Pod Your Reef

Does your spouse or partner share your love of aquariums?

Christopher Marks

yes. my gf likes fresh water fish better, but i recently bought her a 12g reef tank with the 70w MH and shes had a field day filling it up with corals she likes. i find her all the time peering into my tank saying.. hey.. i want a piece of that coral.. or hey.. you dont need 2 shrimp in there do you? hahaha! ive created a monster!

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^ :huh:

I just had to post on this thread. Being a girl myself, I couldn't imagine a wife of someone in the hobby being nasty about their husband/boyfriend keeping a fishtank. FISHTANK for crying out loud. I'd rather my significant other spend money on macro algae and activated carbon rather than throwing dollar bills at nasty girls at a strip club or gambling or something.

Now I could see if he was scrounging for change to purchase an sps frag instead of putting dinner on the table for his children or letting the bills go unpaid - then there's a reason to complain. Also leaving a HUGE mess all over the livingroom wouldn't be acceptable either, but if it's kept neat - then who cares!

My ex was pretty supportive in a way that he couldn't care less what I did with my time and money - just as long as I left him alone. I could never be with a guy that wasn't supportive/uninterested in it. I want to be with someone that wants to take road trips to different fish stores, swaps, and aquariums. The hobby can be boring sometimes when you don't have someone to share it with.

Okay I'm done. :P

[/rant]

that is EXACTLY how my wife and her family feel about my tank. shes like hey at least i don't gotta worry about your messing around with strippers or getting wasted at a bar. she'd much rather me have this hobby and it looks really nice in our living room.

meganistkrieg

After seeing my parents' koi pond, I started telling my boyfriend all about the freshwater tanks that I kept in college and how I've always wanted to keep a nano-reef but never had the money/space for it. Suprise! He bought me my BC14 for my birthday and has paid for the majority of everything else since then because he enjoys it so much. He wouldn't want to put the hands-on work into it that I do, but he doesn't mind paying for it, so we joke that I'm just the tank sharecropper. :lol:

He doesn't care for my clownfish pair but he adores the cleaner shrimp and emerald crab (his favorite, he insisted that we get one!) and he's REALLY getting into the coral now. Half the time, he's the one dragging me to the LFS telling me that we need more frags! I'm lucky too that when I tell him I can't afford it right now, he says he'll just buy it. A reefer girl's dream! In fact, right now he's gunning for a hammer coral and hey, who am I to say no? :wub: I've also casually started mentioning how nice I think a 30 Long would look in our living room, right next to the bookshelves... :ninja:

He has his own hobbies, though. He's an obsessive audiophile, so he tweaks the stereo equipment (and I get to kick back and enjoy the sounds) and I tweak the tank (and he gets to watch all the saltwater antics). It's win-win for we nerds. :P

YES, my boyfriend is definitely into it, even more than me I would say. He has a lot of big dreams but we're broke college kids and unfortunately til we are done and have actual careers we'll probably have little more than the 16g I have now. But he did have a 210g complete with stand, canopy, odyssea lighting, sump, even a canister filter since the previous owners used it for freshwater. He got it at all for $400, but since he lost his job he had to sell it. I thought he might cry at first, but I think he's come around to realize it'd be years before we could afford to completely stock a tank that size.

So yes, it's great to have a guy that not only goes with me on expeditions to different stores, but encourages them. He's also great to have around to ask his opinion about certain equipment or ideas because he's probably already researched it more than I have.

JayEeeTeeEss

My girlfriend doesn't like all the money I spend on it, but loves what my money buys!! Also likes to feed the fish haha!

My gf recently asked if my tank was more important than her. lol I told her, " Sweetie it's not my tank, it's OUR tank." She did not find it funny.... I'm constantly trading stuff I do not have to people I do not know to explain new corals and fish. lol If she knew how much I spent on her favorite coral (hot pink aquacultured yuma) she would castrate me! :tears:

I want to be with someone that wants to take road trips to different fish stores, swaps, and aquariums. The hobby can be boring sometimes when you don't have someone to share it with.

rolf will you marry me? :D

:eek: Idea, how about a dating thread? People looking for love who share this hobby? Or maybe I should contact Match.com and intrest them in making this one of the compatibility questions!! lol For a young guy I have always been a little old school in this area, I figured something was "wrong" with someone who had to go online to find someone. However I do think that I am coming around to the idea. It actually makes alot of sense.

PS: no offense was intended in my " wrong " comment. :P Thanks!

iroll253 your too late pm already sent :haha:

^ :huh:

I'd rather my significant other spend money on nasty girls at a strip club.

Now I could see if he was scrounging for change to purchase an sps frag instead of putting dinner on the table for his children or letting the bills go unpaid - then there's a reason to complain. Also leaving a HUGE mess all over the livingroom wouldn't be acceptable either, but if it's kept neat - hen who cares!

My ex was pretty supportive in a way that he couldn't care less what I did with my time and money - just as long as I left him alone. I could never be with a guy that wasn't supportive/uninterested in it. I want to be with someone that wants to take road trips to different fish stores, swaps, and aquariums. The hobby can be boring sometimes when you don't have someone to share it with.

[/rant]

:P
  • 3 weeks later...

I wasn't sure how my lady would be. However, I have caught her gazing into my tank on many occasions and, when I said I needed to go and buy some RO she texted me saying: "I love going in the LFS, there's always something new. I'm hooked."

Get in.

My hubby loves the results of my work. He wouldn't know how to do a water change, but he loves to feed the fish and gets into all the cool happenings inside the tank. Tonite he's going to help me kill Aipatasia with a hypodermic needle and lemon juice.

My boyfriend isn't as in to it as i am, but he likes watching my tank and he asks questions about it. He'll go to the lfs with me, and i'll go to model train stores and welding shops with him. Money isn't mentioned on either end though...as it is we both spend way to much on our respective hobbies lol

Meengineer0128

My girlfriend at first thought it was wierd.... Then she thought it was cool to watch me feed and interact with the fish... Then she liked helping me pick out corals..... Then all of a sudden, out of no where, she says "babe, why don't you buy a chiller so we can open the windows and turn off the a/c". I said that they can cost between 200-500$ (I have more than one tank that it would cool). And she said the two words every reefer wants to here from there loved one.... "thats fine". My jaw dropped. She even uses HER OWN MONEY to buy corals for my tank. I think I found "THE ONE".

jeremy0411

lol definetly my first quote :P

And she said the two words every reefer wants to here from there loved one.... "thats fine". My jaw dropped. She even uses HER OWN MONEY to buy corals for my tank. I think I found "THE ONE".

She's a Marine Tech grad and grew up loving the ocean. She's not quite as into the aquariums as I am, but she's always been very supportive. In fact, my first successful saltwater aquarium was setup at her apartment when we were in college. She's always helped with the dirty work, but the design stuff and final decisions are all on my shoulders. She has claimed the most recent tank, the 15 nano, as hers though.

Between racing the cars and all of the aquariums, I've got myself quite the little enabler. I'm not letting her get away.

My girlfriend is a flip-flopper. She loves my tank most of the time, but as soon as we get in a fight I hear, "Why don't you just go get on nano-reef and find a girlfriend on there. You spend all of your time and money on that anyways so why don't you just make it your girlfriend."

Two hours later she is helping me make a wish list.. j

You have to love women though right?

• 4 weeks later...
superdavesds

Yep, she dont put her hands in unless she finds something she just cant live without. I do all maintenance but she is the one that pushes me to try stuff. lol (and makes me keep it looking good)

• 4 weeks later...
FishOnTheBrainCoral

my little lady had a problem with it until about 6 mo. ago when it started to look pretty good. I kept getting "I can believe how much money you have spent for a bucket of rocks and ugly brown things you call coral!"

Then everything grew and colored up. now she brags it up to all who enter.

If she gives me hard time about it I ask if she would rather I spend my money on hookers and blow. since I would have a lot of spare time... She simmers down a notch.

BTW

superdavesds... Your avatar is just wrong! lol

Archived