Innovative Marine Aquariums

12 GALLON - the aftermath.

Finding Paulo

Finding Paulo

WSUPPP PIMP CHUN DADDY is b-b-b-bzackkk or is it zback? idk!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I decided since water changes and taking care of evaporation was such a pain living in a 4th floor condo on the 50 cube i decided to go back to my origins and get a 12 gallon nano cube again!!! I was debating on going planted freshwater but deep in my heart im a saltwater guy. gotta stay real. B)

anyways..

Tank : JBJ nanocube 12 gallon

• Curved glass
  • 1 inch sand bed (pink fiji
  • 15 pounds live rock

Filter : Built-in 3 chamber filtration with the surface skimmer

• 1st chamber - Sponge cleaning out every 2 weeks and filter floss on top
  • 2nd chamber - Ceato with light.
  • 3rd chamber - Heater, Chemipure, Purigen, changing the pump to a Maxijet 900

Lighting :

• Has standard LED i guess this is the new model?? Im planning on doing a DIY LED MOD!!! stay tuned!! ;)

Equipment :

• Ecotech - MP10WES
  • thinking about an oceanic biocube skimmer.. i knwo ive been out of the nano game for a bit but damn .. they make them small now!! Do these skimmers really work??
  • 50 watt heater

so after spending thousands on this hobby .. i grew wiser and now try to save money where i can instead of always buying the NEW STUFF.

TANK AND LIGHTING

IMG_6549.jpg

ended up scoring on this 12gallon led with stand for 120 on craigslist! Thanks chris or dan. damn forgot you name. sorry

IMG_6567.jpg

Straight to the biz yo, bought some things from home depot to do my light project. I went with Ecoxotic 2 x 12k/445 blue panorama pro 2.0 and 1 x all 445 blue stunner strip. (didnt end up using glue or electric tape. ended up getting the whole lighting set for 80 bucks! Look around peeps you will find good deals out there!! Thanks Jackson!

IMG_6553.jpg

how good these are .. i will never know.

IMG_6554.jpg

So first, after i unplugged the fan wires i took out literally everything. gutted the poor thing with my bare hands.

IMG_6576.jpg

I literally have no backround in electric wiring so i played around a bit and before i knew it it worked! basically cut the tips off both the adapter and fans and connect the reds with the positive side of the adapter and the blacks with the negative.. also since i had no use of the on/off switch on top i used it to connect my fan .. thought it be cool..

question: i have 2 fans @ 12v each ... so do i need a 24v adapter? its still working on the 12v so maybe ill leave it.

IMG_6568.jpg

Found these at home depot for 61 cents a piece. I used this to elevate the ecoxotic lights so they have some room to breathe and for the fan to cool them instead of them being mounted on the heat sink. The reason its sticking out on the right side is because on the left side the lights must start there bc of the fan and it sticks out to the right .. Youll see. I sometimes suck at explaining.

IMG_6569.jpg

I went really cheap and used 2 screws and nuts from each fan and the used the premade holes on the heat sink.. This really is the easiest way to do it.. its like it was meant to be.... like love. lolll (u dont have to cut or sand it down.

IMG_6570.jpg

On the led model the fan is on the side not the top so to fit these guys you have to break the tabs off the lights.

IMG_6583.jpg

attached the lights with zip ties.. i know cheap but dude whatever man. im still pimpin. This was the hardest part just getting everything to fit.. u gotta mess around a little bit.

IMG_6590.jpg

put the plastic cover back on .. make sure it fits well like orginal .. u dont want water getting in your electrical ...

next light test... :scarry:

IMG_6593.jpg

:happydance:im a dance machine a da da da dance machine!

IMG_6597-1.jpgtank came with a stand but i wanted something flush with my desk.

IMG_6628.jpg

My current status of my 50g.. shes super jealous. but them girls know i always come back!

Im not the young grass hopper i once was so i will have to stop for today and continue my journey tomorrow.

post-65232-0-04024700-1414103824_thumb.jpg

post-65232-0-21015900-1414104088_thumb.jpg

post-65232-0-58018000-1414104102_thumb.jpg

post-65232-0-69216800-1414104108_thumb.jpg

post-65232-0-27002200-1414104115_thumb.jpg

post-65232-0-13216400-1414104123_thumb.jpg

post-65232-0-60391000-1414104129_thumb.jpg

post-65232-0-23556100-1414104138_thumb.jpg

post-65232-0-83605600-1414104146_thumb.jpg

post-65232-0-38004400-1414104328_thumb.jpg

post-65232-0-97772900-1414104487_thumb.jpg

post-65232-0-95116500-1414104517_thumb.jpg

post-65232-0-11943400-1414104526_thumb.jpg

post-65232-0-16379800-1414104551_thumb.jpg

post-65232-0-79315000-1414104846_thumb.jpg

Finding Paulo

REEFAPALOOZA WAS GREAT... saw some good deals on corals but couldnt get any bc my tank isnt even cycled... so sad i was so sad i tell u. but got so many free bottles of coral food chemipure purigen salt ... great expo.

IMG_6701.jpg

Finally got some things today!!! oh yeahhhhh..

IMG_6627.jpg

maxijet 900 pump, 10 pounds of sand.. might add more later, 50 watt heater

sponge/ filter floss, live rock .. some chemipure purigen and other random stuff

IMG_6630.jpg

WHAT IS THIS?! a chamber for ants?? it must be atleast 10 times bigger!

IMG_6632.jpg

also built my own little basket.. on top i will house the purigen and then the middle is where the chemipure will go so the water is nice and clear on its way out to the display.

IMG_6639copy.jpegchamber 1 will be sponge (planning on bi-monthly cleaning.. thinking about oceanic skimmer .. anyone have any luck with those?

chamber 2 will be chaeto and heater

chamber 3 purigen chemipure and return pump

IMG_6638.jpg

thought this one awesome .. my maxijet came with this thing which had a hole at the end up the stick ... and i just zip tied it for easy take out.

IMG_6625.jpg

i have 8 plug ins for this small tank.

IMG_6646.jpg

FIJI PINK PIMPIN!

IMG_6648.jpg

this is a love hate relationship.. but i think i got the perfect landscape!!!! (also boiled these rocks bc i had a tramatic bristle worm problem in my first nano.

IMG_6624.jpg

New setup!!

IMG_6735.jpg

IMG_6733.jpg

FTS.. love the lights and how it shimmers .. great stuff.

anyways .. now its time to wait. hopefully it cycles fast.

Deleted User 8
You can always get a product like bio spira if you want an instant cycle. It looks good though. What fish are you thinking?

There is no such thing as an instant cycle in a bottle.

Buzz

Finding Paulo

Im actually going to brazil soon so i have time for it to naturally cycle.. i put a small rock from an old tank hopefullly that does something overtime.

My question is a lighting question:

Im currently using 2 panorama pro 12kwhite/445 blue on dimmers... I plan on having some bright color corals like rainbow acan and scolys .. will this lighting be okay or should i switch one 12kwhite/445blue to an all 445 blue or 445 blue/magenta???

i have a blue stunner strip to turn on so i can visually see all the pop colors but is a real blue lightning needed?

I would mix a 445/magenta in there myself. Though I like the blue and magenta's red peaks will help with warmer colors being brought out which is important with things like rainbow acans imo.

My rainbow acans have some lovely red colors that I fear would be lost in a cool white royal blue only mix.

Finding Paulo

You can always get a product like bio spira if you want an instant cycle. It looks good though. What fish are you thinking?

Actually as of now im not thinking of any fish and maybe just doing a coral only tank.. cuc and some other invertebrates included

I would mix a 445/magenta in there myself. Though I like the blue and magenta's red peaks will help with warmer colors being brought out which is important with things like rainbow acans imo.

My rainbow acans have some lovely red colors that I fear would be lost in a cool white royal blue only mix.

cool i see.. yeah out of the 12 1 watt led's 4 of them would be magenta and 8 would be all blue... Hmm im curious if the magenta will really have some performance effect or if its just for show. leaning towards the 445/magenta module.

Finding Paulo

So my tank is still not cycled.. i know i boiled the rocks but i thought it would be okay since im using live sand .. should i throw in a fish to speed up this process?? there is absolutely no signs of diatoms!

I'm actually an avid user of BioSpira. I actually cycled my tanks using some live/cured rock from my friend's LFS. I cycled my tanks naturally for about 2-3 weeks. After I put in half a bottle of spira in conjunction with having a piece of raw shrimp in a panty hose. This gives the bacteria something to feed off of. I pour the rest of the bottle a few days later while replacing the shrimp. Eventually you should see your ammonia hit 0. When that happens I added my first fish. By then the bacteria could handle the waste produced by the first. You should be up and running for stocking by about a month/month and half. Just test!

Of course, do this when you are back from your trip.

Finding Paulo

I'm actually an avid user of BioSpira. I actually cycled my tanks using some live/cured rock from my friend's LFS. I cycled my tanks naturally for about 2-3 weeks. After I put in half a bottle of spira in conjunction with having a piece of raw shrimp in a panty hose. This gives the bacteria something to feed off of. I pour the rest of the bottle a few days later while replacing the shrimp. Eventually you should see your ammonia hit 0. When that happens I added my first fish. By then the bacteria could handle the waste produced by the first. You should be up and running for stocking by about a month/month and half. Just test!

Of course, do this when you are back from your trip.

Cool man, Thanks. im gona go get some Bio Spira and jump start my tank.Is the raw shrimp necessary??

dont throw in a fish! put some ammonia in

Would Bio Spira contain ammonia ? or just bacteria?

Finding Paulo

ingredients:

Principal ingredients: Purified saltwater, patented & patent-pending strains of Nitrosospira, Nitrosomonas, Nitrospira and Nitrococcus.

• 2 weeks later...
Finding Paulo

a little update..

http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/paulochun/media/IMG_7280.jpg.html'>IMG_7280.jpg

got some bio spira im glad i did it this way before i never killed the live rocks i use to get from lfs and always ended up with parasites.

http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/paulochun/media/IMG_7281.jpg.html'>IMG_7281.jpg

some dimmers for my ecoxotics.. loving the color combo i can do

http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/paulochun/media/IMG_7282.jpg.html'>IMG_7282.jpg

doing tests before adding bio spira, i have salfert test kits which i will be retesting with for better accuracy later on.

http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/paulochun/media/IMG_7285.jpg.html'>IMG_7285.jpg

added two hermit crabs because i was so bored.. since they have nothing to eat yet im feeding them algae pellets and theyre loving life.

http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/paulochun/media/IMG_7342.jpg.html'>IMG_7342.jpg

my tank was runnign for almost 4 weeks and i put in bio spira last week and we have DIATOMS!! spreading like wild fire.

Just put in my order for a clean up crew at reefcleaners ..

When should i do a waterchange?? im thinking giving the cuc a week at it before i do one? idk

• 3 weeks later...
Finding Paulo

So, finally got some time to update this thing..

I finally got done cycling LIKE A G and threw in a second mp10 also LIKE A G, a clean up crew, and some corals!!!!

2 sps frags

2 sps colonies

7 dendros, i believe they are dendros but could be wrong

http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/paulochun/media/IMG_7409.jpg.html'>IMG_7409.jpg

Finally got my clean up crew, these guys did a real good job cleaning the tank and the glass. Thanks John @ Reefcleaners

3 - blue leg hermit crabs (i only got 1 blue leg and some white ones... unless theyre albino blues i say they packed it wrong)

15- dwarth cerith

7 florida cerith

7 - nassarius vibex

4- random baby hermits

was also thinking about removing some but when i feed my corals the tank gets so polluted thought it might be good to keep the CUC

http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/paulochun/media/IMG_7682.jpg.html'>IMG_7682.jpg

Added some corals

1 head ultra rainbow acan

multi-head rainbow acan

http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/paulochun/media/IMG_7683.jpg.html'>IMG_7683.jpg

Are these dendros? put these guys under the rock to get them some shade. Got a really good deal bc the previous owner was some guy who lost all interest and was letting them die.

These guys are eating really really well and i already see them returning to their original size.

http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/paulochun/media/IMG_7684.jpg.html'>IMG_7684.jpg

random group of sps. First time and all the polyps are out. How do i know if the light is sufficient? I have my 2 panorama pro's at 50 - 60 percent.

http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/paulochun/media/IMG_7681.jpg.html'>IMG_7681.jpg

this one was really pretty from vivid aquarium. Thanks James and Jesus.

http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/paulochun/media/IMG_7687.jpg.html'>IMG_7687.jpg

FTS

http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/paulochun/media/IMG_7692.jpg.html'>IMG_7692.jpg

http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/paulochun/media/IMG_7691.jpg.html'>IMG_7691.jpg

i put one mp10 right next to the sps coral.. is this okay???? i want to make sure i give them enough flow .. should i not worry about this..?

QUESTIONS (please help me!!)

1. My sps polyps are all out and i understand that the flow is pretty important. Is my 2 mp10 overkill? is this too much flow (its literally right behind next to the corals.. i have it on lowest setting.

2. If i dont have a par meter how do i know if this is sufficient lighting .. i have my panorama strips at 50 percent and seems okay but not sure..? i also dont want to bleach any corals.

3. Are these dendros??

4. should i dose calcium or is weekly water changes okay for my 12 gallon.

5. am i missing anything?!

QUESTIONS (please help me!!)

1. My sps polyps are all out and i understand that the flow is pretty important. Is my 2 mp10 overkill? is this too much flow (its literally right behind next to the corals.. i have it on lowest setting.

2. If i dont have a par meter how do i know if this is sufficient lighting .. i have my panorama strips at 50 percent and seems okay but not sure..? i also dont want to bleach any corals.

3. Are these dendros??

4. should i dose calcium or is weekly water changes okay for my 12 gallon.

1. 2 would be too much. IMO. If you're worried then tune the flow up a little bit though tbh if they are showing their polyps they're probbably happy.

2. Your corals will tell you. Just observe their behavior. If they're showing their polyos they're probably fine. you can tune the lights up tiny increments (<5% weekly) if you're worried about it but at that proximity I would say you shouldn't have any issues with that power setting as long as they aren't shrinking away from the light.

3. Dunno they kinda look like sun corals to me but I've never seen dendros up close before just sun corals.

4. Water changes should be best for the time being. if you go heavy SPS you might need to start testing for calcium and dosing but with such a small volume of water a 5 gallon water change would likely be more beneficial than dosing.

I'd say that two MP10's is a little bit of overkill for a 12 gallon. You'd have to be running them as such a low GPH that just one of them could do the same job. Also, although MP10's are more dispersed flow, SPS don't like being always blasted with flow. Also I do believe that even Ecotech states to not have corals directly in the flow of the propellers.

Finding Paulo

1. 2 would be too much. IMO. If you're worried then tune the flow up a little bit though tbh if they are showing their polyps they're probbably happy.

2. Your corals will tell you. Just observe their behavior. If they're showing their polyos they're probably fine. you can tune the lights up tiny increments (<5% weekly) if you're worried about it but at that proximity I would say you shouldn't have any issues with that power setting as long as they aren't shrinking away from the light.

3. Dunno they kinda look like sun corals to me but I've never seen dendros up close before just sun corals.

4. Water changes should be best for the time being. if you go heavy SPS you might need to start testing for calcium and dosing but with such a small volume of water a 5 gallon water change would likely be more beneficial than dosing.

Thanks for the reply! That's exactly what I'm gonna do , I will keep a close eye on the behavior. Right now they are all opening up pretty nice and seems happy. Hopefully I get a par meter that I can borrow soon .. And the two mp10 I never felt easy so I will take one out once I get home tonight Bc the side of the coral that's directly behind it is closed.. He's probably trippin out.

My calcium is at 425 and all is at 8.9 without dosing so I will keep it simple with water changes!!

nice looking tank..and love your white cabinet in your 50 g...

Thanks! Will start this up back soon. Unless someone wants to cash me out!

I'd say that two MP10's is a little bit of overkill for a 12 gallon. You'd have to be running them as such a low GPH that just one of them could do the same job. Also, although MP10's are more dispersed flow, SPS don't like being always blasted with flow. Also I do believe that even Ecotech states to not have corals directly in the flow of the propellers.

Thanks so much that's exactly what I thought just needed a bother person to tell me.

Finding Paulo

I dont know if im getting good flow for my sps... i see the little polyps move but nothing like the youtube vids.. I took a mp10 out and put one so that it does not directly face the sps corals.

Is this okay? if the polyps are out am i good to go?

I dont know if im getting good flow for my sps... i see the little polyps move but nothing like the youtube vids.. I took a mp10 out and put one so that it does not directly face the sps corals.

Is this okay? if the polyps are out am i good to go?

I just realized you have your LEDs set at 50-60%. I think you should tone the brightness down a bit... maybe around to 25%?

And maybe your SPS pieces have polyp extensions when the lights are off.

Archived