inTank Media Baskets

Cichlidrookie Fluval Spec V Build

Cichlidrookie

Cichlidrookie

So on Boxing Day I finally found some sexy shrimps. YEAH, now my tank is complete well almost.

I got 4 sexy shrimps and 1 female anemone crab to add to my tank. Maybe they will mate and make babies.

I recently also added a Birds of Paradise frag, hopefully I have better luck with this sps.

Here are some pics of the sexiness and crab.

80EEA45F-18FD-49E3-B395-A4A6CFB14321_zps

76CCF7D6-CB4E-4FD3-9680-301A11C74EF2_zps

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cichlidrookie

Been a month since my last update....so here is one.

Added a new guy to my tank. Been looking for him since December and finally found one.....A Tail Spot Blenny, my wife calls him Spotty.

He was pretty shy at first but after a few days he is super active. He actually gets my Clown to swim around more.

Here is some pics.

DBEC5149-828C-430C-8576-0C55AC3AAE75_zps

41520481-b827-4ec9-8494-4f65e6be8ea3_zps

A crappy FTS

2DAAECA6-D350-417C-8CDE-4009E9AE41D0_zps

New torch coral

7207C623-2E63-4722-97CD-014C2E7D0B16_zps

7F898651-A4EF-4855-9CDE-E2B2589D6F76_zps

Everything else seems the same.....unless you are an sps in my tank in which case you are dead.

Don't know what is happening but they don't do well in my tank. My parameters must be all messed up for them.

• 3 weeks later...
Cichlidrookie

So I am going to try something new with the tank. Going to need some feedback from the rest on this forum.

Just a reminder I am working with this pico spec v.

Options

1. Skimmer most likely DIY because of size restraints in the back.

2. Running GFO or Carbon or BOTH.

3. Adding Kalkwasser to ATO

Going to try one within the next few months.

I know they are all different things.

I do run purigen (carbon) and chem pure so the chemical part is taken care off but I am willing to try a reactor with a small pump. I want my water to be more clear.

Would be nice to get some feedback?

Thanks

NewbReefer316

Great looking tank, picked up a Spec II and V and trying decide which one i'm going to use as a pico. Will be going bare bottom as well and really like the GSP bottom. I had planned on growing it on the back wall but I may have to switch it up. Any drawbacks so far to growing it on the bottom?

Cichlidrookie

Yes!! Just a warning. It is growing on my rocks and spreading like crazy. It is hard to pull/peel it off the rock so I just let it grow but now it is slowly growing/coral war with my Yuma. Had to take my acans off that rock.

It I had to do it again I would still do it because I love the grass look.

Good luck with your decision.

Cichlidrookie

So no one really piped up about the 3 options so I decided to go with Kalkwasser in my ATO. Also getting a CAD lights nano reactor. Thinking of running GFO and Carbon, or Cheato.

Here are everyone's favourite pictures. All taken with iPad Air.

Sexy Shrimp with cool whites on.

F26D4369-FF29-41C5-A894-EE0AE4AC1823_zps

B7F2EE3E-080E-4BEF-8618-ECD06CE74E0E_zps

C6C4AC1D-8A9C-441F-B3CC-69221BAD31A7_zps

F3D7E75C-DCF3-4B62-8C36-2D85B4F3E89C_zps

Sexy shrimp with blues on.

480198C9-B6D9-472A-B2BC-DF7BF6DCF19F_zps

Tail spot Blenny named LENNY.

6B330368-7D59-4821-A995-F1928C917E60_zps

B6BC5C72-6442-42F6-BC03-5D82EBCFA149_zps

Anemone crab with rainbow anemone.

79B77F41-3D79-4C22-B8F1-BE6EA2EDC7D5_zps

Ocellaris clown

33B44F56-3081-4E37-A4DF-25F0F388C0DB_zps

And finally my bubble tip anemone suppose to be RBTA but it loss its colour :(

F8092D13-7409-462F-808F-7944183B2021_zps

Thanks for looking. Please leave any comments or questions.

• 2 weeks later...
Cichlidrookie

So it was March Break here in Ontario, and I went shopping for some corals. The PICO is now full and I don't think I can add anything anymore. Just have to let things grow out now (boring).

Here are some new pics of the corals.

Cheerios Zoas, octospawn and Xenia.

CBB68FD0-09A5-4F4F-8F0E-A0FBFEF918BA_zps

9C07ED43-B794-41F3-9813-19F103D0AF6A_zps

More Xenia

AF5072D2-B325-4D65-B59F-59AD2E1D5CD4_zps

Aussie Torch

71878FE3-83D4-481C-B514-827EC2A2952F_zps

And finally Weslo

D818BC20-1D0E-4F3A-AD8F-80111ED38700_zps

And here are some FTS. The tank is almost 1 year old.

8C11E553-7E8C-41EB-A3CA-3560F584D584_zps

C9D4462A-A77D-4809-9BDD-B31122617B77_zps

D74A8E02-DA1F-4E95-BDCC-96E8ADDE7A7A_zps

Thanks for looking any comment are welcome. Someone please comment I am so bored. Maybe it is time for a new upgrade. MTS.

Cichlidrookie

Really nice looking tank! BB is awesome with the GSP carpet!

Thanks marshmallow just a caution for anyone who wants to do this, the GSP will eventually grow on your rock and take over it. It has grown over some of my Zoas and ric.

Cichlidrookie

So its Friday night and I am a loser.......I test my water. I actually look forward to it, proof that I'm a loser. Lol.

I was off on Monday and did a water change and tested then as well. Here are the number from Monday and today (Friday)

............Monday...........Friday

Alk..........10................. 7

Calc........500..............300

PO4..........0................0.25

Mag........1280.............960

pH............8.1.............. 8.6

NO3...........0..................0

For alk, calc and mag I use Red Sea test kit.

For phos, NO3 and pH I use API.

0FAE1732-6496-41EB-82C4-1940B6097BAF_zps

Does anyone else numbers drop that much in one week?

I do weekly 20 to 25% water change. Is that enough to replenish my numbers?

Could it be that my ATO is getting close to the bottom and more Kalkwasser is being added hence the pH spike?

Please help or do I even need any??

Have you had any problems with the torch stinging other corals with its night time sweepers?

Considering one for my spec-v but given the limited space thought it might be too aggressive.

Have you had any problems with the torch stinging other corals with its night time sweepers?

Considering one for my spec-v but given the limited space thought it might be too aggressive.

I'm also interested in the answer here. Probably the first coral I want to get.

Cichlidrookie

To tell you the truth I am not sure. I don't really have any other corals close to it, might look different in pictures. The only corals next to the torch is another torch, I think I read somewhere that EUPHYLLIA corals do not sting each other and if they do it is minor.

I like the look of this tank! Way to go.

Thanks it is almost 1 year old and I am so glad that I have this thread to keep a diary of my tank. I have lost corals and fish but I think it is all worth it. I love this tank way more than my FW tank. I suggest everyone keep a diary of their tank even if it gets NUKED or if you upgrade. This forum is has soo much info and tank specific that it is amazing.

• 3 weeks later...
Cichlidrookie

So it has been one year and what a year it was. Starting this tank was the best thing I have done in this hobby. Breeding cichlids and growing them out does not compare to the high's of having a reef tank.

So here is what I have lost:

Livestock:

1. Picasso Percula Clown my first salt fish bye bye Thor

2. Black Occelaris Clown Loki

3. Female anemone crab (did not molt properly)

4. Couple of snails and hermit crab

Corals:

1. Hollywood Stunner Chalice

2. LA Lakers Zoas (I think my hermit crab ate them not sure)

3. Fruitloops Zoas (GSP grew over them)

4. Ricordea Yuma (GSP grew over them)

5. Acan

6. Purple Duncan

7. Plate coral

8. Couple of SPS (Fried them did not know to acclimate the light)

9. Heliofungia amazing coral and was doing really well in my tank and then one they it just died. I think my Torch Coral stung it.

Did not get a chance to post a pic but here is a link.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Canada+Coral+Helio&safe=strict&biw=1400&bih=881&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi6xcOL7anMAhVMsoMKHUd6CFUQ_AUIBigB#safe=strict&tbm=isch&q=Heliofungia+Canada+Corals&imgrc=5RBjb8kh59mphM%3A

So after 1 year here is what I have in the tank now.

Livestock:

1. Occelaris Clown

2. Anemone Crab

3. Pom Pom Crab

4. 4 Sexy Shrimp

5. Tail Spot Blenny (Lenny)

6. 4 Snails and 1 Hermit Crab

7. RBTA

8. Flame Bubble Tip Anemone

9. Rock Flower Anemone

Coral:

1. GSP (growing like crazy)

2. Xenia

3. Zoas

4. Palys

5. 2 Octospawns

6. 2 Torches

7. 2 Hammers

8. Ricordea Yuma

9. Think there is more but can't remember or maybe I wish I had space for more.

Must have for this tank.

1. Tunze ATO

2. Cobalt Heater that fit in return pump chamber

3. Mp10wqd

4. DIY mesh screen

5. CaribSea Life Rock (zero pest in tank)

Things I would change.

1. Ecotech Radion XR 15wPro, the spread on this light is not made for a tank this narrow. I got this light with hopes of upgrading one day which I will. It will most likely go on a frag tank.

2. DIY basket, should have got off my wallet and got the intank media basket but I don't think the ATO would fit back there if I had it.

Thanks for reading and sorry for no pictures. Will post some soon when I get my good camera out and not use iphone pics.

• 1 month later...
Cichlidrookie

CRASH...... :( :(

Well need to put this in writing because it is SAD.
My pico crashed......

I guess things were going too well, came home yesterday to my ATO pumping the bottom on the reservoir into the tank. The tank was WHITE, filled with KALK.

The worst part was that I was actually going to take new pictures yesterday when I got home and now I don't have any pictures of the tank at its prime. Man I guess being lazy caught up to me.

95% of the tank was dead, I quickly did 90% WC and hoped for the best. Woke up this morning to find the rest dead.

Only thing alive so far is a hermit crab, a couple of snails and my POM POM crab(weird).

What should I do? :unsure:
Restart? :o
Try to salvage some things? :wub:
Turn it into a frag tank? ;)
Get a bigger tank (wife already said no)? :angry:

I am soo sad I don't even know what to do next.

If I restarted the tank do I need to go through a cycle again?
or can I just let things settle down before adding anything new?
Hammerstone

Iam so sorry. Don't give up. Remember how much you love this hobby and that you can make it right again. I don't really have any answers for you but I just hope you don't give up. I am so sorry for your losses. Your tank was so beautiful and will be again.

Cichlidrookie

I have a Tunze nano ATO. The ATO was not the real problem it was the way I set the pump up. I layer it upright so it sucked up all the unmixed kalk. My tank was white in colour when I got home. I fixed the problem but it is too late. Everything is now dead, all the snails, Pom Pom crab as well. I think the GSP might survive, so wish me luck.

I did another 50% WC so let's hope the GSP survives.

Cichlidrookie

So I can't quite decide what to do next need this forums help.

1. Restart the tank as a simple frag tank. (moving in one year and would like to upgrade and will have nice full grown coral by that time)

2. IM Nuvo Fusion 10, new build.

Have a few questions?

Do I need to have live rock in the tank for frags?

Can I still have fish in there with just frags? (like stores do)

Should I restart the cycle with what's in the tank now or take everything off the rocks and clean the rocks?

What is the best way to clean the rocks, I have dead GSP all over it?

Bleach it?

Please help with any comments.

I'm sorry to hear about the crash.

May I ask why were you dosing kalk if you use red sea salt? i've heard their numbers are pretty high to prevent dosing. I've considered switching to it so I can stop dosing...i like simple systems.

If you are moving, a frag tank will be easier as most I have seen, have no rock.

You could add fish, its beneficial to the corals. That being said- moving any tank is a pain.

I have an IM 10g and I run it very simply. I upgraded the pump because the stock pump isn't good- i use it to mix my salt.

I upgraded the media basket as well- the stock one was a PITA and use floss and carbon(changing to chemipure blue), i have a jagger heater.

I like the tank a lot. Very simple to use.

My only gripe is 1- i wish the intake was lower, the return was a bit lower, and I wish I had gone with 20g...just personal preference:)

Why not do both? You have the 5g, do that as a frag tank with aquamaxx or par38 light and the 10g im as a display with the radions

Cichlidrookie

I'm sorry to hear about the crash.

May I ask why were you dosing kalk if you use red sea salt? i've heard their numbers are pretty high to prevent dosing. I've considered switching to it so I can stop dosing...i like simple systems.

If you are moving, a frag tank will be easier as most I have seen, have no rock.

You could add fish, its beneficial to the corals. That being said- moving any tank is a pain.

I have an IM 10g and I run it very simply. I upgraded the pump because the stock pump isn't good- i use it to mix my salt.

I upgraded the media basket as well- the stock one was a PITA and use floss and carbon(changing to chemipure blue), i have a jagger heater.

I like the tank a lot. Very simple to use.

My only gripe is 1- i wish the intake was lower, the return was a bit lower, and I wish I had gone with 20g...just personal preference:)

Why not do both? You have the 5g, do that as a frag tank with aquamaxx or par38 light and the 10g im as a display with the radions

I was dosing Kalk because I noticed that my Alk levels were dropping too much weekly. I might have had too many corals in there sucking up all the Calcium. Trying to stabilize the Alk and Calc level. My Alk would drop down to 6 sometimes 5 every week even with weekly water changes. So I started adding Kalk to my ATO and it worked keeping my Alk stable at around 9.

I would love to have to tank but I already have 2 freshwater tanks (30 gal and 120 gal cichlid) and WIFE (BOSS) says 3 is her limit. Pretty sure most of us on here have a spouse that restricts us from have a fish room or more tank or spend all our money on this hobby.

I am starting to like the idea of a frag tank and let the frags grow out that way when I move I can get a Nuvo 20 or 30, and I will have coral ready for that tank.

Thanks for your ideas.

Archived