SaltCritters.com

Stumped on the Cycle

CCXGT

FB5B6C6A-EF81-4C36-AE31-12A87D10C90B_zps

So this is an 8l (~2G) water change.

The top of the Mag Float was the full water line.

Would this amount work for the main water change schedule? Or it is too much?

Probably fine, but it might end up being too much. you could try it for a bit and see how it does. If your corals/fish are struggling, change less water and see how it goes. I did a 20% weekly water change on my pico and it was fine.

Just a thought that Tibsy can weigh in on, maybe the high nitrates are partial cause of your ammonia reading from die-off?

Probably. The ammonia has to go somewhere in the cycle. If you had a ton of ammonia, then it goes away and your nitrites are still low but your nitrates are high, it makes sense that your nitrates are coming from the ammonia. And that makes sense in this situation. If OP's ammonia-utilizing bacteria outnumber the nitrite-using bacteria, then your ammonia will drop quickly and nitrite and nitrates will drop much slowly. As the bacteria catch up, the nitrites drop sharply, causing a rise in the nitrate levels, but there hasn't been enough nitrates until this point to drive the final reactions that remove nitrate. A water change would help with that in this case. I'd say OPs bacterial levels are even now.

One way to test would be to spike a small amount of ammonia and then continually check it a few times over a 24 hour period. If the tank is stable, there should be the following (Upon addition of the ammonia as Time 0) over a 24 hour period.

1. spike in ammonia, nitrite/nitrate remain the same
  2. drop in ammonia, slowly rising nitrite level, initial nitrate level the same
  3. ammonia depletion, nitrite spike, nitrates begin to rise
  4. ammonia gone, nitrite levels drop, nitrates rise
  5. ammonia gone, nitrite gone, nitrates rise/stabilize.

This could happen over the full 24 hours or it could happen rapidly in a few hours. I'd guess in most stable, mature tanks, I'd say it'd probably take 4-8 hours to see the full cycle finish.

Maybe clean filter and start cleaning sand (some on each water change for a good routine...) also... Make sure you are using good water too... (ie. check the water you add before adding for nitrates etc, especially if it is not ro/di water)

Maybe clean filter and start cleaning sand (some on each water change for a good routine...) also... Make sure you are using good water too... (ie. check the water you add before adding for nitrates etc, especially if it is not ro/di water)

The only water I have on hand is LFS bought RO(maybe DI).

I haven't thought to check it yet but I'm assuming all is well since no obvious algae's are growing.

The Nitrates have dropped to 40/80ppm so I think 1 more water change and I should be set.

Yeah I would still check it.... test it like you do your tank water before you add to the tank... That way you know you arent adding any bad stuff and are actually helping the tank on water changes.

Archived