Innovative Marine Aquariums

LPS corals for Picotope

Brayreef

Hello everyone, I'm looking for some ideas on lps corals that can be kept under the stock 9w lighting. I will eventually upgrade to the nanobox at the end of this year but I'm interested in keeping a couple of low light lps (if thats even possible). Also im using the stock filter as of now but will upgrade to aquaclear ac 50 pretty soon. Only have a rio 50 for extra flow.Any input would be appreciated.

P.S.

Still waiting for my cycle to complete so Im also uncertain if an LPS should be my first addition.

Thanks.

I would recommend that you start out with easy to keep, low light corals. Such as mushrooms, colt coral, kenya tree, etc.. I'm not sure if that's enough light, even for lps.

thanks for the input. I was thinking that a duncan or candy cane might work but not 100% sure. GSP will definitely be an option as my first coral.

thanks for the input. I was thinking that a duncan or candy cane might work but not 100% sure. GSP will definitely be an option as my first coral.

GSP will be a good choice as well but it will take over your tank in no time once it gets comfortable. Duncans are the only thing that came to mind as far as lps goes. I'm pretty sure they can survive under a desk lamp if necessary, lol.

Duncans are pretty hardy in my experience, as are plate corals from what I'm seeing in my tank. I got a small green one for $5 so it wouldn't be a big deal if it died though I doubt it will. Plus I've heard baby plates bud out of dead skeletons so there's that :D I'd stay away from the euphyllia family though lol, good luck!

Duncans are pretty hardy in my experience, as are plate corals from what I'm seeing in my tank. I got a small green one for $5 so it wouldn't be a big deal if it died though I doubt it will. Plus I've heard baby plates bud out of dead skeletons so there's that :D I'd stay away from the euphyllia family though lol, good luck!

Plates are super sensitive to alkalinity fluctuations. It can be done, but I wouldn't recommend a plate to someone just starting out, especially to someone with a very small tank.

Fat head dendros. NPS.

This would definitely be an option. Just be careful as you need to feed it regularly since it is not photosynthetic. With regular feedings like that, you could run into problems with excess nutrients if you are not careful.

doppelganger

if you're specifically looking for hearty LPS then I'd say acans are a good option as well. I'd probably stay away from NPS until you know what you're doing.

That being said, even those some of the lps can tolerate lower light, doesn't mean they don't thrive in higher light. It'd be better of u had something more powerful but if you want to give it a shot then ya, a duncan, candy cane, acan or whatever cheap small frag is good.

Any LPS you want that isn't too agressive. In a pico, everything will be overgrowing it's neighbors in LESS than a year. Ricordeas, Palys/Zoas are good softies (since they don't get giant and don't take over) and acan lords, blasos, micromussa, some chalices (chalices do amazing under low light), and anything like that. I personally hate duncans because they get really huge really fast, but to each his own.

Euphyllia is not great for a small pico since they will take over a tank in a year. You really have to think long-term with a pico since unlike a nano where you have a few years to worry about things overgrowing, you only have months in a small pico if everything goes right. Mine is 10 months old and things are already overgrown.

Once you upgrade your light, you can really keep anything you want in your tank - even plates and easier SPS no problem. For picotope, the EcoPico arm is awesome.

Wow, i appreciate everyones input! If i do get an LPS in which I have to target feed, I planned on doing a heavy feeding then a water change shortly after.

Also im going bare bottom. I dont know if that will have an affect on my selections.

Mr. Microscope

I've found that blastos do well in lower light. Acans will probably be okay too with supplemental feeding.

That being said, I'd still really hesitate on keeping anything photosynthetic under a 9W PC. Maybe just shoot for a longer cycle and introduce corals once you have a better light. Learn to deal with algae and a cleanup crew first and enjoy the little hitchhikers you discover over the next few weeks. I know it's tough to wait, but your livestock will thank you if you don't jump in too fast.

Guys, the op has a "stock 9w light", which is likely low light at the very best (in reefing terms of course). I'd be surprised if it could do anything more than just sustain even zoas, much less allow them to thrive. Some of the corals that have been suggested do well in low light, but that's in "reefing terms". What he has likely isn't even made to keep coral. I have more power running over my refugium. IMO, he should stick to the lowest light, easiest to keep corals for the time being, JMO :)

Lol @ NPS. Baby steps, Kat, baby steps.

Plates are super sensitive to alkalinity fluctuations. It can be done, but I wouldn't recommend a plate to someone just starting out, especially to someone with a very small tank.

Sound advice; did not know that... guess I underestimated my little guy :P

I agree that waiting and upgrading will do wonders

Archived