Top Shelf Aquatics

Office Distraction v2

dropped

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Won't last though, coralline spots will spread on the bottom glass as well.

Coralline can be scraped though if you want to keep the look. :)

Coralline can be scraped though if you want to keep the look. :)

Yea ran bare bottom in my last pico, worked really well and coraline was easy to maintain.

However ive gone with sand this time, will post a pic once everything is happy and open.

Both are cool, sand might require more maintenance but it doesn't look like it always needs maintenance like BB after a day. Haha.

rickztahone

Haha yip my big tank is bb, just siphone it into the filter sock makes it super easy.

I can't believe I never thought of this, haha. That is awesome.

I can't believe I never thought of this, haha. That is awesome.

It is awesome! but i cannot take credit for it, i read it on someones thread here.

Had the week off this week, so had a bit of time to mess around with the tanks.

Added a 6500k buld so the mangroves get enough lights, its not a radion like some people growing mangroves but.... i'm not that much of a baller so this is a $20 clip light from the hardware store.

image_13.jpeg

You can see above the tank the new 6500k clip light. its quite bright, i think ill need to create a shield so it doesnt light the tank up.

02426F53-1DD9-49DF-A709-0490DD2043E0.jpg

Acan's in their new home

400CF443-0CC8-4525-AAE2-B636E6AE859A.jpg

This tank is two weeks old today, although the live rock is at least 1 year old so there really was no cycle to speak of.

I am starting to see a bit of algae build up on the back wall, but this is easily cleaned off. I tested no3, nh3 last week before the water change, no3 was at 0.2 ppm and nh3 was 0. no3 was back down to zero post a 10L water change.

Current dosing with the bubble magus (all supplements are Red Sea foundation Part A and B

Alk 0.5mls 8 times per day = 4mls

Ca/sr 0.5mls 6 times per day = 3 mls

Mg is being manually dosed when needed

Ca 420 ppm

alk 150 ppm

Mg 1440

Next thing to change will be to replace my DIY skimmer with a coral box s150 as this will fit in the middle rear chamber and still (i hope) allow me to keep my mangroves. Once i have the new skimmer ill start auto dosing nopox.

Skimmer upgrade time!

Before, my DIY skimmer which works really well to be honest, its super simple and... well it works.

Its just a gravel vac and a wooden air stone in side to make bubbles.

9C64D765-8D47-4DA2-BE37-A74E624A94FA.jpg

Here is the new skimmer beside the old one, its a massive difference as you can see.

Coralbox s150

skimmer%20new%20vs%20old.png

The new skimmer isnt the smallest thats for sure!

9AB72AB9-A1D1-4A4E-9980-DECE77864FE4.jpg

Now i just have to wait for it to bed in, hopefully it works well!

Really? What happened?

There is a foam ring which seals the gap which is used to regulate the flow. But there are so many bubbles coming out the gap this foam ring has no chance. Ill upload a video later on to show you just how bad it gets.

maybe it needs to break in?

Hmm its possible, but that is a crap load of bubbles. I cannot see them reducing.

rickztahone

Hmm its possible, but that is a crap load of bubbles. I cannot see them reducing.

I hear ya. I was just hoping to throw something out there that may be a possible solution for you. Sucks that you bought a new skimmer and it may not work out for you :(

I hear ya. I was just hoping to throw something out there that may be a possible solution for you. Sucks that you bought a new skimmer and it may not work out for you :(

Its the second one so far haha. May just have to go for the airpowered skimmer.

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up a Seneye this week which has a light meter which measures PAR. I have now tested PAR on the MICMOL Aqua Mini colour and I’m not overly impressed with the results.

Light settings

Blue %100

White %100

Special %30 (anything higher looks crap due to reds and greens)

I only measured in the centre of the tank as this is where I have coral placed. I also measured the PAR directly under the light and recorded roughly 490 Par, however moving the Seneye down even the slightest bit this dropped to 250 pretty quickly.

Directly under light - 490

Top Left -150, Top centre-250, Top Right - 150

Middle - 98, Middle -150, Middle right - 97

Bottom - 73, Bottom -95, Bottom Right - 71

I also run glass lids on this tank, with these lids on you can minus 10-16 par from each measurement above.

Ultimately I know the Seneye isn’t 100% correct, however BRS have tested it against a quality PAR meter and found the results to be similar.

Looks like I’ll be upgrading my light eventually.

Later ill overlay the results onto a picture of the tank.

rickztahone

I picked up a Seneye this week which has a light meter which measures PAR. I have now tested PAR on the MICMOL Aqua Mini colour and I’m not overly impressed with the results.

Light settings

Blue %100

White %100

Special %30 (anything higher looks crap due to reds and greens)

I only measured in the centre of the tank as this is where I have coral placed. I also measured the PAR directly under the light and recorded roughly 490 Par, however moving the Seneye down even the slightest bit this dropped to 250 pretty quickly.

Directly under light - 490

Top Left -150, Top centre-250, Top Right - 150

Middle - 98, Middle -150, Middle right - 97

Bottom - 73, Bottom -95, Bottom Right - 71

I also run glass lids on this tank, with these lids on you can minus 10-16 par from each measurement above.

Ultimately I know the Seneye isn’t 100% correct, however BRS have tested it against a quality PAR meter and found the results to be similar.

Looks like I’ll be upgrading my light eventually.

Later ill overlay the results onto a picture of the tank.

I've been looking at the Seneye myself simply because of that exact same BRS video you mentioned.

rickztahone

Yea it seems decent enough, I've also tested it on my radion for my other thank and was pretty surprised

in a good or bad way?

Oh in a good way, was getting over 900 par at the water surface, and middle on the tank was seeing about 350 par. I have not tested to the bottom yet, might do that tonight.

And the light is only at 50%

rickztahone

Oh in a good way, was getting over 900 par at the water surface, and middle on the tank was seeing about 350 par. I have not tested to the bottom yet, might do that tonight.

And the light is only at 50%

Impressive for sure. The Seneye has to be worth it on being accurate as a par meter alone. Everything seems to just be a nice bonus ;)

Archived