Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Matt's 34 Gallon Adventure.

myarmolich

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Salifert for your testing supplies

Or Red Sea. The Red Sea Foundations test kit works really well for me and it comes out cheaper than the salifert kits. That's only for calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium though

myarmolich

Or Red Sea. The Red Sea Foundations test kit works really well for me and it comes out cheaper than the salifert kits. That's only for calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium though

I think im pulling the trigger on the red sea foundation test. From what i read it is much easier to use and im fairly lazy when it comes to testing

A couple of updates: Just bought salifert test kits for Alk and Ca. Also looking at selling my 27'' Maxspect razor and getting a Radion gen 2 pro. Does anyone have any experience with this light vs the Maxspect? im really not sure whats the best route to go.

Pics also coming soon, tank should be cycling by friday :D

A couple of updates: Just bought salifert test kits for Alk and Ca. Also looking at selling my 27'' Maxspect razor and getting a Radion gen 2 pro. Does anyone have any experience with this light vs the Maxspect? im really not sure whats the best route to go.

Pics also coming soon, tank should be cycling by friday :D

Why would you want to sell it? You would also need to get the wide lens for the Radion if you want to use that fixture because without it, you won't get the full coverage with just one Radion. Do you have a magnesium test kit? All three play a role and and if your magnesium is too low then you're going to have a lot of trouble trying to get your alk and Ca to where you want them.

Why would you want to sell it? You would also need to get the wide lens for the Radion if you want to use that fixture because without it, you won't get the full coverage with just one Radion. Do you have a magnesium test kit? All three play a role and and if your magnesium is too low then you're going to have a lot of trouble trying to get your alk and Ca to where you want them.

forgot to add I bought the magnesium kit as well from salifert :P I was considering selling the Razor for full spectrum, but im not sure what im going to at this point..

Anywayssss.. Time for updates:

Skinned the stand :D

2WNWIpKl.jpg

sMm85dul.jpg

XCFPtmul.jpg

hF6FHFjl.jpg

All panels are attached with magnets, giving me amazing access to the sump :D

1u0hbMsl.jpg

currently staining it now, should be filled with RO/DI tonight! Salt Thursday

Can you explain how you're going to be setting up the drains? For a tank that small I wouldn't think that you would need more than one full siphon (3/4") and a trickle/emergency drain. I'm loving the stand and how the panels came out and can't wait to see how they look with some stain on them.

Can you explain how you're going to be setting up the drains? For a tank that small I wouldn't think that you would need more than one full siphon (3/4") and a trickle/emergency drain. I'm loving the stand and how the panels came out and can't wait to see how they look with some stain on them.

I have a bean animal overflow setup. This entails one full siphon line, along with an emergency siphon line if the water line rises too high and a durso standpipe if that somehow gets clogged. I utilized this system for safety more than anything else as I have hardwood floors below my tank, and I will probably die if those floors get ruined from an overflow

I have a bean animal overflow setup. This entails one full siphon line, along with an emergency siphon line if the water line rises too high and a durso standpipe if that somehow gets clogged. I utilized this system for safety more than anything else as I have hardwood floors below my tank, and I will probably die if those floors get ruined from an overflow

Lol. That makes sense. I originally had a single drain with an Eshopps overflow box and I was terrified that it would clog/overflow so I left the valve wide open. Incredibly noisy... I switched and use a full siphon running with a gate valve and trickle/emergency line. The return pump I have is pretty weak and a single 3/4" drain will easily outpace it, let alone two.

[Edit]

Oh, and I'm lucky. I live in apt in the basement. I've dropped a few gallons in the kitchen already and no damage. Kept forgetting that I was making RODI, haha. I ended up getting a 30 gallon brute so now that won't happen. It's already saved me once since getting it. I needed 2-3 gallons to flush my reactor so I put a five gallon bucket inside of the trash can. Forgot and came back a few hours later. Bucket was full and the trash can had about 6" of water in it. All of that would have been on the floor.

Lol. That makes sense. I originally had a single drain with an Eshopps overflow box and I was terrified that it would clog/overflow so I left the valve wide open. Incredibly noisy... I switched and use a full siphon running with a gate valve and trickle/emergency line. The return pump I have is pretty weak and a single 3/4" drain will easily outpace it, let alone two.

[Edit]

Oh, and I'm lucky. I live in apt in the basement. I've dropped a few gallons in the kitchen already and no damage. Kept forgetting that I was making RODI, haha. I ended up getting a 30 gallon brute so now that won't happen. It's already saved me once since getting it. I needed 2-3 gallons to flush my reactor so I put a five gallon bucket inside of the trash can. Forgot and came back a few hours later. Bucket was full and the trash can had about 6" of water in it. All of that would have been on the floor.

This has happened to me more times than I care to admit :? Hopefully going to setup a mixing station in the future instead of relying on the hose and my timing haha

Looks sweet :). Nice job skinning the stand, looks great.

Thanks man! Looking forward to seeing how both our builds progress :D

Now for some progress..

Todays list:

- Got my doser all setup, ready to start dosing when needed (not for a while haha)

- Ran an ethernet cord through my house (I now know why I cant drop out of college)

- Moved the tank to its final place

- Programmed the Apex

- Patched up every last leak (fml this took forever)

and ate a burrito the size of my head. All in all its been a good day :)

Salt tomorrow ;)

Felt you guys deserved a FTS with the sump before it gets dirty :D

7qNf51yl.jpg

Programmed my ATO yesterday. Cant wait for salt today :D

• 2 weeks later...
myarmolich

FTS coming soon, had a few issues with the construction of the tank, but its all taken care of now :D

HarryPotter

FTS coming soon, had a few issues with the construction of the tank, but its all taken care of now :D

Woo Hoo! Everything looks awesome!

myarmolich

And as promised here are some pictures!

ScoaXTpl.jpg

TTH4zisl.jpg

KmKwQfol.jpg

And the electronics portion I spent wayyyy to long wiring :D

EvcsX5jl.jpg

Tank is still cycling. I seeded it with some live sand from my 20 gallon so hopefully it should be ready by next weekend.

HarryPotter

And as promised here are some pictures!

ScoaXTpl.jpg

TTH4zisl.jpg

KmKwQfol.jpg

And the electronics portion I spent wayyyy to long wiring :D

EvcsX5jl.jpg

Tank is still cycling. I seeded it with some live sand from my 20 gallon so hopefully it should be ready by next weekend.

My god thats sexy. My wiring is 25871456987461519806513 cables everywhere under the stand, unlabled and unorganized :o

myarmolich

My god thats sexy. My wiring is 25871456987461519806513 cables everywhere under the stand, unlabled and unorganized :o

Haha yeah I know how you feel. My OCD took over on one of my days off and this is what happened :P As long as its functional right! I love your tank BTW, big inspiration for mine

myarmolich

I've been busy...

New DIY dosing container! (made with free acrylic!!)

eCTaciIm.jpg

holds ~4 gallons of RODI, and 1 gallon of both 2 part parts.. (wow thats redundant to say..)

BUT WAIT THERES MORE

DIY'd myself a couple of mounting brackets for my Maxspect Razor. These look WAY better than the factory ones. More pictures coming soon!

Os7raPum.jpg

THATS NOT ALL

currently in talks with Zia bringing some SPS to this tank. Also bought an Apex WXM for the Vortechs. The cycle is about done thanks to a seeding of bacteria. Looking forward to fish when I get back from orientation for Berkeley!

Transferred contents from the old tank, got some new fish, and a new centerpiece Elegance coral for ridiculously cheap. Its been a good week.

JSRwNmhl.jpg

D1labmDm.jpg

uJuypBOm.jpg

Should get Zia's SPS pack soon to fill up that right side soon :D

• 2 weeks later...

Zia's SPS pack came!

m8wwtvol.jpg

WHXgkhhl.jpg

XMpYvGJl.jpg

Current stocking list includes:

2 clownfish

3 green chromis

bonus chihuahua shot :D

4OFANKCl.jpg

• 1 month later...

Haven't updated this post in about 2 months.

Top Down Shot:

a8u0rm7l.jpg

Cool Zoanthid Shots:

NtgezHAl.jpg

p97rBLjl.jpg

Bubble Tip Anemones!

Kgns31Tl.jpg

and my favorite... the Elegance coral

MqaPVCkl.jpg

Boring write-up:

since this tank has been setup for a long time, I stocked it accordingly. Managed to lose a pair of clowns (rip little guys :() & a flame wrasse to an aggressive yellow damsel (little bastard). I am still trying to remove this fish from the tank. When he is gone, i am considering just getting a yellow corris wrasse and a flame angelfish and calling this tank stocked on fish. Any advice would be appreciated!

Archived