Coral Vue Hydros

Capture’s 30 Gallon Rimless Build

capture

I’ve been in and out of the hobby for years. I think since 2007/2008. Back in March I started a little 7 gallon Deep Blue cube and I’ve been adding things, moving things around, making changes and mistakes. I built myself a bench in the basement back in May and haven’t been happy with the setup. The tank gets neglected. So I’ve been contemplating a change.

Lets get to the part you guys are here for. A few weeks ago I took my son to an LFS and he couldn’t stop staring and talking to all the fish. I decided I need more tank space for fish. Just so happened the LFS had a used 30 gallon rimless frag tank sitting in the corner. I have always liked the dimensions and look of the 30 gallon frag tanks. He gave me a good deal and it was in my car. So, now the journey begins. I’m no expert but I’ve done my fair share of learning from reading here and other forums as well as with trial and error. I look forward to hearing your thoughts and ideas as this moves on.

I have a rough plan for what I have in mind. Details will come as I move along but hoping you guys enjoy. Being a photographer I love photos as much as the next guy so I’ll make sure to keep my post stocked with photos as I can.

I’ll start with a teaser.
22419472755_4503a3f571_b.jpg
Here is my tank back in April. I think I put in my first zoanthid frag at this point.

So I got the tank and nowhere to put it. So I started with a stand.

The stand started as 3/4" Birch plywood. I didn't go with anything too expensive as it was going in the basement. I wanted simple, clean and sturdy.

22393493236_3566c7f9e4_b.jpg

With no truck you gotta get the goods home somehow.

Before breaking down my ply I build myself an 8' zero clearance track for my saw. The hope was to get some nice straight square cuts. Worked pretty well.

22231521090_34cc1ecfbf_b.jpg

Ply ready to be worked.

22406280152_c24baf5871_b.jpg

Track for the saw.

22419472035_6dfb936fc0_b.jpg

Completed track.

21796733024_4cb1b01ba8_b.jpg

Here is the stand before I realized I made a mistake.

I realized after I set the tank on top that I got carried away and instead of making the door a door - I attached it to the stand. This wasn't my intent. Thankfully, I caught my mistake before the glue had set.

22505436965_70231af16c_b.jpg

You can see the pocket holes that attached the door to the stand. Unfortunately, they will haunt me for the life of the stand.

After removing the door I completed the stand as I had planned. I measured out the hole for pipes and wires and things.

21796732964_00501acb72_b.jpg

22393492786_39b91f2147_b.jpg

22232670809_4f2fb98d49_b.jpg

Finished cutting out the hole.

Then on to the finish. I didn't want to stain it cause I liked the look of the birch by itself.

22317483190_35fd3636ba_z.jpg

Poly on left side, nothing on right.

21884234063_d0de7deafc_z.jpg

Tonight I put the second coat of poly on the door. Now I'm waiting for my hinges that I ordered from Rockler.

I'm about to order an overflow box. Eshoppes is that I'm thinking of going with since my tank isn't drilled. I'm thinking 400 GPH turnover is sufficient. Anyone have any suggestions otherwise? Would love to hear some opinions.

I have an overflow box and have been very pleased. My 1 suggestion is match the return pump minus head loss as close to the overflow box capacity so that it runs quieter and no air bubbles build up in the U-tube. My overflow box is a bit bigger than my 9.5 magdrive going through a chiller and UV sterilizer can match. It's pretty quiet but I did get a few air bubbles. I remedied that by drilling a small hole and inserting airline tubing and hooking it to an Aqualifter pump. That way if the electric goes off, the aqualifter pump will automatically start the syphon. I have been using the same overflow box and system since about 2007 so it works pretty good.

wow.such.chris

Nice work on the stand so far. Looking foward to seeing this progress. Is it jusy plywood to the floor, no other supports?

I have an overflow box and have been very pleased. My 1 suggestion is match the return pump minus head loss as close to the overflow box capacity so that it runs quieter and no air bubbles build up in the U-tube. My overflow box is a bit bigger than my 9.5 magdrive going through a chiller and UV sterilizer can match. It's pretty quiet but I did get a few air bubbles. I remedied that by drilling a small hole and inserting airline tubing and hooking it to an Aqualifter pump. That way if the electric goes off, the aqualifter pump will automatically start the syphon. I have been using the same overflow box and system since about 2007 so it works pretty good.

Thanks @vlangel. I'll be keeping this in mind.

Nice work on the stand so far. Looking foward to seeing this progress. Is it jusy plywood to the floor, no other supports?

@sooch - Right now it is just ply to the floor. I haven't checked for level. I may put some leveling feet but I haven't decided yet.

I boxed out the bottom and added the top. Between the glue, the build and the pocket holes this thing is really solid.

Also, this entire stand is from one sheet plywood. The second sheet was just in case/for other projects and the track for the saw.

Awesome suggestion. I like that a lot. Have you used or do you have one of these? Certainly looks better than one of the eshoppes overflows I was reluctantly thinking about getting.

What are you using for a sump?

I was going to use a 10 gallon for a sump since I have one sitting around. Its not as big as I might like but I think it will get the job done. I was intending on using one of the Ocean Box Design kits for baffles. I'm trying to keep the cost down but I also don't want to completely cheap out on anything.

wow.such.chris

So I'd have to drill my tank for this to work?

Looks like this guy drilled a deep blue tank with no problems. So sides aren't tempered huh? So much to do.

Yeah you have to drill. I think that all but the back glass is tempered but don't take my word for it.

Yeah you have to drill. I think that all but the back glass is tempered but don't take my word for it.

Hmm... I may have changed my mind on this. I'm trying to go simple and keep my costs down. The overflows you sent, I love but it costs more and then I'd have to buy a drill for the overflows. Still thinking about it.

just the photo of your jig saw is sexy!

Simmer down now.

So now for an update:

I've attached some adjustable feet. I cut down some 4x4 blocks. Then I drilled holes to put in the 1/2" x 1 1/2" lag as adjustable feet. I'm thinking this may be my best bet when it comes to adjusting for the variances in the basement floor. I used some glue and some ledger bolts I had from another project to attach the blocks. I countersunk the heads into the stand. I think it should be plenty to hold the weight of the tank and stand. Just a reminder: I'm not going for best looking stand since its in the basement so I'm not too concerned with seeing the bolts. I did however, measure their locations out so they are all symmetrical and stuff.

22421788227_75ec1cf7b7_k.jpg

22814136366_df5f09fcf1_k.jpg

22652145410_6dfe0f7156_k.jpg

22840141095_614c62ce60_k.jpg

I'm trying to get some water in the tank to at least get it cycling. I leave for work in Puerto Rico for a week so it would be nice to have it going before I jet.

Cool. Pretty clever means of having adjustable feet. I'm in the process of building a plywood stand for my 25g that is very similar in design and appearance to yours and I ended up going with four $6.50 heavy duty leveler legs from Woodcraft. If I were putting my stand on concrete I'd be pretty PO'd that I didn't think of the simple ledger bolt concept you came up with; I'm putting it on carpet though so I won't kick myself (this time) for coming up with similar cost-effective solution like yours.

Good luck with the build. Looking forward to seeing it progress.

Cool. Pretty clever means of having adjustable feet. I'm in the process of building a plywood stand for my 25g that is very similar in design and appearance to yours and I ended up going with four $6.50 heavy duty leveler legs from Woodcraft. If I were putting my stand on concrete I'd be pretty PO'd that I didn't think of the simple ledger bolt concept you came up with; I'm putting it on carpet though so I won't kick myself (this time) for coming up with similar cost-effective solution like yours.

Good luck with the build. Looking forward to seeing it progress.

Thanks Mal. $6.50 is not bad in terms of price. I spent $2 on the bolts and the rest was leftovers from other projects and some time. I'll have to check out the Woodcraft legs for other projects. Problem is they are kind of far from where I live.

I should've been a little more clear -- they were $6.50 each, so $25 for four. Like I said, not too bad given that they have wide feet (~1.5" dia.) which is good for carpet and are rated to 440 lbs each; but a bit pricey in comparison to your $2 ledger bolt solution.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm back from Puerto Rico and its after Thanksgiving. I had to finish roofing the porch I'm building on my house before the winter really kicks into gear and I finally got that accomplished. Now its time to go full bore into this 30 gallon.

There is now water and some rock in the tank and an old light above it. Its been running for 2 weeks now. I ordered a few things this week while there were sales all over the inter webs. I'll update on this soon.

I knew I had a bunch of dry rock somewhere from an old system. I found it this weekend and now I'm debating using it and putting whatever may have been on it during my previous go around into a new tank. Its been sitting around for 5+ years untouched? My other option is to go buy some new Life Rock or similar. I don't think there was much of an issue with my previous system other than the typical bubble algae but I sort of remember having these little tiny curly white things all over the tank at some point before. I'm just afraid of something I don't want in the tank to be there from the start and rearing its ugly head a little down the road.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

23469541855_cc4a0605ee_k.jpg

Got an order in today from World Wide Corals. Letting them come up to temp in the new tank. Moved them over to the 7 gallon afterwards for acclimation and they are opened up and looking good for now. 23480882166_f0b1a1f895_k.jpg

Saturday and Sunday of this weekend were super nice here in Connecticut so I had to work on the rock. I have quite a bit of travel between now and Christmas so I crammed what I could between working and hanging out with the family.

Hoops on Saturday and smokey burnouts on Sunday.
23486052422_952d45b9da_k.jpg

23486063592_594d8aa448_k.jpg

Back to reefing:
I found uphoric's thread on what to do with Old Live Rock and the video there was really helpful. Slow, but helpful.

So I got to work
23509673921_a6c6bf6e64_b.jpg

Safety first
23483521212_26e78c8764_b.jpg

Here are some rocks that have been sitting around for close to 5 years and everything that was and still is on them.
22963925044_8a0410440b_b.jpg

23509698661_0fe56ae8c0_b.jpg

23224176969_7b8825f9c7_b.jpg

23483545822_d9eace6bca_b.jpg

Heres all the rock and crud that came off the rock when I filled the bucket with water.
23296372480_b5736f8cee_b.jpg

Acid in bucket and reaction
23509664701_72e724110b_b.jpg

23296364240_341cda4fd2_b.jpg

After about ten minutes
23592048985_6b894a1e82_b.jpg

Now to neutralize
23509656351_2aff868b62_b.jpg

More bubbles
23592045015_94a80d207b_b.jpg

After the first rinse
23483501232_e722d1b641_b.jpg

Once in the the bucket I put some bleach in and let it soak over night. Everything is now soaking in a bucket with water and a dechlorinator. I've switched out the water a few times and I'm a little bothered by the smell of the rock. Still smells like bleach. Anyone have experience with this. I'm not sure I want to put it in the tank anytime soon.

In all it was pretty easy. My only tip is have a good hose or a bucket of clean water standing by just in case. I also had to do the acid bath twice as the first bucket had a huge crack I wasn't aware of in the bottom.

If interested here are some more photos from the acid bath.

Archived