Coral Vue Hydros

Bali box o' bubbles

MikeTR

Rock smells like ass, and subsequently so do my hands. No amount of hand washing ever seems to get that faint eau de rectum smell off. Rock is just piled in the tank for now as there's not much time to do things on lunch hour. No doubt ammonia will be spiked for days. Tonight I'll remove it all and make an attempt at an aquascape after a good swish in some clean saltwater and picking off all the dead halimeda. Not too impressed this time with the pieces that were selected. Mostly smaller boulder types so we'll see how it turns out.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No attempt yet at the aquascaping part. Ammonia spiked to at least 4ppm and is now barely registering, nitrites have spiked. Le odeur is gone thankfully and heavy diatom bloom is occuring. Departing for Mexico tomorrow morning, so should be cycled when I'm back. Rock will still need to be pulled and cleaned. No time for any of that now.

• 3 weeks later...

So here's what we're workin with. Looks like every other nano scape i've ever done lol. I have 2 more pieces of dry rock to use as a base and to elevate the back even more so will be piled higher in the back.

22049971392_b402c91d53_b.jpg

• 2 months later...

This tank needs moar bubbles. or wait.. less bubbles? Moar BTA's and less microbubbles, yeah that's it. So even with the return sections filled up pretty full i'm still getting microbubbles shooting into the tank when both pumps are on. If I use the wavemaker and oscillate the pumps, I don't have this problem. Any suggestions? I could really use the added flow of having both pumps on.

Dude as a former cube owner,I really dig what you did with the hood and the prime light,way cool

My neighbor was selling the prime light just a few days after I got the cube. Already had the bracket in the toolbox from something else..who knows what. I didn't have to do much of anything except gut it. Factory internals still run the fans. I have them on a timer so they come on when the prime does. The prime has the fan on top which exhausts out.. it all just worked perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems that running both pumps at the same time is a futile effort. The flow is almost too much for the filtration to handle with a clean filter pad and just overflows into the return chambers when dirty. I've not done a single water change since the tank has been set up. I'll see if I can manage a 5g change this week.

23895693674_87ed8d05b7_h.jpg

Interesting double bubble.

24228326300_ae060b8ceb_h.jpg

Also have another anemone on the way.. green bubble with pink tips.

Why would you want to do a water change? :P

I don't.. but I haven't tested any levels either. Just feel like it's time. Give the numbers a boost.

I did read the article in the new Reef Hobbyist magazine. well sorta.. after I read the 2nd paragraph stating that "Bubble-Tip anemones are fairly difficult to keep" I just started skimming through it. I disagree with Mr. Miguel Tolosa. BTA's are some hardy ass mother####ers. In fact, when I got that shipment of gulf live rock that sat intransit an extra day, spiked my ammonia to way green on the API scale, the RBTA was unphased.

I did read the article in the new Reef Hobbyist magazine. well sorta.. after I read the 2nd paragraph stating that "Bubble-Tip anemones are fairly difficult to keep" I just started skimming through it. I disagree with Mr. Miguel Tolosa. BTA's are some hardy ass ############s. In fact, when I got that shipment of gulf live rock that sat intransit an extra day, spiked my ammonia to way green on the API scale, the RBTA was unphased.

This is true,I have a king goblin that sat in my 40 gallon, with 5 gallon water changes every other month,no filtering other than the live rock and a skimmer,lost alot of color,but has been growing and regaining it with regular feedings.

Nice looking btas mike

Buncha new corals comin in tomorrow, mostly zoas, and a new anenome. Scored a 4 polyp frag of vice zoas for cheap as well. Also picking up a six line wrasse. I think a rescape is gonna be in order.

• 3 weeks later...

Lol yes! The piece kat sent me melted away, didn't ship well :(

Ok, we'll get somethin goin. Need to send you a sample to look at under the scope anyways and some stars.

Archived