inTank Media Baskets

NanoBox V3.1 Array : Luxeon T, TX, C and SemiLED

DaveFason

Hey guys,

The V3 array has been on the market for a little over a year and a half. The array itself was affordable, powerful and almost perfect. While the overall color was very favorable the current state of reefing has shifted towards heavy blue. As well most DIY wanted the white/lime channel separated instead of being grouped together. Fast forward and 5 weeks ago my pricing was going up on the current arrays due to " old " technology. I have been eyeing the new Luxeon C for a while and my first thought was to swap the Rebels with Luxeon C. Philips has been on the cutting edge of LED emitters and the new Luxeon C was a perfect swap for the Rebels. With numerous colors, incredible solder pad design and a smaller package they were bound to be integrated for NanoBox.

While I was designing I decided to add a fifth channel for the DIY group or custom lighting projects. I wanted to keep the same size and hole pattern so no changes needed to be made. As well if a person wanted to swap arrays it could be done easily. However I did not want this to be and upgrade per say just an update to a current design. All the specs are almost identical. The biggest difference is the neutral white/warm white Luxeon T's are now TX ( same specs just more efficient ) and the Rebel package is now Luxeon C. The Luxeon C lime is now a hair less powerful making the white channel less in your face. Royal Blue channel is exactly the same.

I want to be clear that this is not an " upgrade ". This is a update that needed to happen or pricing would have gone up! However this also allows for me to experiment with a few new colors that may be very beneficial to marine/fresh aquariums.

NanoBox V3.1 :

Channel 1 - Luxeon TX

• 2 - Warm White
  • 1 - Neutral White

Channel 2 - Luxeon C

• 2 - Lime

Channel 3 - Luxeon T

• 4 - Royal Blue

Channel 4 - SemiLED

• 2 - Violet

Channel 5 - Luxeon C

• 1 - Blue
  • 1 - Cyan

27176069531_90486b5da6_z.jpgnanoboxv3.1 by David Fason, on Flickr

Thanks guys!

-Dave

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

One of my only complaints from the V3 was that lime and white were on the same channel, but in not all scenarios should they be run at the same current.

Dis gon' be gud

I dig it. V3's do run heavy on white but with lime on a separate channel this will definitely be good for those who do not like it as white! I know you say it is not an "upgrade" but in my eye I WANT THEM.

Cool update - like the additional channels for those that have a bluefish or other controller capable of the extra channel.

Cool update - like the additional channels for those that have a bluefish or other controller capable of the extra channel.

Also allows for more control on RETRO units on the Sunpowers and even the Quad series ( I do not offer moonlights for ) adding an extra channel.

If you notice in the photo the C line is tiny. They look like Luxeon T's that had a baby. :D

-Dave

What bin CRI are the whites? 85?

Yes sir. I was able to land them and it looks like it will be consistent too.

As well the C line regular blue is spot on.

As for an all C board we will see! Currently this board is pretty amazing and I swear the color blending is better now.

Dave, is there an easy upgrade option for Tides and Duos? I have a Duo I bought a few months ago that I'd like to upgrade.

Dave, is there an easy upgrade option for Tides and Duos? I have a Duo I bought a few months ago that I'd like to upgrade.

it's an update....not an upgrade ;)

jedimasterben

There really isn't any upgrade, it's just slightly different LED choices. The two will be almost identical, just a few percent more lumens from the whites.

I've sent you an e-mail but will ask here as well. Do you have an option for ATI Sunpower 8x 24", something that you can add as additional LED light, maybe that can be attached on the sides etc. also the same question about moonlight. Something that can be an upgrade to the Sunpower without removing bulbs. Thank you!

There really isn't any upgrade, it's just slightly different LED choices. The two will be almost identical, just a few percent more lumens from the whites.

I understand. But I would like that extra control with the separate lime channel.

jedimasterben

I understand. But I would like that extra control with the separate lime channel.

Gotcha. In that case for you it is a welcome upgrade :)

I would imagine the array will still cost $55-60. Won't take too long to swap one out, just gotta keep track of which wire goes where, and then running an extra wire pair up to the fifth channel.

Simulated Fish

Bah! I just sent you an email about getting two v3 for a DIY biocube 8g upgrade! I knew I should have checked here first!

I definitely want the extra channel since I plan on getting a bluefish mini from you also! Please tell me these are ready to ship ASAP!?

Great work as always Dave!

P.S.

Do you think two v3.1 areover kill on a 8g biocube? I want to have good spread, being so close to the waterline and all not sure if o e would cause a "spot light" effect.

jedimasterben

Bah! I just sent you an email about getting two v3 for a DIY biocube 8g upgrade! I knew I should have checked here first!

I definitely want the extra channel since I plan on getting a bluefish mini from you also! Please tell me these are ready to ship ASAP!?

Great work as always Dave!

P.S.

Do you think two v3.1 areover kill on a 8g biocube? I want to have good spread, being so close to the waterline and all not sure if o e would cause a "spot light" effect.

They won't be ready just yet, will be probably several weeks.

Two aren't really overkill over that area as long as you use low output drivers, like all 300mA.

Simulated Fish

They won't be ready just yet, will be probably several weeks.

Two aren't really overkill over that area as long as you use low output drivers, like all 300mA.

That is what I thought. I can always keep them dialed down. Plus that gives me future proofing if I ever upgrade to a larger tank again.... I really need to update my build threads!

Neat.

Now make another one with the Limes swapped for Mints and set them side by side.

I have been running Mints for three weeks. Doing some tests :D

So no just moonlight option for ATI ? :)

When you start to go larger on units I would need to add a ton of moonlights. On the smaller LED units it is simple. For the ATI retros you can set your royal blue channel to say .1-.5% and it will evenly cover the tank and not be to bright.

Archived