inTank Media Baskets

First saltwater project

boostforfun

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like diatoms are starting. It has nothing to do with the cycle but most likely phosphates leaching from rock or silicates from various sources. It is a common first algae to appear in new reefs.

Diatoms do like light as well so keep the lights off during the cycle.

Diatoms, once they have absorbed their food source, die off.

tests for today:

Ammonia: 2.0 ppm

Nitrites: 2.0 ppm

Nitrates: 10 ppm

Phosphate: .10 ppm (new low range seachem test)

Algae appears weaker than it first was.

Still the Ammonia is holding steady. Odd?

Still the Ammonia is holding steady. Odd?

Nah, not really. It can take some time before you see it coming down. Once it notably starts coming down (let's say 1ppm), you can start doing water changes.

I wish I would have been posting like you are in the beginning! It would have helped with so many mistakes- Mostly placement of rock and stocking. I have rock on the back wall and it is impossible to clean :-( My only input is to make sure your rock allows you to clean all areas-- Now moving my rock is a pain in the ass job I haven't done. You are doing great!!

todays test results:

Ammonia: between 1-2.0 pppm

Nitrite: between 2.0 - 5.0 ppm

Nitrate: REALLY high. 80-100ppm (maybe the test got messed up?

Phosphate: Under .05 ppm.

seems like things are getting wacky. it needs topped off by like a gallon but I have no rodi right now. Got to get to store.

Looking good so far. Don't worry about nitrate at this point. You'll likely need to do a 100% water change once ammonia becomes undetectable. That will take care of nitrate and phosphate.

Ammonia is now under .5 parts per million. Should I get ready to do a water change? If so, do I need to add Rodi Water to correct salinity before doing a water change?

Ammonia is now under .5 parts per million. Should I get ready to do a water change?

You're good to go on a water change whenever you want. You can do it this weekend if you have the time.

If so, do I need to add Rodi Water to correct salinity before doing a water change?

You should be topping off your tank with RO/DI (or distilled) daily to keep specific gravity stable. But don't worry if you haven't yet (it's more important after you have added livestock).

It's also easier to mix new saltwater to your desired parameter (say 1.025) than to try to estimate what the sg would have to be to correct the level. So topping off prior to a water change will make keeping the specific gravity on point.

With nitrate so high, I'd switch out all of the water, so it wouldn't really matter if you corrected specific gravity before the water change or not.

I'm sure it doesn't matter that much, but occasionally I'll do a large water change prior to topping off. The thought behind that is that you will be removing more concentrated organics and nutrients by doing a water change prior to diluting it with top off water.

So the short answer is, it doesn't really matter.

Yeah, just confirm that ammonia stays undetectable. Then you should be able to add a small cleanup crew of carnivores and omnivores (hold off on herbivores until you start seeing a little algae). Until you get a fish, you can feed your crew a tiny bit of fish food twice a week. Wait about a week before adding a fish.

Some decent cleanup crew choices might be:

• nassarius snails (carnivore)
  • cerith snails (omnivore)
  • dwarf blue leg hermit crab (omnivore)
  • trochus snails (herbivore)

ok. i will watch ammonia levels for a few days then pick up a small CUC. maybe no more than 3-5 total? do pellets work best for feeding them?

im in no rush for livestock. want to do it right. i kinda want a pistol shrimp/goby pair and a clown

ok. i will watch ammonia levels for a few days then pick up a small CUC. maybe no more than 3-5 total? do pellets work best for feeding them?

Like a couple of each (with the hermits as optional). Whatever you are feed your fish with will be fine (but the smaller the better; so if you are using pellets, you might have to break them up). Again, don't feed your cleanup crew very much.

I also put a bag of carbon in the HOB. I researched it and it seems to be ok. Any problems?

No problems.

Ammonia still at 0. I was in Omaha today so I stopped to get the CUC (as its a 40 min trip each way to my LFS). Got the following:

1- nassarius snail

3- very small cerith snails

2- Astrea snails

resisted the strong urge to buy an emerald crab. They are very cool but im worried about him having enough to eat and chomping the snails, creating a die off ammonia problem.

Hopefully these will work. I am drip acclimating now for an hour or two.

Algae started popping back up with the lights on so the snails will have something to eat for sure.

today test results:

Ammonia: 0 ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 5 ppm

Phosphate: .15-.20

big news is... ALGAE!! Everywhere! Rocks... sand... powerhead... glass... everywhere.

Makes for happy snails, but ugly tanks.

20160907_210137.jpg

Archived