Pod Your Reef

Cooper's Reefer 450

DrCooper

Finally took the plunge and did it! Have been out of reef tanks for about 5 years since leaving NYC. Always wanted a large minimalistic reef tank with tons of inverts and fish, but never had the room or $. Settled into a new home and went for it!

Still researching all the equipment and stocking but stay tuned.

Red Sea Reefer 450 with white cabinest is what I decided on. I am very pleased with this tank and the stand as well as the sump. Super quality!

Placing it in my TV room so I can relax and just watch it!

After much debate, likely going with 2 Aquaillumination Hydra 52 HD LED's as this is going to be a softie/LPS tank.

2nd photo has huge glare from tv, but it is basically my view while laying on the couch!

post-35832-0-60457400-1458060154_thumb.jpg

post-35832-0-67077700-1458060170_thumb.jpg

Elizabeth94

SWEEET!

Very excited for you, I will be following. I know I am following a whole bunch of threads I haven't been able to keep up with all of them.

I really love this tank, but is the black back removable?

SWEEET!

Very excited for you, I will be following. I know I am following a whole bunch of threads I haven't been able to keep up with all of them.

Thanks for following! I am unsure if the black back is removable, but will check once I leave work!

Another awesome Reefer build. Can't wait to see how the Hydras look. I seen the Hydra 52 HD in person over a 70g tank and they look AWESOME. You will probably need 3 though if you go SPS, but 2 is fine for softies and LPS

Another awesome Reefer build. Can't wait to see how the Hydras look. I seen the Hydra 52 HD in person over a 70g tank and they look AWESOME. You will probably need 3 though if you go SPS, but 2 is fine for softies and LPS

Starting off with the 2 as for now I do not plan on SPS. Octopus skimmer likely. Now (as you know) the flow is the question.

SWEEET!

The black back is not removable. It seems as if it is painted on.

HarryPotter

SWEEET!

Its removable with a Razor for sure but I would recommend leaving it.

Lucky! I've been looking at these tanks a lot just waiting for time when I can invest in one. Will be following along the build as it's a beautiful setup.

• 4 weeks later...

Started plumbing the M1 and hung the lights. Went with 3 Hydra 26 HD's

Debating on skimmer now

Vertex Omega 180i vs. NYOS 160 vs Octopus 200

post-35832-0-67675100-1460556585_thumb.jpg

post-35832-0-15711800-1460556597_thumb.jpg

Water is in! Aquascape is done. May add a few more branches to the smaller rock pile, but I wanna keep it clean and minimal.

Cycle time!

Photo of lights on! Love the AI Hydra's

post-35832-0-42662800-1461166453_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Matthewdvm

I was toying with the idea of a reefer before my cube landed in my lap. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

I was toying with the idea of a reefer before my cube landed in my lap. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

When I lived in NYC I had a cube and loved it. I will update the thread later as it is 3rd week of cycling and water tests perfect. Plan to do a water change then order some fish and QT them.

btw, I am also a DVM. Few DVM reefers on the threads I have noticed. Are you small animal?

Matthewdvm

When I lived in NYC I had a cube and loved it. I will update the thread later as it is 3rd week of cycling and water tests perfect. Plan to do a water change then order some fish and QT them.

btw, I am also a DVM. Few DVM reefers on the threads I have noticed. Are you small animal?

I am indeed small animal (dogs and cats only, actually, despite the far more varied menagerie at home (7 birds and a leopard gecko, along with the fish)). I'm in downtown toronto. Whereabouts are you?

• 4 months later...

Update -- Pics to follow

After some QT issues and unfortunate losses, the current livestock list is as follows:

2 Bartlett Anthias (lost 1 in qt)

2 Lyretail Anthias (lost a few in qt)

Pair of Longnose Hawkfish (bullies)

Midas Blenny

Tailspot Blenny

Watchman Goby and Pistol Shrimp love birds

Clownfish Pair

Pair of Cleaner Gobies

Entering QT are my last fish:

Juvenile Yellow Eye Kole Tang

Juvenile Dejardini Sailfin Tang ( i know it will get huge-will rehome it)

Bonded Pair of Mandarins

FlameHawk

I had planned on getting a Yellow Tang instead of the Dejardini, but it was aggressive and this guy was nice and small (for now)

Photos coming!

i am very jealous of the bonded pair of mandarins. are you running a fuge?

Awaiting shipment of them both. I have a fuge I set up in the bottom sump area.

I am nervous about the QT process though with the Mandarins as I usually run a month long course of Chloroquine Phosphate and a round of General Cure.

I went against everything I believe regarding the Dejardini Sailfin Tang, but made myself promise I would rehome him when the time comes.

After I messed with the rock work. I wanted to add a branch side with ample hiding spots and then a cave side with even more hiding spots.

post-35832-0-71117500-1476392599_thumb.jpg

Cencalfishguy56

Awaiting shipment of them both. I have a fuge I set up in the bottom sump area.

I am nervous about the QT process though with the Mandarins as I usually run a month long course of Chloroquine Phosphate and a round of General Cure.

I went against everything I believe regarding the Dejardini Sailfin Tang, but made myself promise I would rehome him when the time comes.

just a heads up, skip QT for the mandarins, if they aren't frozen trained or pellet trained for that matter they will starve to death, also they don't have scales and have a thick slime coat meaning they are highly resistant to ick! If I were you I'd acclimate them as best you can and let them be in the DT

it will take a while for it to grow full size. your tank is plenty big for it. it will look awesome in your tank.

just a heads up, skip QT for the mandarins, if they aren't frozen trained or pellet trained for that matter they will starve to death, also they don't have scales and have a thick slime coat meaning they are highly resistant to ick! If I were you I'd acclimate them as best you can and let them be in the DT

I placed them in my QT so they can adjust and start eating. I will likely still qt them since just cause they are resistant to ick, doesn't mean they are resistant to the variety of other pathogens and parasites. I am going back and fourth though as they are small and would not eat this am and arrived last night.

it will take a while for it to grow full size. your tank is plenty big for it. it will look awesome in your tank.

Thanks man! It is a gorgeous fish and eats like a boss!

Cencalfishguy56

I placed them in my QT so they can adjust and start eating. I will likely still qt them since just cause they are resistant to ick, doesn't mean they are resistant to the variety of other pathogens and parasites. I am going back and fourth though as they are small and would not eat this am and arrived last night.

Thanks man! It is a gorgeous fish and eats like a boss!

up to you man but you know they eat pods right? Unless they are trained to eat prepared foods or you just get lucky? Pods won't survive your CP treatment

http://www.melevsreef.com/node/719

Here's a good read up! Just don't want you to lose a bonded pair! (Not trying to be a dick)

Archived