Pod Your Reef

NaNoWaVe 9[nw9] tank photos

Trick2l

Hello reefers, i have finally taken some pic's of my newly setup Nanowave 9. I understand the pic's are a little cloudy but they were taken just seconds after my hand left the tank !!! so excited i was :D !!! now i cant wait for the water to clear to really enjoy its form. questions and comments are welcome fellow reefers so enjoy

post-24432-1166760522_thumb.jpg

post-24432-1166760658_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the pic's being cloudy the photo's were snapped off a few min's after i rearranged the tank .

As for livestock i have yet to decide as its going to be a few weeks before my system cycles and all the live rock cures. but what i do know is im under constant badgering from the girlfriend to purchase a scooter blenny when my tank stabilizes and i can start to add livestock.

what would make up a good cuc for a 9 gallon nano? Ideas and suggestions are being taken so when i get back from amsterdamn i can run to my lfs and pick up some small critters to make my tank more active. :)

Sweet to see the tank setup and running. Nice rockscaping.

Have you taken water temps?

What cycle are you running the lights?

Did you add an additional power head? If not, is the stock water flow sufficient? What's up with the nub for the water outlet in the tank?? Did you find a nozzle to go on that nub to direct water flow?

Got mud/sand in the fuge? Plants?

What substrate are you using in the 4th chamber? My LFS is recommending phosphate sub......?.....

Thanks for going over all these questions. Hopefully we'll figure out the best ways to utilitze all the nice features of the AMN9.

Oh...! Is the skimmer doing it's job?

All the best on your trip!! Catcha when you get back.

the water temps when i got home yesterday with the lights on for 4 hours(lights come on at 11am and i got home around 4pm) were 83 degrees with the skimmer working and a secong power head with a hydor-flo rotating nozzle. temps stayed at 83 pretty much all night till the lights went off at 11pm. The hydor-flo rotating nozzle will fit in the stock location if you trim the big ring around the unit away and reverse the 90 in the pump return to make space in the outlet hole to accept the adaptor. will post pic's later of the mod

The lighting period is 12 hours on daylight and 12hours on moonlight/fuge. i run the fuge light counter the main lights to help heat the tank at night and lower the temps during the day . Fuge is full of live sand, rock rubble and chaeto macro algae.

I will be replacing the main pump for a rio 600 for better water flow as i have good results with that pump and its rated at over 200gph .

im using the stock bio media in the 4th chamber and in the sponge chamber i modified the sponge and inserted a packet of seachem purigen filter resin into that chanber for good water flow throught the media to help polish the water.

skimmer works well and i adjusted the pump opening by making it smaller so there is more contact time between the air and water for max removal, so last night after disturbing the tank and making a ton of dust i awoke to full skimmer cup of some very good looking brown water so im to assume its doing its job.

hope this info helps and if i have time tonight after doing some x-mas shopping i will try and compile a ton more data for everone to see like water parameters and some better picks of a much clearer tank .

Thanks for the compliment's about the rock work i was having a blast trying to chose the best way to save space in such a small tank and still have a very usable reef for corals. :)

Sweet info, thanks Trick.

Are you worried about those 83degrees? I thought we should be keeping it at 80 or less....? That second powerhead is adding heat, is the tank's stock circulation inadequate?

Could you please post pics of the listed mods?

Sweet info, thanks Trick.

Are you worried about those 83degrees? I thought we should be keeping it at 80 or less....? That second powerhead is adding heat, is the tank's stock circulation inadequate?

Could you please post pics of the listed mods?

well im not sure if it was the second powerhead adding heat or the fact that my apt yesterday when i got home was in the 80's from my roommate running the fan on the apt heater all day, and i had the fuge lamp plugged into the wrong slot on the power strip so that was also on all day. today i should have a better baseline reading for the temp as when i left for work at 5:30am the apt was close to 72 and my tank was reading 78 with all pump's/powerheads running, fuge light on and a 100 watt heater keeping it warm at night. so i'm to assume that the heater will not produce today once the main lighting comes on and warms up.i think the stock pump is a little low on gph but it does create a nice flow within the tank but again im not sure if its enough flow and i dont want to take a chance when for $20.00 or so dollars i can almost double the gph turnover rate of the tank.

can't wait till i get home to record more data on the tank and take some pic's :happy:

here are some updated pic's of the tank with clear water, still need to figure out how to get my camera to not whitewash the pic's with the flash off. the temp today at 6pm was again 83 degree's so im sure some type of cooling in the hood is needed also my apt is kept pretty warm since we have free heat so that might play a part in keeping the tank temp's kinda high. :lol: enjoy

post-24432-1166830501_thumb.jpg

post-24432-1166830535_thumb.jpg

post-24432-1166830594_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't worry, my NC12 runs at 84 to 86 and everything is fine. In fact, the corals seems to do better and grow faster at this temp.

Ok, now you get to start cutting things apart…

MODIFICATION GOAL

Improved Circulation

MODIFICATION CRITERIA

(1) Replace stock main circulation pump with maxi-jet to move more water.

(2) Add rotating flow deflector to help randomize current in tank.

So I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the main circulation pump, which is rated at 110gph, is going to be woefully underpowered for the "reef enthusiast". That means that it's got to go. The first thing I noticed was how small the area in the rear chamber was where pump goes is. The stock pump is small, and it barely fits. The easy answer is to just remove the last media carrier, but I still wanted the option to run foam and/or other media in that last chamber. And so began the first of much cutting that my Nano Wave 9 will see…

Img_3478.jpg

In order to fit a larger pump in the last compartment while still being able to use the last container for assorted filter media, I decided to cut a sizable notch out of the bottom of the media carrier.

Img_3470.jpg

I then trimmed up the piece I had removed until I had only the grate left. I opened up the slits in the grate a bit and used pvc Weldon to glue it to the bottom of the media carrier.

Img_3472.jpg

I cut the original foam block in half and crammed it in the carrier.

Img_3484.jpg

The stock pump comes with a length of ½" dia tubing that connects to an elbow, one end of which fits loosely in a hole in the rear panel. The elbow is a different size on each end, and the smaller size just happens to fit extremely well inside of the hydor flo adapter that fits inside the hole. Then it's just a matter of cutting a longer piece of ½" tubing and stretching one end over the largest end of the elbow while connecting the other end to the power head.

Img_3486.jpg

Img_3487.jpg

Img_3488.jpg

Img_3492.jpg

DIFFICULTY

EASY – Simply removing media cartridge and adding new pump and Hydor Flo

MODERATE – Modding media cartridge to accommodate the new pump

Okay all you reefer's here is an update on my tank:

Water parameters 12/23/06

Salinity 1.023

Ph 7.9

Ammonia 0mg/l

nitrate 10 mg/l

nitrite 3 mg/l

copper 0mg/l

phosphate .4 mg/l

calcium 480 mg/l

Temp 82.4(end of the day cycle)

I updated the main return pump to a aquaclear 30 powerhead which for 2 watts more (7 watts) than the stock 5 watt pump it gives me 75% more flow, so i was able to remove the second power head in the tank that was rated at 5 watts.I used a few of the mods do in the diy forum post by socalsuperhero about modding the nanowave9.

Thanks socal for the tips Here is a link to his post: Modding the Nano Wave 9

• 3 weeks later...

Okay everyone here is an update on my tank:

Water parameters 1/9/2007 Happy New Year! (just back from Amsterdam)

Salinity 1.025

Ph 8.3

Ammonia 0mg/l

nitrate 0 mg/l

nitrite 0 mg/l

copper 0mg/l

phosphate 0 mg/l

calcium 490 mg/l

Temp 83.1(end of the main light cycle 12.5hours)

water is crystal clear after my first water change, Had lots of brown growth at first that developed on the rock and sand but it eventually stopped and is now receding every day and im starting to see some small creatures moving around on the rocks and across the glass. The water parameters above are the 4th time i checked (everyday since i have been home on the 4th) and everything is holding steady so off to the lfs tonight i go for some more goodies. :D

Oh also i replaced the aquaclear upgrade pump with the stock pump as the flow was to great even with the pump flow adjuster almost closed and that made to many bubles from the skimmer be passed into the main tank. so i just intalled a second powerhead in the tank to help create more tank flow.

Cool you live in maryland.

By the way great start on your new tank

good luck :)

Thanks, yeah i visit all 3 local fish stores in the baltimore area and i believe that exotic aquatics is by far the best one for sw stuff and coral frags at a good price for healthy livestock.

I tried to update my member gallery last night but the pic's were so large in size they were taking forever last night so i will try again later tonight.

Water parameters 1/10/2007

Salinity 1.025

Ph 8.3

Ammonia 0mg/l

nitrate 0 mg/l

nitrite 0 mg/l

copper 0mg/l

phosphate 0 mg/l

calcium 425 mg/l

Temp 81.9(end of the main light cycle 12.5hours)

new updated photo's in my member gallery

thanks for looking :D

Where around baltimore are you from? I am from the essex area. I have some pink pulsing xenia that is growing pretty fast. I will give you some for free if you want it when you are ready for some corals.

I'm really intested in your tank setup as I have just bought a nanowave and have yet to fill it yet. I have a bunch of questions regarding your mods.

1. You mentioned that the Aquaclear 30 powerhead was to powerful for the system and micro bubbles were being shot into the tank. Is this with or without the Hydor Flow?

2. Does the Hydor flow shoot water at the light housing as it spins around? I've never owned one but it looks like the return is to high to the water edge for a spinning head of water.

3. Are there issues with waterflow making its way though the filtration with the Aquaclear 30? Do you feel widening or making the waterway grills wider would allow water to?

4. Now that you removed the Aquaclear 30 and are back to the stock pump, what gallons/hour do you thing is perfect with a Hydor flow limiting the pump? And without the Hydor flow.

Thanks for answering my questions in advance. I'm really excited about this new tank!

2. Does the Hydor flow shoot water at the light housing as it spins around? I've never owned one but it looks like the return is to high to the water edge for a spinning head of water.

The flow from the return line isn't enough to spray water onto the lid with the Hydor attached. I think the Hydor would be more effective circulating water if it was not buried in the top corner of the NW9. With my NW9 and Hydor flow, I used a 45deg pvc elbow to angle it out from the corner and a bit down into the tank. It took some different size tubing to shim the pvc onto the Hydor and line out from the pump.

Water circulation seems to be a bit light with that setup, so I added another pump in the top corner of the tank, opposite of the return line. The pump is from my second NW9 that arrived severely broken via DHL. Now I'm curious to see how the third pump affects water temps.

sorry everone,

i have been have some major ISP tech issues and have not be able to readly post on the forum. They should be resolved later tonight by CRIMECAST Thank GOD! well the tank is doing really well and im starting to see the coraline algae start to brighten up in color and it seems also like im starting to see more purple on other rocks in the tank.

Yes i have changed the water flow in my tank also due to dead spots so i removed the hydorflo from the main pump output and placed a rio 90 pump by the upper right corner close to the skimmer intake to cause a circular water pattern and it seems what few corals i have they like it.

i have not updated any lighting or cooling YET and during a complete day with the tank in the curent state i get around 83.7 degree water temps with the tank in a room that is close to 75 degrees all day long.

As soon as i can upload pic's with out my internet connection dropping out it will be done. Hope everyone else's nanowave is going good and John sorry to hear about all your problems with getting a complete tank. the first i received was also busted but i decided to tear it down and repair it which is taking kinda long. "To Many projects" AHHHH

We have got to get our temps as close to the upper 70s as possible. This 82+ degree water is bullsh**.

I yanked out the third stock (but added on) AquaMedic pump last night WHEN MY WATER TEMPS GOT TO 87 DEGREES, after 7 hrs with the lights on.

Good grief.

I'm looking into two different fans...

Papst 60x15mm, 21cfm, 16dba fans

Are two 16dba fans quiet enough to be in a bedroom?

SilenX 40x10mm, 5cfm, 14dba fans

I'd like to go with 2 Papst fans, given the cfm, and IF they'll fit in the NW9 canopy. There's not too much more than 15mm inbetween the reflector and canopy, inbetween the LEDs.

I do have a broken NW9 canopy to pilfer for parts and projects!

I'm looking at replacing the stock return and skimmer pumps with the Rio 180. It pumps 85 to 120gph w/ 3.4 watts, and add a Rio 90 in the tank to help with circulation. That one pumps 85gph in the tank w/ 2.8 watts.

Sooooooooo hopefully I can get close to the flow I have now, (@ 15 watts), with only 9.6 watts.

Socalsuperhero
We have got to get our temps as close to the upper 70s as possible. This 82+ degree water is bullsh**.

I yanked out the third stock (but added on) AquaMedic pump last night WHEN MY WATER TEMPS GOT TO 87 DEGREES, after 7 hrs with the lights on.

Good grief.

I'm looking into two different fans...

Papst 60x15mm, 21cfm, 16dba fans

Are two 16dba fans quiet enough to be in a bedroom?

SilenX 40x10mm, 5cfm, 14dba fans

I'd like to go with 2 Papst fans, given the cfm, and IF they'll fit in the NW9 canopy. There's not too much more than 15mm inbetween the reflector and canopy, inbetween the LEDs.

I do have a broken NW9 canopy to pilfer for parts and projects!

I'm looking at replacing the stock return and skimmer pumps with the Rio 180. It pumps 85 to 120gph w/ 3.4 watts, and add a Rio 90 in the tank to help with circulation. That one pumps 85gph in the tank w/ 2.8 watts.

Sooooooooo hopefully I can get close to the flow I have now, (@ 15 watts), with only 9.6 watts.

forget those 40mm fans, they're only rated at 5cfm each. Another option to consider 80mmx15mm.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16835119041

Glad to see some more people taking a shot at these tanks!

Archived