Pod Your Reef

Need help with Phosphates :(

tigastt

Guys, I'm stuck.

Last week my algae growth has been crazy, my tank is now 10 weeks old, it started with brown and now green.. My water is also getting cloudy

I'm already doing water changes every 2 days 20% using RO and Red Sea Salt since last week but phosphates are still reading between 2-5..

No ammonia

nitrates 5.0-10ppm

Ph 8.4

Salinity 1.023

Calcium 480

My tank is 20 hex with Aquaclear with the gadgets below

HOB for 70 G (Biomax, Purigen, Carbon, Sponge)

Macro M-50 Skimmer

Jebao WB-40

165W LED (12 hours)

Livestock

2 clowns, 1 firefish, 1 diamond goby, a few zoas, hammer coral, ricordia mushroom, 2 Feather Dusters, RBTA

CUC

Hermit, Emerald, 5 Naus Snails, 3 Huge Turbo Snails

I feed LRS Fish Frenzy every night at 6p

Checking my corals they are doing great, even the anemone is very happy..

Please advise :( Do I need to run a refugium ? add a soapdish with chaeto or caulerpa ? or do a 50 % water change

You could run a phosphate remover, like GFO or phosguard? Or make sure the biomax doesn't have build-up on it, then dose bacterial supplement to be skimmed out after bacteria use nitrate and phosphate.

Have you tested for nitrates? Bacteria will use both, but need nitrates as well.

Bring down the light period to 6-8 hours until you have the algae under control, too.

Sponge: Do you make sure all water runs through mechanical filtration before it hits the carbon/purigen/biomax? You can use filter floss and remove it as detritus builds up on it; this'll remove organics before they have a change to break down into phosphates and other inorganic nutrients.

You could run a phosphate remover, like GFO or phosguard? Or make sure the biomax doesn't have build-up on it, then dose bacterial supplement to be skimmed out after bacteria use nitrate and phosphate.

Have you tested for nitrates? Bacteria will use both, but need nitrates as well.

Bring down the light period to 6-8 hours until you have the algae under control, too.

Sponge: Do you make sure all water runs through mechanical filtration before it hits the carbon/purigen/biomax? You can use filter floss and remove it as detritus builds up on it; this'll remove organics before they have a change to break down into phosphates and other inorganic nutrients.

I might get phosguard and add it to my hob then..

Nitrates are 5-10ppm on my test last night

I will change my light setting as well.

Yes I just changed the sponge as well. Regarding the Biomax, I did change it as well as the activated carbon..

Yes I just changed the sponge as well. Regarding the Biomax, I did change it as well as the activated carbon..

If you get phosguard, add very small amounts. I'm talking, 10-15 pellets first, then test daily until phosphates stop going down. Then replace it with another 10-15, etc. That stuff is strong, and can easily shock your corals. What test kit are you using for phosphate? Nitrate?

Biological media isn't something that gets changed, since that's where your biological filter would sit. In saltwater, we generally have rock and sand to act as biological media - the additional biomax may not be necessary, and can do more harm than good if it isn't kept free of debris.

Cencalfishguy56

first question at hand, did you use dry rock and if yes where did you get it from?

first question at hand, did you use dry rock and if yes where did you get it from?

I used live rocks and live sand during the cycle

Ditch the sponge. Even when they are washed weekly and replaced- they are nutrient factories.

Use filter floss and change it 1- 2 x's a week.

What carbon are you using? Some are known to add phos issued.

Some good products to use:

Matrix carbon

Chemi pure Blue

Chemipure Elite

Phosguard

Phosban

Some of these products should not be used together, so research each.

Cencalfishguy56

how fresh was the live rock? Had it been cured? Reason being, I used dry rock with live rock theoretically my dry rock became live rock but the once dry rock was leeching phosphates for months

To test if your rock is leaching, make fresh salt water. Test phosphates, add the rock there and test maybe 24-48 hours later. Keep the water circulating.

I agree with metrokat about checking your live rock if it's leaching phosphates. My live rock was leaching phosphates (bought from a LFS) and unfortunately I wasn't able to combat my dino problem and had to break down my tank. I would check my nitrates daily to see if I had any problems with those and they always read 0 which I believe they were being used up too quickly. I even went as far as changing out the entire sandbed, it helped for about a week then the dinos began to come back.

Okay so update. Here are the changes.

Additions:

Chemipure Elite

Filter Floss

Removed:

Activated Carbon

Sponge

After 1 day with these changes the phosphate level went down, and algae growth stop..

All test are perfect.

The only problem now is my tank is really really cloudy... Is this due to bacterial growth or my diamond goby is mixing too much sand ? No ammonia detected. Again all testing are good

Possibly both. I say let the cloudiness (bacterial bloom, now that algae isn't competing as much) pass. Make sure the surface of the water has agitation for oxygen, and that all water passes through filter floss first in the filtration. The bacteria will settle onto surfaces soon enough.

Possibly both. I say let the cloudiness (bacterial bloom, now that algae isn't competing as much) pass. Make sure the surface of the water has agitation for oxygen, and that all water passes through filter floss first in the filtration. The bacteria will settle onto surfaces soon enough.

Okay thank you, I actually replaced the filter floss already. So How I have it setup (Bottom to top)

Filter Floss

Chemipure Elite

Purigen

Filter Floss

I have the Chemipure and Purigen sandwhiched by the filter floss.

Sounds good! Try to replace the first layer of filter floss every 2-4 days (it'll trap detritus that you want to get rid of), and the second layer every week or two. You can replace that one more often, if you'd like, but you're just avoiding clogging and/or nitrate buildup like with the sponge.

Sounds good! Try to replace the first layer of filter floss every 2-4 days (it'll trap detritus that you want to get rid of), and the second layer every week or two. You can replace that one more often, if you'd like, but you're just avoiding clogging and/or nitrate buildup like with the sponge.

Second layer is the one at the bottom correct ? Yes, I took your advice regarding the sponge and made a lot of research that's why I switched with filter floss :)

Archived