Top Shelf Aquatics

Ruester's 10G Reef Peace - The end is here.....

Ruester007

Hello All,
I have had many tanks over the years and like others on the forum I had to take a break while I finished my masters and various other excuses. I am so excited to be active in the hobby again.

SetUp
10 gallon standard
17 lbs of Live Rock
3" of Native Sand with goodies
MP10 w - I love this thing
Hydor Koralia 425
AccuTherm 75w
Aqueon Quiet Flow10
AquaticLife 115 Skimmer worst mistake yet. I will be going back to the CPR I had in years past.
ReefBreeder Value LED with 120 degree optics has shipped. arrived.

Live Stock
Blue Damsel
Yellow Tail Damsel
various crabs
various snails
Peppermint shrimp - 2
Electric Flame Scallop - no one needs to say anything.....
hitch hicker 'shroom

The attached pictures are after the tank has been running for a few months, still waiting to get my Reefbreeder LED. Once that I arrives I can slowly begin to add goodies.

Thank you all in advance for the wealth of knowledge available here.

Cheers,
David

post-42293-0-68412700-1383497245_thumb.jpg

post-42293-0-73002300-1383497272_thumb.jpg

post-42293-0-46996100-1383497286_thumb.jpg

post-42293-0-62077200-1383497304_thumb.jpg

post-42293-0-72242600-1383497317_thumb.jpg

Brittle Star

Yellow Polyp

I have been slowly adding bio load. Unfortunately, my car was broken into and my DSLR was stolen so all I can get for now are these cell phone pictures.

My Reefbreeders value LED arrived earlier this week and I must say that I am more than impressed. Keep in mind that my last reef light was a DIY fluorescent from 10 years ago so my point of reference was slightly outdated. The coverage/intensity is fantastic, so much so that I am only running one channel at 25% right now. I will do a proper write up/review shortly.
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been slowly adding bio load. Unfortunately, my car was broken into and my DSLR was stolen so all I can get for now are these cell phone pictures.

My Reefbreeders value LED arrived earlier this week and I must say that I am more than impressed. Keep in mind that my last reef light was a DIY fluorescent from 10 years ago so my point of reference was slightly outdated. The coverage/intensity is fantastic, so much so that I am only running one channel at 25% right now. I will do a proper write up/review shortly.

Hi David, just a quick question: what are those yellow polyps in your pictures? I have spotted something very similar popping up in our tank, ours are red however. Thanks

~ Hester

• 2 weeks later...
Side elevation

20131206 091632

Front elevation

20131206 084351

Side elevation

20131206 091724

need ID help

20131206 164104

Duncan

20131206 091514

Trumpet

20131206 091453

need ID help

20131206 084230

Halimeda

Macro

Zoa - no ID

Zoa

Ric

Ric

Ric

Ric

Zoa - no ID

Zoa

My best sand sifter!

electric flame scallop

Keep an eye on that scallop, they can easily starve in our tanks very quick. Tank looks good, reminds me of when I started in a 10 gallon. I even had a very similar scape. :D

Hate that your car was broken in to. That happened to me a couple years ago and I ended up having to drive home in <10 degree weather with no window.

Keep an eye on that scallop, they can easily starve in our tanks very quick. Tank looks good, reminds me of when I started in a 10 gallon. I even had a very similar scape. :D

Hate that your car was broken in to. That happened to me a couple years ago and I ended up having to drive home in <10 degree weather with no window.

The scallops are involved to say the least. I have kept them before, both successfully and unsuccessfully in the past. The most important piece to the EFS puzzle is to have a sandy/mudy bottom. Target feeding is only mildly usefull. Most particles that you will "feed" them are to large and the pieces can rot causing the EFS to die quickly. There seems to need to be an "egg bloom" producing organism around to feed the EFS. I am experimenting with with naturally collected sand to provide the micro organisms/eggs for the scallop. We'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

The first coral u needed id on is a chalice of some sort. Tank is doing well! Did you switch cameras? The second round of pics are very nice!

The first coral u needed id on is a chalice of some sort. Tank is doing well! Did you switch cameras? The second round of pics are very nice!

Great, thanks.

I picked up a Canon T3. It will do for now.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a sweet looking aquarium. 10g's always seem to look bigger than they are in pictures lol.

Thanks, I have enjoyed the 10g so much more than my previous 20g.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using my MP10 for just under a month and this thing is awesome. The random flow has done wonders on my tank and I will never go pack.

Since tomorrow will be a snow day, I am thinking about setting up a time lapse of the 'wake up' period of the tank in the morning. Anyone one using a TI-86 to set up the time lapse?

• 2 weeks later...

My Electric Flame Scallop is continuing to grow and do extremely well.

EFS_zps964d5597.jpg

The GSP is really filling in nicely and the color is super vibrant.

GSP_zps0d6b566d.jpg

This little frag has been doing well. I wish I could say the same for the zoas, I have a case of pox that I am fighting right now.

frag_zpsecd2bcb8.jpg

I like the Black and White shots. The textures of the corals show up in a very different way.

GSP-BW_zps755d6409.jpg

How long you had flame in your tank? Just curious as I also have a scallop with some weird white coloration for several months and it is doing ok so far. I use miracle mud in fuge section of my 8g aio tank.

Archived