Pod Your Reef

Shallow Reef Tank - New tank update

tanacharison

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Until now I haven't edited any photographs I've used and the pictures came from one of two cell phones.. mainly my LG G3 and some Iphone6. I decided to pull out my Nikon D80 from storage and see if I could do any better shooting in RAW and doing some minor tweaking in light room. Let me know what you think. I played around with the blacks mostly but also some clarity and contrast.

untitled-1-4_zpskf9n2agb.jpg

DSC_0380_zpslwe9pzcs.jpg

DSC_0356_zpspg9cmams.jpg

DSC_0350_zps9g47bm3j.jpg

untitled-1-2_zpsuzf46ifd.jpg

untitled-1-13_zpskfygodvp.jpg

untitled-1-11_zpsmczndqq5.jpg

untitled-1-9_zps0ivvcows.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
tanacharison

Everything is going well in the reef. I lost a few zoas from an unknown issue. Nothing alarming after testing. No Nitrates or ammonia. PO 0 CA 460 MG 1470 ALK 8. Some of my SPS are encrusting from the branches of the frags and are coloring better. What I believed to be a green slimer seemed like it was doing poor a few weeks ago is looking great and the color is extremely bright. I picked up a few Mexican turbo snails to attack the algae on the bottom of the tank.

untitled-1-10_zpszqbgqogq.jpg

untitled-1-4_zpsqmlpy2ac.jpg

untitled-1-9_zpsir8sjll7.jpg

tanacharison

I started using the aquarium note app and so far I really like it. Normally I just write down what I test or change in a notebook but this is a lot easier. I'm sure even better apps are out there.

01/08 Friday

Temperature: 78.6 °C

pH:

Ammonia: .05-0 ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 0 ppm

Phosphate: 0 ppm

Salinity: 1.026 SG

Alkalinity: 10 dKH

Calcium: 450 ppm

Magnesium: 1500 ppm

TDS: ppm

ORP:

Notes: Feed reef roids and fuel

Here are some updated tank shots. As they grow the smaller entrusting corals should fill the foreground and larger branching species will fill out the background space. Now its just time to record growth rates.

untitled-1-8_zpst9qhihzy.jpg

untitled-1-5_zpsmmgvor2z.jpg

untitled-1_zps2qgj35ck.jpg

untitled-1-2_zps9jjjuooz.jpg

untitled-1-7_zpsrteirher.jpg

Here is the one of the coral restoration tanks at the Pittsburgh Zoo & Aquarium. I enjoy a good zoo day!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

125 Day for tank! Corals are showing some growth and maintaining excellent color.
Zoa's seem hit or miss. Some have produced several new heads others have maintained their original size. Lost a few.

Acans are showing better color than originally. (Added Nov 3) Produced several new heads but not major growth.

Acropora (Added Nov 28th) Now encrusting onto rock 2-5cm. Colors same if not better.

Montipora (Added Nov9th) Now encrusting onto rock 4-10cm. No change in color.

Ricordea Coral Slightly larger size and one small bud has spawned.

Calcium: 425 Magnesium: 1380 Alkalinity: 9.6

• 2 weeks later...

So it looks like the fast growth of the pink monti has traveled the path towards my miliepora. <_< I guess its time to frag the monti before the coral warfare gets worse.

• 3 weeks later...
tanacharison

Hey another Pittsburgher! Tank is looking good so far. Some nice corals in there

Thanks! Where in Pittsburgh are you?

tanacharison

New skimmer should be here tomorrow icecap K2-120. I've been thinking about increasing the flow by adding a Maxspect gyre xf130 people seem to really like them. Here is your photo dump update.

untitled-1-19_zpsa5zuh3vz.jpg

untitled-1-18_zpsdhb8yswd.jpg

untitled-1-15_zpsdmpgihe7.jpg

untitled-1-27_zpsbjeuibtp.jpg

untitled-1-26_zpswrgomt9t.jpg

untitled-1-23_zps632sqxsw.jpg

untitled-1-38_zpsteplpvtn.jpg

cowabunga-reefer

I live in the city in Shadyside. How bout you? Go to any of the local events?

Thanks! Where in Pittsburgh are you?

tanacharison

That's sweet I'm in Squirrel Hill. I've always wondered how some of the events are in the area. I know we have some great tanks and people in the community but I feel like the stores are lacking at times.

tanacharison

Torch coral did not survive the battle with my hammer. Losing corals hurts! I decided on purchasing a apex and maxspect gyre to cheer myself up. :rolleyes:

tanacharison

I have a little algae growth going on but hopefully some increased water changes and an replenished cuc will help push it back. New equipment should be here this week.

untitled-1-45_zpsfanmnk9p.jpg

untitled-1-39_zpsppb9j14i.jpg

untitled-1-41_zpsbmskx09f.jpg

untitled-1-43_zpsa9metkf2.jpg

Cencalfishguy56

I have a little algae growth going on but hopefully some increased water changes and an replenished cuc will help push it back. New equipment should be here this week.

untitled-1-45_zpsfanmnk9p.jpg

untitled-1-39_zpsppb9j14i.jpg

untitled-1-41_zpsbmskx09f.jpg

untitled-1-43_zpsa9metkf2.jpg

Everything looks good man, love advanced acrylics work, I have a sump from them
tanacharison

Everything looks good man, love advanced acrylics work, I have a sump from them

Thanks! They did a great job I highly recommend. I just need to be more careful with acrylic it scratches crazy easy and the frag glue is impossible to get off if left untouched too long.

that Hawk fish is great! lovely looking tank right here

Thanks! Hands down favorite fish and he has been great with my peppermint shrimp and hermits. I'm starting to try hand feeding now.
tanacharison

This is one of my favorite colored palys pink/peach with bright green center. It has slower growth but does not seem to mind the high flow.

untitled-1-42_zpsxb911tdz.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
tanacharison

Looking good, that hawkfish is cool. Does he move around very often or just sit in the same spot?

He is great! Does swim around and perch at different locations during the day. Not a big fan of the open water unless its feeding time. He will swim around and follow you if your walking around in the room. I think he likes to people watch and photography.

Archived