Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Alain's IM NUVO Fusion 30L - PHASE 2 BEGINS ON PG3

Alain

Torches, hammers and frogspawn will all sent out the sweepers, it's in their nature. Good news is they won't sting corals of the same Euphyllia family. Elegance corals are from the same family also but I never saw any of mine send out sweepers. Blue linkias are definitely the hardiest of the stars we can get here, red linkias and fromias just don't last. Longest I was able to keep a red star was about 8-9 months before it started dropping legs and disintegrated.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Torches, hammers and frogspawn will all sent out the sweepers, it's in their nature.

I always thought it was because of flow, but both of them are sitting underneath the MP10, yet only the fella on the floor is sending out sweepers!

I always thought it was because of flow, but both of them are sitting underneath the MP10, yet only the fella on the floor is sending out sweepers!

If they are exposed to high flow they will send out sweepers more frequently. I guess they see it as the water being able to help them expand their territory by pulling the sweepers towards possibly close by corals. Torches are by far the worst at this. Regardless of water flow though I have seen most Euphyllia that I have had over the years send out sweepers at night. It could just be that the purple one is trying to attack the green one as it is too close, no that this attempt will be effective at all. Have you tried separating the pair just a little bit?

If they are exposed to high flow they will sent out sweepers more frequently. I guess they see it as the water being able to help them expand their territory by pulling the sweepers towards possibly close by corals. Torches are by far the worst at this. Regardless of water flow though I have seen most Euphyllia that I have had over the years send out sweepers at night. It could just be that the purple one is trying to attack the green one as it is too close, no that this attempt will be effective at all. Have you tried separating the pair just a little bit?

Hmm I might have to try. The reason I have them so close together is because of the reverse colouring! :D

Hmm I might have to try. The reason I have them so close together is because of the reverse colouring! :D

They are a great contrast together :), you wouldn't have to move them far, maybe an inch or so at first and see how they go. You will probably find that they will expand to fill that space anyway.

Wow, W T F. I had just praised the well-being of my tank and I get home to this...

SpmrTpH.jpg

It was feeding great and very active?! Water quality is good? Did I not feed it enough??

(It's a dead gold head goby)

pappadumplingz

Damn. That sucks. Was it looking skinny when you last saw it? On the euphyllia sweepers, hammers and frog spawns can go next to eachother, but both can't be near torch's, because the torch's have a more powerful sting.

Oh dude that sucks, sorry for the loss. Hard to tell why these things happen sometimes. Was it eating well? Looks like it may have been that way for a while, looks like the clean up crew have had time to start their job.

Damn. That sucks. Was it looking skinny when you last saw it? On the euphyllia sweepers, hammers and frog spawns can go next to eachother, but both can't be near torch's, because the torch's have a more powerful sting.

Saw it in the morning and it looked a little skinny but was eating prolifically when I was feeling the night before and that morning. Yeah gut was completely missing, no doubt the nassarius snails would have been all over it like white on rice.

Oh dude that sucks, sorry for the loss. Hard to tell why these things happen sometimes. Was it eating well? Looks like it may have been that way for a while, looks like the clean up crew have had time to start their job.

Gobbling up brine shrimp, cylopeeze, NLS pellets, Hikari pellets, anything I pumped into his sand!

You just got the goby recently right? Maybe it alteady had internal parasite when you got it.

Yeah about a week ago, I think parasite may have been the most probable cause!

• 2 weeks later...

H3E4ZMr.jpg

Quick update! Added a carnation tree coral and a Sinularia finger coral as well as a pair of lyretail anthias!

Still on the hunt for a nice royal gramma :)

• 2 weeks later...

The Anthias are settling in nicely, and I have been feeding quite often but also trying to work out a good balance between amount and frequency of feedings..

My PO4 levels are rising, but I have been keeping an eye on water changes and algae outbreaks..

Any tips for keeping regular feeders like Anthias in a small tank?

Here's an updated FTS. Notice the algae on the sand... White sand aaarrgghh haha

iTiDwFw.jpg?1

The Anthias are settling in nicely, and I have been feeding quite often but also trying to work out a good balance between amount and frequency of feedings..

My PO4 levels are rising, but I have been keeping an eye on water changes and algae outbreaks..

Any tips for keeping regular feeders like Anthias in a small tank?

I've never seen it done in an AIO setup, the amount of food needed quickly fouls the water and you can't get a big enough internal skimmer to compensate!

I've never seen it done in an AIO setup, the amount of food needed quickly fouls the water and you can't get a big enough internal skimmer to compensate!

Bi-weekly water changes perhaps?

they also require a lot of swimming space, hence usually 70+ gallons.

I have read differently that the lyretails are ok in a minimum of 30g? I have also read to keep them in a harem and not a pair but my pair are awesome! The one developing into a male is not giving grief to the female. Did I get lucky or am I speaking too soon? We will find out!

Nah, I'm located in SA mate. The natural sea water is pretty cheap though. I did the math and at $14 a month it only costs about $170 a year in water changes. A bucket of Red Sea Blue Bucket (22KG) is $120 and doesn't last me 12 months. I had another chat with Dad about an RODI unit, he said I should just get one and be done with it but I feel guilty about wasting the water. He seems to think that it won't be so bad as our TDS is only 40, not 400-600 like mains water. At 40 TDS though, it is easily manageable so I think I'll hold off for now unless things start to really get bad.

Why can't you just collect the high TDS water for drinking?

Why can't you just collect the high TDS water for drinking?

RODI waste water is typically highly concentrated with salts (and other impurities) so probably not the best thing to drink. A lot of people use it on the garden which is usually alright (except with some fussy plants).

RODI waste water is typically highly concentrated with salts (and other impurities) so probably not the best thing to drink. A lot of people use it on the garden which is usually alright (except with some fussy plants).

That's a good use for it I suppose, but I figured since you had such low initial TDS of 40 that it wouldn't be a problem. I am on city water and my TDS is 160-200 usually.

My waste outlet goes into the garden ^_^

That's a great use for it! :)

Bi-weekly water changes perhaps?

Try bi-daily water changes, you're feed 4-5 times a day for these fish and that the equivalent of a months worth of feeding a regular tank if you waited ever other week.

Try bi-daily water changes, you're feed 4-5 times a day for these fish and that the equivalent of a months worth of feeding a regular tank if you waited ever other week.

I'm feeding twice a day on weekdays and thrice on weekends. Currently the nutrient export regime is to do a 15% weekly water change with a 5% change mid-week. Protein skimmer is set to a wetter skim and I'm running GFO in both media racks.

I'll keep you tuned on how this works for me!

Archived