SaltCritters.com

NanoreefNate's DSA 35G Massive Pic Update May 21st!

nanoreefnate

Thanks Doc! I do not feed my zoas anything actually. What I have found is that when I had a more "sterile" tank setup with a filter sock and heavy skimming with no low flow refugium as I did with my 20G, the zoas definitely grew a lot slower. In this current setup, I have no filter sock, just a rock rubble diffusion zone in the sump, the same skimmer as my 20, which equals less skimming, and I have a 10G deep mud bed in my 10g low flow refugium. As you can see from the images the later setup has promoted much more growth than my previous system. Hope this helps!

Thanks. I guess I need to go back to my old regimen. My old tank had amazing growth from my Zoas and Palys. I had no skimmer, no refugium, and very little water changes. I also did not feed my coral directly. I had good strong flow and good lighting. That's it.

Now, I have a skimmer, I do more frequent water changes, and I spot feed. Yet, my growth is pathetic and I have even lost a few Zoas to melting. I never had problems with any of my other Zoas before and they grew like weeds.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nanoreefnate

Thanks. I guess I need to go back to my old regimen. My old tank had amazing growth from my Zoas and Palys. I had no skimmer, no refugium, and very little water changes. I also did not feed my coral directly. I had good strong flow and good lighting. That's it.

Now, I have a skimmer, I do more frequent water changes, and I spot feed. Yet, my growth is pathetic and I have even lost a few Zoas to melting. I never had problems with any of my other Zoas before and they grew like weeds.

Yup, I'd say that your previous system is the clear winner in this situation.

I'll be posting some macro shots of my tank probably on Monday. I'm using them for my final project in my photoshop class so might as well post them here too.

omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg

FTS Time :P This is the first FTS I've taken on my 5D Mark III not on my iPhone. haha.

17295417626_53645d9dc3_c.jpg

pagequote

Man that looks good!

nanoreefnate

This tank has a very nice natural look to it.

Thanks Addinali!

Man that looks good!

Thank you very much Mark!

Here's a Refugium update. My turtle grass is growing like crazy and I'm contemplating replacing the 10g with a 20g Extra Tall so that the grass has more room to grow upward. On a different note, mysid shrimp have bloomed in the fuge with hundreds of them roaming around the tank. Here's the shot:

17388849778_39688dc68c_z.jpg
I'll be posting some macro shots of my coral later tonight. :D

It's tanks like this that want make me want to try out Kessils again. I never had any luck with the SPS and my Kessil mainly due to shadowing. Yours' looks great though. Do you get any issues with shadowing, because the pics look so awesome!

Can I ask how for a rough estimate on how far you have the knob turned on colour and what approximate % you are running your light at?

Are you still using a skimmer? I don't see it in your sump area.

nanoreefnate

It's tanks like this that want make me want to try out Kessils again. I never had any luck with the SPS and my Kessil mainly due to shadowing. Yours' looks great though. Do you get any issues with shadowing, because the pics look so awesome!

Can I ask how for a rough estimate on how far you have the knob turned on colour and what approximate % you are running your light at?

Are you still using a skimmer? I don't see it in your sump area.

Hey xlzerolx,

Thanks for the kind words! I do have a few acros that have some shadowing issues but it's only really noticeable when the lights are off.

As for the knob it's roughly 45% from the start point on the right so I'm getting maybe 12-14K color. I'm at 100% on the intensity knob.

I do have a skimmer, the photo I posted is just of the refugium tank. The skimmer I'm using is the Tunze 9002 so that the tank is under-skimmed.

Huge pic update to come!

nanoreefnate

Here's that huge photo update! Some of them a macro shots using my 24-70 f/4L IS USM Macro capable lens.

Right Side Zoa Garden plus the Scoly, Plate, and Clam

17763583979_be10dda60c_z.jpg

Left Side Acan Garden

17946754182_c40b74e1d9_z.jpg

SPS Island

17763577799_20e2f094a7_z.jpg

The Rastas Macro

17923440866_45bd006853_z.jpg

Acans Macro

17762004818_8dc75525f6_z.jpg

Green Slimer Macro

17761990878_45988b6071_z.jpg

Tricolor Valida Macro

17327261464_01c80b5550_z.jpg

Red Planet Macro

17950513241_15aa80e1ca_z.jpg

Crocea Clam Macro

17762229210_3a107ee9d3_z.jpg

nanoreefnate

holy rastas!!! Awesome update!

Haha thanks!

I want your Rastas!

They're taking over my Tubbs Blues! I really needa frag them haha.

Simply Amazing :D I'm located in the East Bay as well. Whats your preferred LFS?

Thanks! Well, I'm biased because I work at Neptune Aquatics and have since I started reefing back in the summer of 2009. My second go to store though is Aquatic Collection over in Hayward.

Wow, awesome. Love the Acans and Zoas.

Thanks Doc! :D

Everything looks so damn happy,it's ridiculous man. Sps look amazing,but shhhhhit,those Acan's :happydance: !!!

Haha Thanks for the kind words RK! :flower:

myarmolich

myarmolich, on 21 May 2015 - 6:31 PM, said:

snapback.png

Simply Amazing :D I'm located in the East Bay as well. Whats your preferred LFS?

Thanks! Well, I'm biased because I work at Neptune Aquatics and have since I started reefing back in the summer of 2009. My second go to store though is Aquatic Collection over in Hayward.

Oh thats awesome, ill definitely have to make the trip out there sometime

nanoreefnate

Oh thats awesome, ill definitely have to make the trip out there sometime

Yeah! haha where abouts in the East Bay are ya?

wow, your tank looks amazing!

Thanks Clown!

myarmolich

Yeah! haha where abouts in the East Bay are ya?

Thanks Clown!

I'm located in the San Ramon/Walnut Creek area. Not a huge reef scene out here like there is in San Jose, but it seems to be picking up a little bit

omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg

FTS Time :P This is the first FTS I've taken on my 5D Mark III not on my iPhone. haha.

17295417626_53645d9dc3_c.jpg

Wow! Seriously Nate that looks amazing.

Dang look at the rasta colony. Just beautiful.

Archived