Innovative Marine Aquariums

I want your dead fish

Markushka

ballengee_hudson_skate.jpg

I want to get one of these

Once it warms up there is a good chance of both skates and dogfish coming your way, and a good possibility of oyster toad fish, ranging from pinky sized all the way up to behemoth-"holy-crap-what-is-that" sized if you would still be looking.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once it warms up there is a good chance of both skates and dogfish coming your way, and a good possibility of oyster toad fish, ranging from pinky sized all the way up to behemoth-"holy-crap-what-is-that" sized if you would still be looking.

That would be totally awesome! Just shoot me a PM. Size isn't an issue, tho we have been working mostly with smaller stuff. Its a lot easier and faster, and I'm not sure we have vials that could fit a whole skate atm.

So it is virtually x-ray fluid after everything is said and done. Pretty cool, especially that first picture.

Thanks, we just ordered a light box and full set up to take pictures that are just as cool, but for now, you'll have to just get my crappy cell phone shots.

IMG_20140123_132958_868.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The specimens, will they only work if frozen? What if I have a few that have been in rubbing alcohol for a time for 6 months to 9 years? If either would work, I have a few older fish and 1 hatchling painted turtle that died within an hour of exiting the egg shell. Been in alcohol for a few months now.

PM if interested!

That's an awesome and appropriate avatar.

The end goal of this project is to offer a better means of preserving and displaying specimens for education. We are working on perfecting a technique so we can not only prepare specimens for schools but also to the hobbyist market and make the technique available to the masses. Every animal we get to work on brings us closer to the goal of bringing all of this back to you guys.

Rather than throwing a prize animal away, a few days could turn it into a priceless and immortal display that shows aspects previously invisible to the naked eye.

• 2 months later...

:teaser: Tomorrow is an exciting day for us.. After months of working on our method, we've got it down. stay tuned for details and pics :D

Crap, I am so mad at myself right now. One of my fish died and I forgot about this. It was a fang blenny too and would have looked super sweet :furious:

sorry to disappoint, today wasn't as awesome as it could have been. We've prepared a kickstarter, and it was supposed to launch, but there is a review process. Stay tuned for more details, also soon to come, pictures of our latest work, and a foray into clearing big fish! trout seasons starting up, and we've got a freezer packed full with pet store victims, and other donations (including a stingray!!!!) amongst other things that our taxidermist has gotten for us... next few months should be pretty awesome.

Crap, I am so mad at myself right now. One of my fish died and I forgot about this. It was a fang blenny too and would have looked super sweet :furious:

gotta keep this thread at the top of the forum... lol sucks about your fish tho :( I still have all mine that I lost during sandy a couple years ago. Haven't had fish either, just coral since.

Hot PINK!

aag26e.jpg

better pic of the first mouse

2hr34fq.jpg

In the works:

161mfs7.jpg

This is what 80% sucrose does...

2d6wdv5.jpg

as you can see, this competitors method, looks cool, but doesn't work so well...

Purple possum skull

b541zb.jpg

We have lots more to actually take pictures of...

6sqptv.jpg

this is soo F**king cool!! Will be following this thread. Super excited to see the (in my opinion) pieces of art you create!

We need to figure out how to get better pictures, the curved glass of the vials isn't conducive to this. I also want them to start taking pictures of some of the more awesome mice I've made since ironing out all the kinks in the methods. But, can't have everything I want, huh? Just going to have to do it myself, eh Baccus?

In some good news, we've teamed up with a local taxidermist, and are pending approval of our kickstarter in an effort to actually focus more on the art, and bring this to a wider audience.

Mark! Time flies. Great to see you involved in such a project. Hope all is well. Following...

Have you tried this on insects, specifically underwater insects in larvae and nymph stages. We collect insects and jar them. We use the specimens so we can mimic them when we tie flies/lures for fly fishing.

PS Yes, still have a fish tank

-Mike

Really cool... have you gotten a snake yet?

We have a small ball python in the works. It should be done soon. Also have two frogs in the works.

Mark! Time flies. Great to see you involved in such a project. Hope all is well. Following... Have you tried this on insects, specifically underwater insects in larvae and nymph stages. We collect insects and jar them. We use the specimens so we can mimic them when we tie flies/lures for fly fishing. PS Yes, still have a fish tank -Mike

Hey Amay, Its good to see you on here. I've seen your tank thread, but I need to drop by again as it's been a while. As to insects, yes, we've used Visikol with drosophila, but nothing else recently. I do have some horse flies in the freezer that will be cleared soon. I shouldn't have any issues clearing them, staining on the other hand is a bit trickier.

We are really excited by all of the feedback and of course the people who have donated specimens. We are just about ready to start on the exotics and will have pictures posted as soon as they are done.

Thanks again for your support.

Oh My God!!! This Is Beyond Amazing!!! Hope To See Some Crazy Ones!!!

-Tamberav-I Finally Understand Your Avatar Now Lol

Archived