Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Does your spouse or partner share your love of aquariums?

Christopher Marks

My wife likes to look at the tank, that's it though. If I ask her to do anything with the tank she starts telling me that it is not her tank and she doesn't like it because it takes up space and it cost money. I just tell her that she is crazy and that she cannot go buy anymore shoes or purses because they take up space and cost money. She ussually stops when I start in on her shoes and purses.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I asked him the other day if he ever thought I'd have a tank I with which I was TRULY happy (because I'm in the process of building 2 tanks now), he said no. And then he sighed. He seems to understand my addiction and is patient with it, but he doesn't share it.

• 3 weeks later...

My wife is interested in the tank and loves to watch the interactions between the different tank inhabitants. She enjoys it enough for me to incorporate a large aquarium as a design feature in our basement that I am currently finishing. She also finds the biology and chemistry interesting. She loves that it brings me the pleasure that it does as well. She even does a good job pretending to look interested and not yawning right in my face when I discuss with her the difference between a regular venturi skimmer and one that uses a needle wheel, our start trying to explain how intensity, Kelvin, lux and par, watts, etc. factor into lighting. But, all that being said, she would not set up and maintain one on her own, which is the only way I have escaped keeping seahorses to date!!!! ;)

Prof

We keep our monies separated, so as long as I am keeping up with my monthly contributions to the household expenses, reefing costs are my business. Wifey likes the tank; as so many others have said, she would never have one of her own, but she likes having one in the house that I am maintaining - she thinks all the varmints are very cool.

The funniest thing, though, is that she says the best part of me having the obsession is that it keeps me out of her hair!

I kept (and still do keep) Various cichlids for the past 3 years, I have a 90 (at my dads house for him) a 55 in my living room, a 40 upstairs, the girlfriend hated them. She didnt think the tanginyikans were bright enough. And the Malawi's were "ehh"

so I finally decieded to dive into salt with a nano reef last month and needless to say $1,000 later with only 2 corals and a CuC she thinks I'm crazy. :) but on the bright side I think I'm set on equipment for good on this tank.

My gf (of 11 months) has been completely behind me since the start of this... She's even bought stuff for my tank when I was broke... hooray!

He hates it.

Oh well, I told him if I can't buy anything else for it he isn't getting that Tiffany&Co. ring he's been fawning over for months :ninja:

My boyfriend thinks it's kind of weird that a girl is so interested in reefkeeping especially since it's so complicated and requires quite a bit of maintenance - I can hardly keep my room clean and I'm very disorganized.

my fiance has always supported my obsessions i.e. racing cars, racing dirtbikes, and my fish problem

we started in the hobby together with one faithful trip to petco looking at a small fish bowl. we've been through the over excited times early in the hobby of over stocking our 1st tank, crashing our first tank, building our first sump , driving 3 hours to buy 1 fish, to buying me frogspawn for christmas

the last 2 years she's been going to school about 4 hours away from me in winnipeg, MB she has her own nano cube dx that i gave to her for her birthday. im jealous becuase she has multiple well stocked fish stores

its kind of nice havin her around sometimes, she makes me think before i go crazy and spend a bunch of money on something

she was brought up in a sled racing family so i think the only thing we dont see eye to eye on is getting her on a bike

oh and if i havent rubbed it in enough she was the captain of her highschool cheerleading squad, models for a few local wedding stores, goes to school to teach proffesional ballet and can do huge smokey burnouts in my race car

i think i got a good one. sorry for all the details

My boyfriend is a gazillionaire. No joke.

got me beat there

i fix cars for a living and she teaches dance wooho!

wait is there such thing as a gazillionaire?

• 3 months later...

my g/f thinks its cute, she better like though cuz she says she is going to major in marine biology.

im gonna get her a pico for her b-day hopefully she will be addicted and love it as much as me :P

greeneyes

We both enjoy it, however it's usually my job on keeping them clean and so on. I NEVER lie about the price of what things cost, do to he loves to hunt, and we made a deal for what he spends in bow stuff I spend in sw & fw stuff. This keeps things even. I got lots to go since he just spent $800.00 on a new Diamond Black Ice bow.

Mine gets annoyed with my obsession (esp when I came home with my new nano) but then when it's all up and beautiful becomes an expert on fish health and absolutely everything... even reefing... though I have done a ton of research... he knows exactly what he's talking about not reading a thing. He had to remove his desk from where my cichlid tank was because it distracted him too much. :lol:

soundtweequor

the wifey is pretty down for the cause. she actually purchased my first group of CUC and is looking forward to purchasing newe inhabitants too! Yup I think she's a keeper!

Pinner Reef

Lucky you... My last GF kept asking why it was that I spent sooo much Time with the tank......... Note the past tense

-pinner

fraggle rockette

the bf doesnt care so much- he thinks it's cute that "i take care of things" (fish, plants, etc.) and it keeps me out of his hair :P

my roommate likes to look at it and make suggestions from time to time, but she doesnt get her hands dirty. lol. very supportive of the new 24g being in the living room tho- awesome. :D

My g/f picks out nice sps colonies, buys them, and takes them home, and even after that, she preps the epoxy sticks and super glue.

She is the best.

My g/f will watch the tank sometimes, point out or call me up at work about irregularities she'll notice, but otherwise she's like "whatever" about the tank. She doesn't like it because she says it gets more attention than she does, and takes up too much money. :P

cosmic1981

bf bought me the tank for my birthday last year.

little did we know that this hobby is expensive!!!

but yea...i take him to lfs instead of the malls now.

he was laughin at me earlier that i am actually spending time on the fourm.

overall, he appreciates my tank and think its good for me to have a hobby.

• 7 months later...
Big_Bruddah77

My girl friend hated my tank and all the time and money i put in to it. But now she has her own nano reef tank and we love going to our LFS on the weekends and going on this website together! :P

Archived