Top Shelf Aquatics

Is Bulk Reef Supply better than Marine depot?

kush'sreef

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

where should i order custom caddy/reactor/ 2-4 mm pink course sand (over the fine/black sand scratching my glass. plus skimmer?

Im mad the new aquamaxx skimmer won't fit in my filtration area.

what skimmer would you do if you were me no so stoked on the ghost skimmer and the HOB AQUAMAXX is a little out of my budget for the moment. thots.

If you want a media basket, go with InTank. The best designed and made mediabaskets you can get. They also sell skimmers.

reefernanoman

Why in the world would you want that pile of crap?

I concur with that statement! I bought the custom caddy, then bought the Intank media basket, since it's MUCH better! Intank on the left, custom caddy on the right:

IMG_1847.jpg

SchnauzerFace

You guys must be behind on BRS TV videos. Ryan cut his hair about a year ago. It's pretty funny to watch the progression of his hosting duties. When he had the long hair, he was suuuuper laid back and quiet. Dude gets a hair cut and all of a sudden he turns into freaking Billy Mays of reef tanks.

reefernanoman

I have to pay sales tax for MD. BRS doesn't. For things with MAP pricing, I usually go to Aquacave as they offer free shipping, reward bucks, no tax for me, and there's always a 10% coupon floating around the web.

Well, I used to live in southern Cali and a few years ago they had a special coupon to save on the sales tax. So I would get my stuff next day, with ground shipping and no tax! I would ask about the mentioned coupon, since it didn't have an expiration date.

BRS is 5 miles from my house. I order online and pick up there. I get to talk to a lot of the people there regularly and they are all really great. There are TONS of tanks there for employees of all levels to learn the products. I've purchased from both, but will put in a plug for BRS based on seeing first hand how they operate

+1 to BRS taking a genuine interest.

5 miles from your house? Have you ever bumped into Ryan? I love his youtube videos. Very good info in those.

You guys must be behind on BRS TV videos. Ryan cut his hair about a year ago. It's pretty funny to watch the progression of his hosting duties. When he had the long hair, he was suuuuper laid back and quiet. Dude gets a hair cut and all of a sudden he turns into freaking Billy Mays of reef tanks.

I still think that he does a great job!

marine depot is so great to work with, they are by far my favorite online store to throw my money at. But I can't say I've ever had a bad experience with BRS either. I've had to use customer service for both, both have pretty good customer service but I think MD really knocks it out of the park.

the advantage of BRS is the bulk additives and cheap filters socks, and they have more "DIY" type stuff.

both are excellent vendors and I don't think we should try to pit them against each other or alienate either of them.

SchnauzerFace

I still think that [Ryan from BRSTV] does a great job!

As do I! I really love BRSTV, and I watch every video they put out, even if they don't pertain to me (i.e. how to set up your Apex, maintenance on calcium reactors, etc). He's got a lot of personality and I think he represents his company well.

Well, I used to live in southern Cali and a few years ago they had a special coupon to save on the sales tax. So I would get my stuff next day, with ground shipping and no tax! I would ask about the mentioned coupon, since it didn't have an expiration date.

5 miles from your house? Have you ever bumped into Ryan? I love his youtube videos. Very good info in those.

I still think that he does a great job!

Havent ever seen him. Next time I am there I'll ask to get a selfie with him. Epic

llama roadkill

But Stevie at inTank gives out candy. I freaking love candy.

I know, that Swedish fish I got from him was amazing.

Nickbruh510

Marine depot gases tough if you live in the west coast, shipping is fast and free shipping of over certain amount, and whoever the hell said marine depot is a whore for facebook likes your tripping brs whores for attention sending me crap every week that irrelevant to anything I was looking at. Salt crittwrs whores for Facebook likes , not marine depot bruh. Calling brs is like calling a collection agency as calling marine depot is like hitting up bill Wann for a straight answer on something. Cuz.

How I feel now that Jeff messaged me making it right:

anchorman-teamjump.gif

I'm gonna get my shirt! :D

Wouldn't you rather be Dr Who? Tardis >> T Shirt!

Anyway, I have used MD and BRS and both are great. Quality products, great packaging, quick shipping.

Occasionally I'll use Drs F&S or Pet Solutions if I am buying Reef Crystals or just some small bits and pieces.

I use Foster and Smith, Premium Aquatics, Marine Depot and BRS and have been happy with all of them. I like BRS videos, so sometimes that nudges me to them, plus me being in Iowa their standard shipping arrives overnight which is awesome.

That being said I ordered a sump from MD and it arrived damaged, Marine Depot did a fantastic job of sending me a new one right away and doing all the work with UPS, I didn't have to do anything aside from the email to MD saying it was damaged and I included pics. I was very impressed with that. Most companies are great if things go smooth, but the time for them to shine is when something doesn't go well and MD was great when that happened.

They both rock when it comes to dry goods. Sometimes BRS has stuff Marine Depot doesn't carry like the mesh for screen tops and other hobby items unique to BRS. I give both retailers 5 Stars!

Thanks for all feedback guys, I wish all my topics went off like this. I know I want a free shirt and candy lol

Have yet to be wronged by MD, BRS, and Premium Aquatics. All good places to shop from. Premium Aquatics is doubly good when they do their T5 bulb clearances.

Premium Aquatics is boss when it comes to sand. Can't beat that Tropic Eden Reef flakes. I got my shipment in 3 days.

LebaneseDlight

I used to use that code! It's been MIA for a while. Does anyone know if it still works?

C00kieduster

Both are great. I use MD for salt as they are one of the few places that have it (ESV). They ship faster as they are closer to me. I enjoy watching both sites videos, except that guy at BRS needs to cut that hair. It probably gets him laid, so I can understand it, but still.

There is no way that hair gets anyone laid haha!

There is no way that hair gets anyone laid haha!

Yes way. Lots of chicks will only date guys with long hair. That is a proven fact of science! -_-

Archived