Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Martin's nano in China

Martin in China

CronicReefer

Thanks, I hope I won't disappoint you guys.

Still nobody on the snail identity?

Reminds me more of a sea cucumber than a snail.
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Martin in China

Reminds me more of a sea cucumber than a snail.

It has a hard shell, so my guess is that it's a snail. After some intensive Google-ing I think it's either a Turbinid or Trochid.

Martin in China

When I came home Yesterday I spotted a tiny crab hiding under some rock and crawling away very fast after he spotted me...it's so cool to see live in your tank when you only put in some rock....something attached to it, yes you would expect that, but something crawling out of it is kinda special to me.

I don't know if it's a crab we want in our tanks, but for now (as I'm still cycling and he is still tiny) he can stay. If the time comes to remove him, I probably will put him in the filter/sump part.

Cool tank!

It has a hard shell, so my guess is that it's a snail. After some intensive Google-ing I think it's either a Turbinid or Trochid.

The snail looks like a Banded Trochus snail, maybe a baby?

How big is it? Is there just one?

If it stays really tiny and never grows up, it's probably a collonista snail, but the shell pattern doesn't quite look like it.

Martin in China

Cool tank!

The snail looks like a Banded Trochus snail, maybe a baby?

How big is it? Is there just one?

If it stays really tiny and never grows up, it's probably a collonista snail, but the shell pattern doesn't quite look like it.

So far I spotted 2 of those snails, one is about 1/16 inch and the other one half of that. With my luck it will probably be Collonista....I think it's best to get them out while I still only have 2 (I'm just scared they will get into my pumps).

Martin in China

Could it be that my tank is already cycled??...

I tested my water parameters yesterday (after 4 days dropping in some fish food);

Nitrite = 0

Nitrate = 3

Ammonia = 0

Phosphate = 0.5 (after turning of the skimmer and taking GFO out, before it was not detectable)

My tank has been running for 10 days now, I used filter media that I already cycled in a small tank before and I'm using live rock that has been at my LFS for a long time.

Anyway, I want to wait and test some more over the next week, before taking the next step.

Martin in China

keep finding more and more critters (maybe stare to much?)...last evening found a clam stuck to a rock and this morning another clam like critter which actually moves like a snail.

Martin in China

Still looking good and I found more crabs and clams, still putting fish food in the tank every day, still Ammonia 0 ppm, Nitrite 0 ppm and Nitrate 3 ppm.....time for stocking with some fish and corals?

Martin in China

Any good suggestions for fish in my 20 G tank?? I am thinking to get a tail spot blenny, but I'm still not sure what (brightly colored) fish next to it, I would like to have 2 or 3 of the same ones rather than 2 or 3 different species next to the blenny. I'm thinking of 1 Gramma loreto and azure damselfish (Chrysitera hemicyanea) or 2 of the last one....it's kinda difficult to make a choice...damn, I need a bigger tank LOL.

CronicReefer

You can pair dottybacks quite easily as they are hermaphrodites like clown fish and they come in a great variety of colors as well.

Martin in China

the best part of a tank is discovering what came with the rocks - good or bad.

Yep...I can't stop staring ...I wish I knew what all those little things are.

Martin in China

Just some photo's of my live rock and if someone know what the red/pink stuff is on the first two photo's, I would be very interested to know.

DSC01234%20kleiner_zpspfrwogbq.jpg

DSC01235%20kleiner_zps2nf0yjdb.jpg

DSC01236%20kleiner_zps790ljc8j.jpg

DSC01237%20kleiner_zps1y3j5xyt.jpg

DSC01238%20kleiner_zps3fjowln6.jpg

DSC01240%20kleiner_zpsodj41tmd.jpg

Last picture is of a clam growing on one of the rock.

Live everywhere on those rocks, it's just to cool to see.

Martin in China

First 2 pictures are probably Acarnus erithacus and the clam in the last picture, could that be an oyster?

Martin in China

Always in the same rock but often at different spots I see which looks like 2 legs of something sticking out. What is this?

DSC01243kleiner_zpsyaxezobj.jpg

DSC01242kleiner_zps6y8vzuoe.jpg

Martin in China

I was trying to buy some CUC members (snails), but the shops here don't have them, "nobody wants them", was there answer when I asked for snails. One shop owner told me to go to the beach to collect some there, so that's what I did. Looking among the rocks at the coast I found more than just snails, also found a nice small Urchin (no photo yet), and some Anenomes, which I picked up one, but that one is in a different small tank and some kind of sponge, also in that small tank. I keep that small tank for anything I find at the coast here and as quarantine tank.

DSC01273kl_zpshzfvjxod.jpgDSC01278_zpsa1ge29eh.jpg

Some of the snails I found

DSC01280kl_zpspojpte8a.jpg

Sponge?

DSC01281kl_zpswnrizere.jpg

The Anenome.

DSC01282kl_zpsbttevipb.jpg

Here I fed him a cockroach (yes we have those nasty creatures everywhere in China)

CronicReefer

I wouldn't feed your anemone a cockroach, that isn't exactly a natural food source for them although I'm sure its full of protein ;).

Nice tank, I would not recommend feeding the anemone cockroaches though, It is not a natural food source. I am not familiar with chinese waters but are those anemones and snails native to reef environments? If not, they will not do well in the higher temperatures of tropical reef setups.

Martin in China

The water where I found those snails and other creatures is pretty warm, 25 to 28 degrees Celcius (77 to 85 Fahrenheit) (in the pools where I found them, the temp. gets ever higher) in summer and drop to about 18 Celcius (66 Fahrenheit) in winter.

I wasn't sure if I should feed the Anemone this roach, but shrimp and roaches are pretty much the same.

I would reason its not an impossible foodsource for these creatures as tsunamis and whatnot may wash some unlucky saps to sea. Perhaps not give it a lot... I'd prefer the shrimp to roach if I were a nem.

Archived