SaltCritters.com

help me decide witch way to baddle my GHA in macro tank..

devaji108

what would you do and why?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. best approch in dealing GHA in macros tank?

• ATS
    • HOB skimmer
    • GFO reactor
    • filter media to AC50
    • carbon dosing

You should read the KISS thread lol :)

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/375885-a-problem-i-see-with-newbies/

Reactors are more efficient but this isn't a SPS tank, it is a macro tank. You could run one for awhile but I would think you would eventually want to remove it. You seem reluctant to spend $, so not sure you would want to buy something temporary.

All you are really trying to do is remove the GHA so the macro can get established and uptake the nutrients. Get that toothbrush out lol

hmm another thought I am having is..I plan to keep sponges or at least give it a shot. another reason I dont want the water supper clean, as they feed on DOC . so wondering if the filter floss would be to much?

I guess I ,ll have to play around and see.

Floss won't catch the super tiny particles. They should be okay with floss. Carbon would take some.

The media rack will actually give you more flexibility. You can run any kind of media you want, and switch as your tank's needs change. So if you get phosphate under control, you can discontinue Phosguard. But a GFO reactor is normally setup to tumble GFO.

DOCs are typically removed via a protein skimmer or activated carbon. However, with a media rack you can occasionally run activated carbon to remove yellowing. Filter floss just removes larger particles, it won't remove dissolved organics (so not to worry).

If it was my tank I would do a multi pronged approach.

-water changes with gravel vac - do a small area at a time not the whole tank at once

-manual removal of GHA

-target feed the fish - try to remove uneaten food if possible

-CUC that eats GHA can/will also eat your macros so be careful in what you choose

-add more macros - something easy to get such as caulerpa or chaeto to absorb excess nutrients

-Add a PO4 controller such as rowaphos in a media bag or Xport-Po4 in a media bag - no reactor needed

HTH

yeah I like the KISS approach. once reason I have never used chemical filtration.

I dont mind spending the $$ just dont want to spend to much as this is my 2nd tank my "expermenal project tank" that said . just trying to find the "best" approach for me. :)

as far as basket VS reactor was just wondering what would be easy, practical and better that all. gotta though out the questions, cover all bases. we all take it when when have buyer remorse.

I was hoping to get some of those nano conch snails ( strombus maculatus)

to add to my CUC. but cant seam to find any. that is one big reason I am here did not add my CUC 1st then over fed my fish when they where not eating. 100% my fault. haha never had a nano before things sure do happen fast on small tanks. learning curve..

so why is BRS ROX carbon better then chemipure elite? I Am guessing that it is ( CPE) carbon + a PO4 remover.

in my case I may want to go carbon by it self then a PO4 remover so I can dial it correct?

sorry for all the silly questions. but I would rather ask and understand.

I will break out the tooth brush and scrub the GHA as well but it still has to go to get removed or just get recycled yeah. the other day i was chaning HA around with a net..one way to remove it.

so why is BRS ROX carbon better then chemipure elite? I Am guessing that it is ( CPE) carbon + a PO4 remover.

in my case I may want to go carbon by it self then a PO4 remover so I can dial it correct?

There is very little GFO in CPE. Chemipure Elite is designed to last for months, so (in a tank with high phosphate) the GFO would become exhausted well before the rest of the media. It's more of a preventative measure than a method to lower PO4.

yeah I like the KISS approach. once reason I have never used chemical filtration.

I'd consider using a HOB filter and basic filter media pretty simple.

^ ha i just watched that video! I am sold...

they do say and show it works so much better in a reactor tho.

anyone have a good media bag suggestion for the phosgard and BRS ROX carbon?

I am thinking these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015S1WW9C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A7SIQ2Y2T11UM

or these:

https://www.amazon.com/Boyd-Enterprises-ABE16720-Chemi-Bags-Aquarium/dp/B00BUFTSV6/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1470772161&sr=1-1&keywords=media+bag

maybe i should just do with the 2nd as i know they will work from the reviews.

yeah I was thinking the ultra fine..the they do have a metal zipper handle. so would require taking that off and rigging up something.

or a side note I am worried that the media basket will over flow. bet reading reviews about that happening. how do you stop that from happening? looks like the back pressure from forcing the water through the media causes it.

just dont want to deal with it, the mess and frustration.

^ ha i just watched that video! I am sold...

they do say and show it works so much better in a reactor tho.

anyone have a good media bag suggestion for the phosgard and BRS ROX carbon?

I am thinking these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015S1WW9C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A7SIQ2Y2T11UM

or these:

https://www.amazon.com/Boyd-Enterprises-ABE16720-Chemi-Bags-Aquarium/dp/B00BUFTSV6/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1470772161&sr=1-1&keywords=media+bag

maybe i should just do with the 2nd as i know they will work from the reviews.

I have the boyd ones, they are very fine and will hold rox no problem. They will even hold purigen. They come with a zip tie that isn't reusable but I just tie the top of mine in a knot. Check the seams on them before use.

I am sure either will work. I might just use some unused panty hose form my lady friend! cpl knots in the ends and there i go..

now on to filter floss. I hear of ppl using ployfill from amazon or walmart. once again I have never used the stuff so it all new to me.

or should I just use the stuff that intank suggests?

seams like it all the same stuff. or do I really need the sheets?

OH I guess i am doing it just orderd the BRS ROX carbon. and about to get the media basket & phosgard ...

a question for you nano gurus. according to BRS they say use 1TBS per 10 gal is in a 20 that 2 TBS how do I add that small about to the media basket? I did not reaize it was that small amount! I guess that is where the pantyhose will come in..

I am missing something here?

well its official bought the AC50 media basket. the intank filer floss ( prob. a cheaper option out there net time.) BRS ROX carbon and the PhosGard 500ml.

I was so on the fence about the media basket. but I pulled the trigger hope I like it!

I have the boyd ones, they are very fine and will hold rox no problem. They will even hold purigen. They come with a zip tie that isn't reusable but I just tie the top of mine in a knot. Check the seams on them before use.

^ agreed

well its official bought the AC50 media basket. the intank filer floss ( prob. a cheaper option out there net time.) BRS ROX carbon and the PhosGard 500ml.

I was so on the fence about the media basket. but I pulled the trigger hope I like it!

I'm glad you are moving forward. It's not a magic hair algae fix, but it will provide you a mechanical filter and a way to control phosphate.

now on to filter floss. I hear of ppl using ployfill from amazon or walmart. once again I have never used the stuff so it all new to me.

or should I just use the stuff that intank suggests?

seams like it all the same stuff. or do I really need the sheets?

I'm sure you can find an alternative, but the sheets fit the basket well. You can rinse them out (no need to replace each time). Using the proper floss (and keeping it clean) will help reduce the risk of it overflowing.

a question for you nano gurus. according to BRS they say use 1TBS per 10 gal is in a 20 that 2 TBS how do I add that small about to the media basket? I did not reaize it was that small amount! I guess that is where the pantyhose will come in..

I am missing something here?

You can mix the carbon and Phosguard together.

InTank's service is good. If you have any questions or concerns, Steve should be able to address them: https://shop.mediabaskets.com/contactus.sc

I'm sure you can find an alternative, but the sheets fit the basket well. You can rinse them out (no need to replace each time). Using the proper floss (and keeping it clean) will help reduce the risk of it overflowing.

I was thinking the same with regards to overflowing.

You can mix the carbon and Phosguard together.

sweet. I was thinking maybe you needed them separate as one will need to be changed before the other.

InTank's service is good. If you have any questions or concerns, Steve should be able to address them: https://shop.mediabaskets.com/contactus.sc

good to know!

I am glad I am moving forward as well. it will be an interesting journey.

Manual approach and KISS.

Good water source

I lightly vacuum my sand bed every week- the whole thing to keep nutrient levels down.

Filter floss(changed weekly) + chemipure blue in hob- hob cleaned monthly

Water changes weekly

Feed lightly but daily

Good cuc

Low bioload

Any gha I have encountered I physically remove with tweezers.

Archived