Top Shelf Aquatics

Kmitch's Military Barracks Reef

KMitch

Howdy folks!

I've been a member of this forum for awhile and had my saltwater dorm reef for longer. I always enjoy reading other people's journals of their reef keeping but have always been too lazy to sit down and make my own. So here it is. I am going to try and go back in time to recreate the beginning and move forward.

January 18, 06 - A nano Reef is Born!

Started on 1/18 with a 5 gallon tank, some gravel, 1 lbs of live rock, and "moe" the trusty juv. tomato clown that I purchased. I soon realized that wasn't going to work out for Moe or me.

Late January 06

Moe complained enough that I purchased a 6 gal NanoCube and did the nanocustoms light upgrade to the tank. I loved the tank and the setup, but with my military barracks lacking in AC it got too hot for moe. So we changed tanks.

End of February 06

Moe's wishes for a cooler living space came true and he got a 11gal (I call it 10 so my RA doesnt freak) Jalli tank with 55w PC light. Moe also got some companionship from a 3-stripe damsel and yellow watchman goby (who ended up killing himself... he must not have cared for me waking up at 0500)

New%20Tank%20Setup%20001.jpg

New tank as of Feb 06

Throughout that semester I added some corals from Coral Dynamics and made some mods to the tank (booted the Skilter!). In May it was time to make the 500 mile trip home. Moe and his trusty new friends (a 6-line wrasse and Randal's goby puts fish count to 3) travelled in a carefully packed cooler to Atlanta.

Reef%20Pics%20003.jpg

Moe and Friend's house during the summer in Atlanta

Atlanta has many the fine aquarium store, unlike Blacksburg, Virginia. I did some major stocking up on corals and built myself a custom hood for a MH pendant. I now run 70W MH and some actinic PC daily, with a LED moonlight fixture for night. Over the summer I also built what would become home to a mantis shrimp, but that's another topic completely.

You've heard me talking about military stuff-- I am a member of the Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets. I am a company commander which takes all of my free time. Hence why I dont surf N-R as often during the school year as I do at home. Its amusing having a 10 gal reef in the middle of an environment where I wear a uniform daily and wake up at 0500....

Aquarium%201106%20034.jpg

Heres the reef as of today. Note the military hat siting on the corner of my desk :P

Aquarium%201106%20009.jpg

And some macro shots of the tank:

Aquarium%201106%20003.jpg

Aquarium%201106%20033.jpg

clown.jpg

Thats mr. moe-- whoes still with me despite some rough times

green%20zoas.jpg

shroom2.jpg

So there she is. I also have (not macro-ed but you can probably find them in the FTS) a large metallic open brain, a large feather duster, large cleaner shrimp, pep shrimp, and a ton of zoas and shrooms.

I welcome comments and critiques. Everything I have learned in this hobby I have learned by someone else pointing it out.

Future plans?

Future plans you ask? I would like to get a protein skimmer that is worth half a damm on this tank. Lack the $$$. And coming up with a plan for how to care for the tank over my month long xmas break---- taking it home isnt an option, I'm going to Russia!

Speckled%20Shroom.jpg

Xenia.jpg

Yellow%20Polyps.jpg

Zoas.jpg

Theres some more for you.... B)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woo Woo!

Beautiful tank Kris! Thanks for taking time out of your busy day to catch us up on your tank.

Is there going to be anyone there over Christmas break? Maybe someone you'd be willing to trust with the overseeing of the tank - hate to see you come back from Russia to a crashed tank :(

Sadly since its a barracks every soul will be gone. Not a one. My best idea as of yet is to take the fish to the LFS and pay to have someone "fish sit" and pray for the corals. Everything except the brains are pretty easy going.

WOOT!

Thanks for sharing, very cool story! I dig how you kept all of the original inhabitants! Most would just sell, or take down, and start all over! so... PROPS!

D

I was almost going to be down in your neck of the woods this weekend (it's my cousins wedding down in VA) but I couldn't get the time off.

Like I said -- tank looks great - keep up the great work and watch for my new 10G coming soon!

Moe is def a cool guy. When I got him he was 3/4 in long and had three stripes like your typical clown, but has completely shed his back stripe and his middle stripe is very thin. I thought it would be neat watching my juv. clown grow up.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys-- heres a question. What do I do with the tank over break? I dont have an ATO and am skeptical of getting one incase it floods---if i just take the the fish home will everything else be okay for a month if i clean it well before? aahhhH!

Getting someone to watch my tank in my dorm room isnt an option-- theres no one here. And I cant take it home because I am going to Russia and wont be back to my house before coming back to school.

I really like the look of your tank, but there is a LONG branch rock on the top that is like BAM, its not a big deal but if you could put it more to the side it would be better. As for that Cangrats to you. Very nice tank, and i can tell you care for your little fish =). I wish you the best of luck!

-Samoyed

If you have enough time to figure the rates of evap out..... You could use an air pump on a timer. Run the pump into a sealed container, this would need a line leading up to the tank. The air pump pressurizes the container, forcing water up to the tank. You can get timers that are programable for multiple time per hour. It may work, no guarantees.

Its a shame I didn't know there were nano tanks when I was at tech :)If you're buddies with anyone on the VT rescue squad and move the tank a little way, there's always somebody in BBurg 24/7 with absolutely nothing to do, most of the time they stay at the station. You could see if the people there would be willing to watch it, most of them are pretty nice. BTW did you know Niemann?

Go Hokies!!

BTW did you know Niemann?

That name is really really familiar--cant say I can put a face to it but I definately know the name.

See its hard to test the rate of evap because I have no interest in killing myself before I go. We have to close the windows and theres no AC, so the temp in the room gets really high, resulting in a higher evap rate. Since I dont enjoy a sauna room I am not keen on doing a test to find out... Closest I can get is this week when I leave for thanksgiving marking how much evap i get in a week?

Edit-- I also had to re-aquascape recently because I had to move the tank, so that giant rock is gone and we have a remora skimmer!

Some new pics since I teased you telling you I re-did it:

Brain Coral (Pinapple Brain):

tank%2011.jpg

Blue shroom (Metallic) and feather duster:

tank%20111.jpg

Moe in his Hair Shrooms- which are getting ready to split again:

tank%20112.jpg

FTS:

tank%20113.jpg

bucknellreefer

If there is a local reef club you could always try and find someone to take care of the tank while you are away for break. I am lugging my 10g home for break, its going to be a pain...

Your tank looks really great, gotta love the 10g dorm reef!

Archived