Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dinoflagellates during Cycle? Advice needed.

tokaras

I started cycling my Fusion 10g tank 8 days ago, everything was looking fine until last night when I spotted long stringy algae with bubbles on the tips on my live rock. This morning I noticed they have multiplied to other parts of the tank. I can't get a good photo of it, but i've been able to identify it as Dinoflagellates. I've looked at multiple forums and have seen a few solutions but everyone says they eventually come back and it will be an ongoing problem. In my eyes my options are these:

1) Nuke the tank completely, and get all new live rock and new live sand and re-cycle the tank.

2) Buy Dino-X which is a new treatment that is said to get rid of dinoflagellates.

Should I risk this taking over my tank? or should I just start over? Right now there is a small amount and it has not reached the sand. So far it is just spreading over my live rock in the earliest stages. Should I start over.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

What did you use to start the cycle? Old rock? Old sand? Where did you get the water? I would be shocked that you got Dino at this point? There are some other algaes that will release bubbles...bubbles are not a definite sign it's Dino.

What did you use to start the cycle? Old rock? Old sand? Where did you get the water? I would be shocked that you got Dino at this point? There are some other algaes that will release bubbles...bubbles are not a definite sign it's Dino.

Hi Neebles,

I used "cured" liverock, and Caribsea sand, and premixed salt water from my LFS. I was shocked too. It looks exactly like this: Stringy brown snot with bubbles at the ends. I've looked at a bunch of other forums looking at different types of algae but this seems like the culprit. It looks exactly like this:

v7sY44c.jpg?1

But instead of on the sand, it's on the liverock. It came up overnight. I'm shocked it grew that fast. Do you know the other algae's that have this appearance? I can't find anything else with snotty stringy bubbles?

I took my liverock out of the tank and scrubbed it off, and I am now in a blackout. I'm waitng on Dino X from a reef supply store. It should be here tomorrow. If I don't see changes in the next few days, I'm going to start over.

Save yourself a boatload of $$ in the long run and spend a little extra now starting over with new stuff. I just lost a 2yr old mature mix reef to dinos, that stuff grew off of everything- glass, LR, clam shells, you name it. Fortunately you have the option to press the reset button. I wouldn't for one second risk anything with dinos. It just takes one spore to wreck your world.

Save yourself a boatload of $$ in the long run and spend a little extra now starting over with new stuff. I just lost a 2yr old mature mix reef to dinos, that stuff grew off of everything- glass, LR, clam shells, you name it. Fortunately you have the option to press the reset button. I wouldn't for one second risk anything with dinos. It just takes one spore to wreck your world.

That's horrible. I was able to capture a little spore tonight, and if it's positively ID'ed, I think I'm going to start over. I'd rather lose some money now than an entire tank in the future. Thank you for your insight.

Here's the dinoflagellate spore/ cyst I was able to capture for IDing. It was just free floating at the top of the tank.

5tUSMlw.jpg

gavinsepanik

Hopefully it is not dino. It is crazy for it to come so quick. I just started the cycle on my 10 gal mixed reef.

I would ditch everything, including the tank. Start over with a new tank, dry rock, dry sand and dry salt. One spore and you will be right back to here. I have suspicions about your lfs pre-mixed water. In fact, I have suspicions about your lfs.

The reason you should not start over

no corals in system allows for treatments

the invasion can happen when the reef is fully stocked so you'll need a plan then, too, practice now

we beat Dino invasions all the time

the only invasion that requires a restart is neomeris

for dinos you have documented cures, eradication until re import, from:

dino x

ph adjustments Google randy Holmes farley dinoflagellates

peroxide has worked on hundreds of tanks documented

ats systems for dinos, google et

blackouts have worked on hundreds of tanks

po4 stripping has worked

do not start over, just be more resourceful than the invader. solved.

Archived