Pod Your Reef

Reeferbrownies 20 long reef thread

reeferbrownies

reeferbrownies

Thanks! I might do dwarf seahorses also some day. I have been reading polarcollisions thread as well. I am interested in how the bbs auto feeder does long term. I will probably use a standard 10 tank and turn it into an AIO.

Only way id be able to do such a tank is with that feeder, without it I'm 100% i won't be able to keep them alive

Once I stabilize the tank Ill be able to start getting some easier SPS, also this is when cash allows :D

maybe a clam, dragonet...

Ah I need to stop dreaming, ugh

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
reeferbrownies

Update time, the acan on the sandbed disappeared yesterday. After some digging and interrogation of my hermit crabs i found it buried under a rock where the pistol was camping out.

Everything is doing fine right now, but I've been having some debate as to what I should do.

My clowns have been hosting my hammer but I would rather that they host a RBTA instead, if I was to get a RBTA I would have to figure out how to get them into it

Im also debating about whether or not i should get some black ice clowns or long fins, I found them really cheap locally.

reeferbrownies

Grabbed the beginnings of a working cleanup crew today

1 trochus

2 nerites

1 nassarius

for the price I was getting them I may have just as well ordered from reefcleaners

will do that when i can

Also I know this isn't a freshwater community but I did setup a Crystal bee tank pictures later

reeferbrownies

Wait... you can get longfin clowns?! how much? I havne't seen them anywhere yet

on eBay they're like a few hundred bucks for a pair, but a store near me sells them for $35 each, and on a special they had a pair for $49.

Im thinking about replacing my clowns because

a they are hosting and bothering my hammer

b they dont look that good

c i want clownfish to host a bta

So i might pick up some longfins abut another guy near me sells black ice snowflakes for $40/pair and a bunch of other designer clowns

so its been a tough decision

Well your Point C is going to be any captive bred clowns haha. You can't really force them... just give them time. There's a chance the new ones go right for the hammer again. Just depends. I have a black ice and Premium snowflake. Honestly I don't think i've seen anyone here with the longfins!

You can encourage clowns to partner with a BTA by keeping them all in a colander secured in the tank for several days. Once they get together, you can then place the BTA in the tank and release the fish. Worked for my pair, which had been ignoring the BTA for weeks.

Do this when you get your BTA instead of placing it in the tank and seeing how that goes first. It is a pain/irritating to the BTA to have to peel it off later for the colander trick. I was lucky in that mine moved onto a small rock and I was able to just pluck out the entire rock.

Catch your fish in the evening/night when they're sleeping.

Good luck. Nice tank, by the way.

reeferbrownies

Some bad quality photos for now

IMG_20160910_122159_zps7duetdhh.jpg

The clowns seem to be getting stung by the hammer that thyre trying to host, they havent gone into the hammer for a while. Doesnt look like black ich to me

Broke up that combo rock, the rock was weak enough to break with my hands, and once I did and I noticed these black patches

IMG_20160910_122151_zpsipgnuxyw.jpg

i did some more research and the consensus is that they are anaerobic pockets.

The combo rock wasnt faring that well I had multiple ricordea mushrooms melt to nothing, took one off and moved it to the other side of the tank (orange blob) hopefully it recovers. GSP completely came off and I think its not doing well at all. note to self: NEVER buy a combo rock because of the fact that it takes up soo much space and its hard to satisfy the conditions of every coral.

SHRIMP TANK!

IMG_20160910_122325_zpsom5ieluh.jpg

IMG_20160906_204536_zpsod0nnqpd.jpg

A friend at school mentioned that his mom was really into plants and shrimp and freshwater stuff. She graciously gifted me shrimp and some plants

Currently there are around 20 black crystal, red crystal, and golden bee shrimps along with one cherry shrimp, a clown killfish, and 2 horned nerites. Might start a post on members aquarium if anyone might be interested on the freshwater side

Great looking setup.

Thanks for looking! :D

You can encourage clowns to partner with a BTA by keeping them all in a colander secured in the tank for several days. Once they get together, you can then place the BTA in the tank and release the fish. Worked for my pair, which had been ignoring the BTA for weeks.

Do this when you get your BTA instead of placing it in the tank and seeing how that goes first. It is a pain/irritating to the BTA to have to peel it off later for the colander trick. I was lucky in that mine moved onto a small rock and I was able to just pluck out the entire rock.

Catch your fish in the evening/night when they're sleeping.

Good luck. Nice tank, by the way.

Thanks for the tips especially catching the clowns at night. It was a pain catching the damsel when I had it and doing during the night will help tremendously.

Well your Point C is going to be any captive bred clowns haha. You can't really force them... just give them time. There's a chance the new ones go right for the hammer again. Just depends. I have a black ice and Premium snowflake. Honestly I don't think i've seen anyone here with the longfins!

Maybe Ill be the first one :lol:

clowns will host what they choose. my clowns host different LPS all the time. i added a BTA and one will host the BTA but the other goes from duncan to hammer to frogspawn to gonipora.

silly clowns

Just checking in - I thought I had already commented but somehow I managed to follow your thread without ever commenting :rolleyes:

Everything looks nice, the scape is beautiful! How long have you had the tank set up now?

reeferbrownies

Just checking in - I thought I had already commented but somehow I managed to follow your thread without ever commenting :rolleyes:

Everything looks nice, the scape is beautiful! How long have you had the tank set up now?

Thanks!the saltwater for 3 months, and shrimp for one
reeferbrownies

Bad news first: found 2 shrimp dead in the freshwater, cause is yet to be determined. And my yellow watchman goby was found being consumed by a hermit crab. Only cause I can think of either its defective fins and spine caused an early death or the pistol shrimp killed it (they weren't paired). Not a good day for my tanks.

Future Plans: The pistol shrimp isn't a pretty addition, so I will probably try to remove it from the tank and sell it or something, if anyone has ideas for a trap id appreciate it. Might go for another shrimp/ goby pair, most likely yasha and the candy pistol.

Yesterday I fragged the giant zoanthid rock. First time fragging and it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be.

Whelp, well just have to see how things play out.

• 2 weeks later...
reeferbrownies

New FTS

629239dc-12fd-4972-8fa3-6857b4d75d6b_zps

One wall of my bedroom, cut out a hood/ Canopy to mitigate light from the blinding lightbulb

86d46da2-8e35-4a5c-866b-9bd3c6479472_zps

I also do killifish so heres some of them

Fundulopanchax Gardneri P82 Killifish

IMG_20160924_192138-2_zpslufmsis6.jpg

Also attended the bi monthly Chicago Killifish Association meeting and picked up two pairs of Killifish and a Mosaic Plant.

Heres the first pair of Ogenese GHP Blue Killifish

IMG_20160924_192027-2_zpsmrcuu80a.jpg

Heres the beautiful Mosaic Plant in the Shrimp tank

457cf0a2-e3b1-4424-a934-503b6af3336c_zps

And heres the new FTS of the shrimp tank, the Red root floaters on top colored up a nice pinkish red

abb9e9d9-304d-435a-b809-153e684fc73c_zps

Along with that I have a couple of shrimp with eggs!

• 2 weeks later...
reeferbrownies

Headed over to Seven Seas for their Anniversary sale and picked up some corals this week and a nem

IMG_20161003_213920_zpsc3bxd8bp.jpg

IMG_20161003_213846_zpsj95r1zrw.jpg

heres the nem

IMG_20161003_213840_zpsghbscfwl.jpg

the front two are from seven seas, the one in the back is from Sho tank, if anyone could ID them thatd be great

IMG_20161003_213832_zps0qjvzwcx.jpg

got some sps if someone could ID this Poccilipora thatd also be great

IMG_20161003_213825_zpsznn4oex4.jpg

and theres a millipora and an acro frag

reeferbrownies

i was there too! got some fish but too many people crowding over the corals so i didn't get any. how much were those zoa frags??

hmm what time did you go. i was there at 11-2:30 the zoa frags from sevenseas were$5

hmm what time did you go. i was there at 11-2:30 the zoa frags from sevenseas were$5

omg, why didn't i get them?!?!?! I didn't bother to ask cuz I figure they will be like $20 or something. I was there from 11:30 - 2:30...

reeferbrownies

omg, why didn't i get them?!?!?! I didn't bother to ask cuz I figure they will be like $20 or something. I was there from 11:30 - 2:30...

Ah, so I saw you.. just didn't know what you looked like. Seven seas has great prices. $5 SPS frags without a discount
  • 1 month later...
fishfreak0114

Nice tank! And congrats on your shrimp breeding :) I'm just starting to notice red cherry babies in my tank (I didn't buy very many to start so it's taken a while). How's the nem doing? Updated FTS?

Your lucky to live somewhere with lots of LFS, I have to go an hour and a half for overpriced, often sickly livestock lol.

reeferbrownies

While I sit in my room waiting for election results I decided to finally update the tank after a month.

Finally pulled out the big camera and the results are a lot better than my phone

Here's the new FTS

DSC04314_zpsrrzcjkrt.jpg

I attended the Chicago Aquatic Experience and it was AWESOME.

Met the youtubers King of Diy, LupDiesel, and MsJinkzd

Also picked up this little guy

DSC04310_zps8box8cyb.jpg

The Zoas have recovered from nudibranches, acan has sprouted 6 new heads, and I now have 3 ironman mushroom morphs

DSC04309_zps9cvkr07n.jpg

SPS have been doing surprisingly well and the STN on this Pocillopora has recovered and grown back

DSC04311_zpspbq0rfy5.jpg

Female clown has begun to host the BTA although the bubbles are almost completely gone

A main issue I've been having is the sandbed has been having diatom blooms everyday, so often I've began to think that it's dino, I stirred up the top layer of the sand for the picture and it's already back. Thoughts?

fishfreak0114

The tank looks good!

I hope for your sake it's not Dino's. I had that on my sand bed too, and eventually it started growing on corals (Dino's). Thankfully a 3-day blackout with peroxide dosing and a week of reduced light has seemingly eliminated them.

The FTS looks great!

Your tank is still young, isn't it? I still have occasional diatom blooms on my sandbed in the 40g and it's been up since June. I just keep stirring the sandbed and it get better. Very very slowly...

Archived