short.

Hmm, please explain. I've been trying to figure out a way to secure the wiring. I thought about just using a couple zip ties and drilling a couple holes in that small tube were the extension cord will be coming out. Here is what I plan on using. I wanna keep it small this should hold the timer and one outlet...

dsc01862ew1.jpg

Archived