Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Help! Pod infestation - need nano fish for 3G

NYfishies

I don't think the "pods" are your problem. Pods are almost always a self-limiting population ime. They die off rather quickly without excess nutrients. If you are running a low nutrient system they shouldn't be "exploding" in growth. An existing population may bother some coral (although I seriously doubt it) but not enough to sustain a growth in the population.

I think your problem is flatworms and flatworms only. If it were me, I would get the smallest wrasse I could find. Maybe a pink streaked wrasse or a possum wrasse. Do some research of which of these smallest wrasses (smaller than 6 line) are best at hunting.

The two I listed are both very peaceful, very cool, and low bio-load fish. After it finishes with your pico tank you could move it over to your other tank.

It's the pods I posted about this a while ago and everyone thought I was nuts I got a wrasse (rented) and saved my zoas i never thought about the damsel but do something quick those pods wiped out my zoas. I watched them every night looking for nudis or spiders and only saw them then I added some healthy rasta from my work tank 2 days later they were irritated do I dipped them right away in fw and boom only thing there 2 pods, and the were huge after that i bought the wrasse and a week after everything left seems to be healing and opening now g/l

It's the large, adult Amphipods that often destroy Zoanthids at night. The little guys just finish up what's left.

Best choice IMO is the 'Black-barred Convict Goby' (Priolepis nocturna). As the name suggests, it hunts at night when the Pods are out, and while it's small, it's mouth is big and can handle any Pod. Cleared my 12g in about 6 months of ALL Pods :)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think the "pods" are your problem. Pods are almost always a self-limiting population ime. They die off rather quickly without excess nutrients. If you are running a low nutrient system they shouldn't be "exploding" in growth. An existing population may bother some coral (although I seriously doubt it) but not enough to sustain a growth in the population.

I think your problem is flatworms and flatworms only. If it were me, I would get the smallest wrasse I could find. Maybe a pink streaked wrasse or a possum wrasse. Do some research of which of these smallest wrasses (smaller than 6 line) are best at hunting.

The two I listed are both very peaceful, very cool, and low bio-load fish. After it finishes with your pico tank you could move it over to your other tank.

Thanks for the advice. I think what happens is the Amphipods only go after injured and stressed zoa's. While I cannot prove that they actually eat them I can assure you that the zoa's are not happy with the pods crawling on them constantly.

I actually spoke to 1 of our LFS yesterday and they are looking for a Pink Streaked Wrasse for me at the moment.

It's the large, adult Amphipods that often destroy Zoanthids at night. The little guys just finish up what's left.

Best choice IMO is the 'Black-barred Convict Goby' (Priolepis nocturna). As the name suggests, it hunts at night when the Pods are out, and while it's small, it's mouth is big and can handle any Pod. Cleared my 12g in about 6 months of ALL Pods :)

I think you are correct. Can I ask if you have experience with this goby eating flat worms? Also, does he need sand? My FT is bare bottom.

Thanks all for the help!

I think you are correct. Can I ask if you have experience with this goby eating flat worms? Also, does he need sand? My FT is bare bottom.

Thanks all for the help!

Fortunately, I didn't have flatworms in the tank when I had the goby, so can't say yes or no. They just need a cave or two to hide in during the day, but don't need sand.

Archived