inTank Media Baskets

Justin Fox's JBJ 20 Frag Tank

justinfox

The thing I really dislike about the Kessils is that they only look good if they are hung with a hanging kit, I think the gooseneck makes them look rubbish (Kessil also want like $40 for it). The NanoBox on the other hand looks quite good with the gooseneck as it is designed much better in terms of how it attaches to the fixture.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing I really dislike about the Kessils is that they only look good if they are hung with a hanging kit, I think the gooseneck makes them look rubbish (Kessil also want like $40 for it). The NanoBox on the other hand looks quite good with the gooseneck as it is designed much better in terms of how it attaches to the fixture.

I agree the cables are a bit yucky, but it's that Japanese look I like, you know. Like this from back in the day:

kentpapa1.jpg

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa7151japanese_tank.j

anagonbe-fts-lights.jpg

In other news, the tank is now in Sydney, in Alexandria which is the airport, basically! Man that was some seriously fast shipping!!!

I have some really disappointing news though; I've found out that it's not only bad to have an aquarium in a bedroom, but it's also bad to have one in the kitchen and that really ruins my plans of having this on my kitchen island bench. :(

I can see all the logic of not having a tank in the bedroom, and yes to a degree I see logic behind not having a tank in the kitchen too (spluttering oils, cooking fumes, hot pans etc.) so this all now needs more thought!

LOL! So true. OK, crazy how shit pans out, but the doorbell rang a few minutes ago and I've just taken delivery of the tank! Damn that came fast and it was super well packed too! No issues! Amaze!

I have everything for it except a light (still undecided) and also a location (very much undecided!).

jbj20_fragtank.jpgShe's here!

curve.jpgI hate curved corners, yucky and daggy IMHO.

jbj_20_frag_tank.jpgReturn goes to spray bar, very strange. PS: Comes with a foam pad to go under the tank too, very nice!

jbj20_filter.jpg

Plenty of space back there! Carbon bag under the main sponge, white bag is other filter media. Left is return pump.

jbj1.jpgStill not sure where to put it!

I have some really disappointing news though; I've found out that it's not only bad to have an aquarium in a bedroom, but it's also bad to have one in the kitchen and that really ruins my plans of having this on my kitchen island bench. :(

I can see all the logic of not having a tank in the bedroom, and yes to a degree I see logic behind not having a tank in the kitchen too (spluttering oils, cooking fumes, hot pans etc.) so this all now needs more thought!

Wow, that arrived fast!

And as I showed you, mine sits on the end of my kitchen island. My apartment is a 2 floor layout. The first floor is one long room that is eating area, kitchen with a long island, and TV/office area with no walls between them. So honestly wherever we have the tanks on the first floor they area a stones throw from the kitchen. The second floor is just two bedrooms.

That really did arrive fast, surprising for orders from the states. My LED's from Dave got held in Sydney for 7 days (customs I'm guessing) and I still haven't gotten them yet! They arrived in the county on the 12th. What can you do though I guess. You win some and you lose some.

So I actually spent a little time yesterday setting up the tank. I found what I thought was a suitable location for it on my kitchen bench, filled it up with water only to realise that it just didn't feel right!

To top it off I realised the pump the tank came with is American voltage! DOH! I started researching for a replacement pump but accidentally came across the same exact pump being sold by an Australian trader on eBay (so I assume the right voltage). $50 so I bought it and hopefully it'll fit and work perfectly as it should.

I still have to find a location for the tank though. I don't want it in the kitchen. If it's to go anywhere else it will need a custom stand. I've spent hours hunting down existing stands 60x50 in size, there's literally nothing out there (IKEA/etc side tables, bedside tables, tool chests/trolleys). The closest I've found is a floating kitchen trolley 2cm short of 60cm, but it's a bit tall, and the other option is a low 60x60 table and put the tank in the lounge room next to the couch.

SpankythePyro

Interesting frag tank, what are you going to keep and grow out? I'm running out of room in my 20 long right now... then again its full of rock too

Interesting frag tank, what are you going to keep and grow out? I'm running out of room in my 20 long right now... then again its full of rock too

Most likely zoas to begin with. I do have a house cat though, and wonder whether or not it's a risk to have zoas in a shallow frag tank, uncovered?

I don't think it'll be an issue. Your cat isn't going to be too interested in drinking saltwater. If you are worried, you can always make a screentop similar to the one I made for mine.

OK so I dropped in to IKEA this morning (urgh... I hate IKEA!), and the trolley I was going to get was yup... OUT OF STOCK! Awesome. I then found another trolley that wasn't on the IKEA web site, same name, newer model and amazingly it fits perfectly to the mm in the space I have behind my existing Fluval Edge 2! I bought it, made it, and laughed out loud at how perfectly it fits in it's little place!

jbj20_fragtank1.jpg

tank.jpg

Nice! Looks like it was meant to be :). If you are looking for any conduit for cable management Bunnings sells this 2m length of notched cable channel for like $12. It has adhesive backing also, the stuff is great!

100%, so need to put a hole in that wall!!! It's not a solid wall, so will be easy (I hope!).

PS: So I went for the Kessil!

I got the A160 with gooseneck! 15% off store wide at Age of Aquariums, could not resist! I also have a Tunze ATO still new in box which I've never used so I'll get that on this tank too.

Very nice. There is no way to escape IKEA ?

Actually I find it funny that it is a similar bad shopping experience both here in Germany and in Australia

Very nice. There is no way to escape IKEA

Actually I find it funny that it is a similar bad shopping experience both here in Germany and in Australia

Haha! That's hilarious! Damn IKEA!!!! Grrrr!

Return the jbj and get the IM fusion lagoon 25g. No rounded corners!

I'd have to send it back to the US (I'm in Australia!). Haha!

Archived