inTank Media Baskets

Nutramar Ova Shortage and Global Shrimp Disease?

natalia_la_loca

I'd be extremely suspicious of that too, especially with a 3 day delay. Normally I would never use this pack, but I don't know what else to do. It doesn't stink, but it's obviously been at least partially thawed at some point.

The strange thing is that my tank has thousands of pods swarming on the glass and yet my mandy is still getting thinner. It makes me wonder if I don't have the right kind of pods for him. The ones I'm ordering are tisbe...we'll see what happens.

Maybe he's just getting old. He was fully grown when I got him, and I've had him for almost five years. Although I've read of people keeping them for eight years or more, and they supposedly can live up to 15 years in the wild.

I really should just toss the food LOL.

5 years??? That's wonderful. It could very well be he is just getting old, who knows how old he is.

I'm pretty sure Tisbe are the good ones that can survive in our warm tanks.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ugh pushed back again, how annoying! I only have 1.5 packs left.

I have negative packs left but we're still doing ok. You are the mandarin expert...my mandarin (a male) does this moonlight dance thing in the tank. He is alone. Think he's asking for a mate? :D

I have negative packs left but we're still doing ok. You are the mandarin expert...my mandarin (a male) does this moonlight dance thing in the tank. He is alone. Think he's asking for a mate? :D

lol expert? Luck imo! At night I have noticed sometimes the boys will swim to the top alone. I think they just get antsy with all those hormonal instincts! Its the female who gets to choose weather to spawn though or chase his ass around the tank in a rage. lol

If you try and pair him, try to get a female at least half his size.

ugh pushed back again, how annoying! I only have 1.5 packs left.

Fish roe from a sushi restaurant, rinsed, will tide you over. Frozen cyclopeeze that comes in a bar is also an option if your mandy cares for it. Brine shrimp direct has raw no thaw arctic copepods that are pretty good too. Smaller pod size than cyclopeeze.

http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/c232/New-Wave-Arctic-Copepods-c233.html

nanoreefnate

This explains a lot! Hopefully OVA can be in production again soon as I too am running low on OVA. At least I don't rely on OVA since I have like 14 tisbe copepod cultures running as well as 3 tiggerpod cultures and I'm also hatching out bbs. OVA's just more convenient. :P

• 1 month later...

The wait continues.....

My husband got a betta... the freshwater kind... it wouldn't eat ANYTHING.. pellets..flake.. blood worms.. mysis.. brine. Three weeks went by and it hasn't ate so I tried ova... gobbled it down like crack rocks....

River_styx

So I talked to a guy that goes up the wholesaler in LA for my LFS. He said when he was up there one of the guys said Nutramar was having issues getting a hold of the shrimp that lay the eggs :/

I've noticed, I believe, H2O Life's cyclops has chunks in it. I've had luck getting some mandarins to take that if anyone is looking for something else to try. Mine takes the Hikari mysis so I'm just hoping she doesn't get picky again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Mr. Microscope

From DFS:

Screenshot2014-06-30at94423PM_zps42fdbc8

From Nutramar:

Screenshot2014-06-30at94454PM_zps21dafb0

Hopefully this'll be back on the shelves soon. I want to give it a shot.

i still have half a pack in my freezer...mostly freezer burnt. started using it again when I got a shy firefish and after 2 weeks, the firefish comes out as soon as i get home thinking it's feeding time.

I figure it will be back eventually unless the shrimp plan on going extinct but who knows when... maybe not till next year.

Great food to get new fish eating. In the mean time, I ordered a pack of Rod's and a pack of Rogger's to try. Ova is so much cheaper though :P

I spoke to Nutramar Ova folks today. The guy was chatty but did not have a lot of information. He did not mention any disease being responsible for the shortage but rather the weather. The company they buy from is in asia, the prawns these eggs are harvested from are from one specific region. Further they have to be harvested at the right time. The supplier told them the next life cycle should yield some product. when that might be is a guess but they are hoping by the end of the year. :eek:

There has to be a comparable product out there somewhere.

I spoke to Nutramar Ova folks today. The guy was chatty but did not have a lot of information. He did not mention any disease being responsible for the shortage but rather the weather. The company they buy from is in asia, the prawns these eggs are harvested from are from one specific region. Further they have to be harvested at the right time. The supplier told them the next life cycle should yield some product. when that might be is a guess but they are hoping by the end of the year. :eek:

I think you used Caviar Max, I'm guessing that doesn't get the same feeding response?

and off-topic, what size golden pearls do you feed?

I've used caviar max, reef nutrition R.O.E, and also Dr G's LPS max which has fish eggs and copepods along with brine and mysis.

5-50 micron golden pears. it's pretty much a powder.

Isn't Tobiko dyed? If you can find some without dye I'm sure it would be an okay alternative. I personally feed Reef Nutrition R.O.E, which is pretty similar to ova maybe a bit fattier. I freeze it so it will last for much longer than in the bottle.

• 2 weeks later...
nanoreefnate

There is a comparable product but it might also not be in supply. Baja Reef (one of the shops I work at) used to have unlabeled prawn roe packaged in the same way as Nutramar Ova. I have no clue where it came from or how we obtained it but Yoshii might have more info on this matter. I too am still looking for Ova. Thankfully my Tisbe pod cultures are keeping my two mandarins feed for the time being. I'm going onto week 62 captivity for my male mandarin!

Jason's Tank

I guess I got lucky and was able to find some of this at a local fish store last week in Glen Ellyn Illinois. This was probably close to the 100th store I called across the US. I had a friend to lives an hour away from it or so go pick it up and mail it to me in Pittsburgh since after a week the guy who runs the place hadn't confirmed how i could pay for it and ship it to me tho he said he was willing. I bought as much as he would sell me which was 7 packs at much higher price than it normally sells for, he said he had the other packs reserved for other people. I am going to try to get my Mandarin to start eating this stuff, he has just been eating pods for 8 months but he is looking slightly of the small size. I tried a product called coral feast ova which i found on ebay but my mandy didn't take to it from what i saw. It supposedly has prawn eggs, urchin eggs and decap brine shrimp eggs. Maybe if your mandarin already eats nutramar it would take to this however mine did not.

I guess I got lucky and was able to find some of this at a local fish store last week in Glen Ellyn Illinois. This was probably close to the 100th store I called across the US. I had a friend to lives an hour away from it or so go pick it up and mail it to me in Pittsburgh since after a week the guy who runs the place hadn't confirmed how i could pay for it and ship it to me tho he said he was willing. I bought as much as he would sell me which was 7 packs at much higher price than it normally sells for, he said he had the other packs reserved for other people. I am going to try to get my Mandarin to start eating this stuff, he has just been eating pods for 8 months but he is looking slightly of the small size. I tried a product called coral feast ova which i found on ebay but my mandy didn't take to it from what i saw. It supposedly has prawn eggs, urchin eggs and decap brine shrimp eggs. Maybe if your mandarin already eats nutramar it would take to this however mine did not.

If he doesn't like I'll buy the NO from you. :flower:

Archived