Cultivated Reef

Just got a 'hug' from my emerald crab

MrsPeet15

Ray, How were u able to get a Hold of such a Venomous Octopus? Also, having researched them, they don't fare too well in captivity,

let alone the collecting and shipping.

I have read that they may make it in an aquarium for a few months at best, since they are mostly collected as adults and they also have a short life span.

I am just curious. I am not in anyway trying to act as a Tang Police would act.

Cheers :)

They used to come in pretty regularly. Haven't seen one in years, though.

Mine was a rescue.... Well, I rescued the guy who bought it, I guess is more accurate.

Yeah, they have about a 1 year lifespan. Some have said 2, but I don't believe that to be true. Mine was an adult and lived for 6 months. Died around December, or January, iirc. So, it died when it was supposed to.

Honestly, I wouldn't care if you were trying to be the tang police. I got flamed more than once for having one. It was always kind of idiotic to me. Since everyone who flamed me for having one had any clue about them, or their care. And, it's irrelevant now, as that was way back in 05 or 06, anyhow.

Cool critters, kinda boring as pets, though.

They used to come in pretty regularly. Haven't seen one in years, though.

Mine was a rescue.... Well, I rescued the guy who bought it, I guess is more accurate.

Yeah, they have about a 1 year lifespan. Some have said 2, but I don't believe that to be true. Mine was an adult and lived for 6 months. Died around December, or January, iirc. So, it died when it was supposed to.

Honestly, I wouldn't care if you were trying to be the tang police. I got flamed more than once for having one. It was always kind of idiotic to me. Since everyone who flamed me for having one had any clue about them, or their care. And, it's irrelevant now, as that was way back in 05 or 06, anyhow.

Cool critters, kinda boring as pets, though.

Thats Cool! I was more curious. Not intending to come across as a flame.

I was more interested in ur experience with it :)

Sounded cool. But oh the Danger if bitten.

Always did maintinence with a card explaining what the toxin was and what to do for me, and the cordless phone in my pocket. That way, if bitten, I could dial 911 and lay down in the front yard to wait for the ambulance. Lol.

It wasn't an aggressive animal, though. It only flashed as a warning. Never went at me. It would just wait until I was almost touching it to flash it's warning, though. Kind of unnerving when you just thoroughly checked the area for it, and never saw it. But sure enough, it was right there the whole time.

Once I got bit by a clownfish. Not just a little nip, but a real bite that left a mark (almost drew blood). She had more power in her JAWS than I would have thought possible. Just when you thought it was safe to do tank maintenance.

Ounce I almost lost my finger, to my puffer fish. XD had to get stitches.

I don't show any fear and mine is relentless. My clown retreats back to her frogspawn then charges at me again. She was such a friendly clown but once she got a mate and they hosted the frogspawn- her aggressiveness with everything has increased.

She attacks the gravel vacuum, turkey baster, my hands, the gloves, head butts my shrimp, smacks hermits with her tail...

Yes, I was lightly stung by a frogspawn. It felt like an elastic band snapped and my skin was red.

I wear nitrile gloves now, they are thicker than latex or vinyl. Medical grade.

When fragging, i wear gloves and eyewear.

Been stung in the ocean from a jellyfish and cut open my knee on liverock.

Ok so basically what I've learnt from everyone's replies are clowns can be super mean!!!! DEFINITELY do not fancy putting my hand in a tank with a blue ring octopus, I bet you'd know about it if that had a go!

I fed our friends reef tanks last time they where away. Their dog fish puffer hand feeds lance fish. I pulled my hand out 3 times before I let it take anything - the teeth on it are horrific and after seeing what it did to a frozen lance fish I don't think I was being OTT......

Ok so basically what I've learnt from everyone's replies are clowns can be super mean!!!!

Yeah, but for some reason, I always have to have a pair in my tanks. Maybe because they are so iconic, IDK.

Yeah, but for some reason, I always have to have a pair in my tanks. Maybe because they are so iconic, IDK.

I find them absolutely fascinating to watch, and some of the variations are stunning. They have snowflakes and Picasso (I think?) in our LFS at the moment. Our tank is currently crazy small so no chance of any clowns yet but when we upgrade I would be sorely tempted by these - I head straight over to watch them everytime we go in!

Clowns are fun. They are entertaining.

Even when my clown is in the attack, I find it funny.

My concern is more for the clown than me because I don't want her getting hurt by a razor, vacuum, or by jumping out.

Now if it was a lionfish, blue ring octopus etc. - it would be a whole different story. I wouldn't find it entertaining. Lol.

Clowns are fun. They are entertaining.

Even when my clown is in the attack, I find it funny.

My concern is more for the clown than me because I don't want her getting hurt by a razor, vacuum, or by jumping out.

Now if it was a lionfish, blue ring octopus etc. - it would be a whole different story. I wouldn't find it entertaining. Lol.

They really are, they're so active and fun to watch going about their business! I love watching my friends nestle about in their carpet nem, man she loves that thing!

Yeah I have to admit I'm far far too nervous to have anything like that. Their trigger fish always s***s me up when I feed the tank too because it's tiny and fast, it appears right next to your hand before you realise. Not venomous but I reckon you'd feel it if one of those got you.

On a slightly sweeter note,their cleaner wrasse gives you a good tidy up when you have an arm in the tank

My clowns never attacked me. Even the old pair I had years ago before breaking that tank down to move.

These new ones greet me when I look in. And flip and do tricks so I feed them. they brush up against my arm when my hands in there like "look I'm cute feed me"

Haha! Recently my male ocellaris clownfish started to defend the pair's territory and would try to intimidate my hand (would even test nip at me). He would watch my face to see when I wasn't looking, then would make his move. I eventually started wearing those extra thick aqua gloves when working anywhere near him. For some reason he was afraid of the gloves, but I knew that even if he full out bit me, I'd hardly feel anything. Bring it on!

For some reason, I feel that if you show fear, they actually become more aggressive. Not sure how true that is.

I don't know what it is with these killer Clowns but mine did the same thing last year. It wasn't that it hurt so much, but it is the startle reflex that gets ya. I eventualy got tired of being attacked everytime I put my hand in the tank and retaliated.

The next time she bit me, I flicked her hard with my finger and she ran into her cave and I didn't see her for 2 days. After that, she always ran and hid was I was in the tank.

Always did maintinence with a card explaining what the toxin was and what to do for me, and the cordless phone in my pocket. That way, if bitten, I could dial 911 and lay down in the front yard to wait for the ambulance. Lol.

It wasn't an aggressive animal, though. It only flashed as a warning. Never went at me. It would just wait until I was almost touching it to flash it's warning, though. Kind of unnerving when you just thoroughly checked the area for it, and never saw it. But sure enough, it was right there the whole time.

OMG - This!! Amazing! So interesting I really appreciate the share.

My clowns never attacked me. Even the old pair I had years ago before breaking that tank down to move.

These new ones greet me when I look in. And flip and do tricks so I feed them. they brush up against my arm when my hands in there like "look I'm cute feed me"

Mine do the same!! It looks like they are wagging their tail to say hi! So sweet!

Whenever I get bit by my clown I scream very loudly. I'm an easily startled person :lol: my mom has actually left the house before because my shrieks annoyed her too much.

Whenever I get bit by my clown I scream very loudly. I'm an easily startled person :lol: my mom has actually left the house before because my shrieks annoyed her too much.

Lol my daughters do that. Random screams. Annoys the hell out of me and like your mom I walk out lol.

Hm. maybe I just got lucky. My clowns never fight me or each other or anything.

I admit they get bored and torment everything in the tank. But not aggressive. More like poking out of curiosity. Then they swim away fast. Like a kid ringing a doorbell and running.

I grabbed a rock with lots of bristle worms on it. The pain was unique and not pleasant.

I just discovered a legit fireworm in my tank as well - about an inch from where I grabbed a rock... I ripped as much of it as I could out of the hole with tweezers but I think I left some chunks - hopefully it doesn't regenerate.

I ended up with a colony of fireworms - I thought they were common bristleworms but nope! Put two melanurus wrasses in and I see no worms, fire or bristle and they also took care of my rust brown flatworms. I was happy to see the fireworms go most!

I have a 6 inch worm I don't know what it is bristle or fire.

My rock came out of a 300G display. I try to catch it with water bottles with shrimp pellets in it doesn't work. I just catch hermits lol.

Because of him I keep my hands out and use tongs and turkey basters and a mini rake to stirr the sand dunes.

Archived