Cultivated Reef

Shallow Frag Tank - a DIY adventure - New Scape & Pics! Pg 4

RnMB1988

Anyhow! Back to the tank! Any livestocking plans for it? Fish? What kind of frags you going to do in here, or is it gonna be a mix?

Actually, I am going to use it to grow out frags from my main display tank (Cardiff). It looks like it will cycle just in time for me to cut back some very nice waving hands that are growing like freeking weeds!!! Then I have a huge green dragon eye zoa colony that I can get some frags from quickly also. I don't know if I will put any fish in it, but I have an emerald crab to go in and I will get a couple of snails. I know it sounds boring but that is about all I can muster at this point.

I have some good recent FTS shots of the my Cardiff thread, the link is in my signature.

Have you figured out what your doing with your fugue yet?

My 2 cents worth is leave it as a fugue and grow out your macro's and pods.......... :D

Is that a brass fitting on the pump????????

Otherwise looks pretty sweet, lil small for that flag tho don't ya think? LOL

Yes it is a brass fitting, I am looking for a nylon one, but I that is all I could find to start with. Do you think it will cause a big problem ??

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes it is a brass fitting, I am looking for a nylon one, but I that is all I could find to start with. Do you think it will cause a big problem??

I really have no idea as I've never used one even temporarily, but I have always heard they were bad and should be avoided...... Should be able to find something in PVC, what kind of end does the pump have...... worst case maybe take a threaded cap or plug in the needed size bore a hole to fit around the pumps output and secure it. :wacko:

I really have no idea as I've never used one even temporarily, but I have always heard they were bad and should be avoided...... Should be able to find something in PVC, what kind of end does the pump have...... worst case maybe take a threaded cap or plug in the needed size bore a hole to fit around the pumps output and secure it. :wacko:

Well I just did a quick Google search and your right, its a problem.. shoot,,crap!!! Guess I have to get on the ball tomorrow....good eye and thanks!!!

Well I just did a quick Google search and your right, its a problem.. shoot,,crap!!! Guess I have to get on the ball tomorrow....good eye and thanks!!!

No problem man, I can't take all the credit I probably wouldn't have even looked if someone didn't say something about the pump looking beastly...... I don't think it should be a huge deal at this point, probably run some carbon and do a water change it probably hasn't done much real lasting damage this quickly I wouldn't think.

Ok, so just a standard frag tank. Why not just eggcrate? Of course I think this looks tons better than something like that but still! ;)

So far the fuge has Live Rock, a hitchhiker red shroom which lived through the cycle and a bunch of chaeto. It also has a few snails. It may eventually have a rock nem or three and more macros. I already see some pods around but not a ton. I may seed it with some later.

Yes! Get rid of the brass! Bad things! :( Nice pickup, Chris! I definitely didn't notice.

Alright man, sorry I didn't catch this before but I got some more bad news on the plumbing scene...............

22A0ABF9-47AC-470D-A0F7-3BDF64E76F69-911

Far right top above the unionvalve....... is that a check valve from lowes/hd..... if so scrap that piece it has a metal spring inside it and not only will it fail, it will break down and rust.................. no good.

Alright man, sorry I didn't catch this before but I got some more bad news on the plumbing scene...............

Far right top above the unionvalve....... is that a check valve from lowes/hd..... if so scrap that piece it has a metal spring inside it and not only will it fail, it will break down and rust.................. no good.

Wow, great catch again!! I feel terrible Bob, i didn't notice the copper coupling and this check valve sooner my self. But he's absolutely dead on that valve man.

Luckily, you have two unions holding that entire middle section so atleast that whole returns not a loss :(

Wow, great catch again!! I feel terrible Bob, i didn't notice the copper coupling and this check valve sooner my self. But he's absolutely dead on that valve man.

Luckily, you have two unions holding that entire middle section so atleast that whole returns not a loss :(

I made the mistake of buying one of those check valves myself not to long ago, luckily I am like a little kid and was messing with it while waiting for my son to go to sleep so I could work on it and kept wondering why it had a metal springy noise to it (I mean those things are supposed to be made for water lines.... waste tho, not drinking) so I didn't really think about it myself until after the fact.... looked it up sure as shit, metal spring valve. The good ones are like 15-50 bucks online, but they aren't really needed just keep the return line higher in the tank so it doesn't backflow to much when you shut the pump off or lose power ;)

OK, well thanks guys!! I would rather find out now than wonder what is killing my corals later. I will fix this tomorrow for sure, even if it means no check valve temporarily!

I should have taken a lesson form Ziareefer....... mad0235.gif --->> Do not skimp on the HARDWARE!!!!!!! <-- READ AND HEED!!!!

OK, well thanks guys!! I would rather find out now than wonder what is killing my corals later. I will fix this tomorrow for sure, even if it means no check valve temporarily!

I should have taken a lesson form Ziareefer....... mad0235.gif --->> Do not skimp on the HARDWARE!!!!!!! <-- READ AND HEED!!!!

The check valve really isn't needed, theres probably millions of reefs that run fine without them. ;) You just have to position the end of the return line near or even slightly above the surface of the water and you will have a very minimal amount of water flowing back into the sump which shouldn't be an issue.

Was the title of this thread supposed to be "a DIY adventure"? If not, what is DYI?

Truth!

Hey dude, i think i have a left over one we never used when we redid mine. For some reason, im remembering a extra one?

If i get in the mail tomorrow, you'll have it Friday.

Was the title of this thread supposed to be "a DIY adventure"? If not, what is DYI?

DAMN.....LOL.......you guys are KILLING me!!! ROFLMAO......yes it is supposed to be a DO It Yourself Adventure.......

Anyone care to help me with how to change the title???

The check valve really isn't needed, theres probably millions of reefs that run fine without them. ;) You just have to position the end of the return line near or even slightly above the surface of the water and you will have a very minimal amount of water flowing back into the sump which shouldn't be an issue.

OK, great advise, It will help me the it done that much sooner and easer...!!! Thank you!!

Truth!

Hey dude, i think i have a left over one we never used when we redid mine. For some reason, im remembering a extra one?

If i get in the mail tomorrow, you'll have it Friday.

Zia, Thanks... I will send you my address in a PM...but if you don't have one don't sweat it....I think what Chris said is doable since I don't have a long run of plumbing and I can make the outlet at or above the water line like he suggested., plus you have helped me out a TON by giving me the the tank and the skimmer.... :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

OK, great advise, It will help me the it done that much sooner and easer...!!! Thank you!

Yeah shouldn't be to hard to do. You can also drill a small hole (I wanna say 1/4" but I think you can go smaller and be fine too) above the water surface and inside the tank to break the siphon as well if for some reason you can't put the end of the return line near the surface of the water. You will have some backflow, but shouldn't be anything your sump can't handle ;)

I posted this in my Cardiff thread - I need some help.

My Rising Sun Cycloseris is acting weird, its mouth is WIDE open and has been for several days. I have not seen this before and I am moderately worried. I have checked all my water parameters and all are spot on, PH is 8.4, zero ammonia, no2 and no3, salinity is 1.025. I do a 5 to 8 gallon water change every week on a 24 gallon tank, and I make sure the temp is the same as well as salinity, I use RO water and mix my salt from 4 to 8 hours before it is used. I fed it about 3 weeks ago, a small dried shrimp that I let re hydrate for about 30 min before I fed it, I placed the shrimp in its tentacles and watched as it moved it up into its mouth. It expelled the shrimp about a week later (I am guessing here, but I did watch it as it puked out the remains.

Anyone have any words of wisdom???

Thanks for the replies, I have made my fix.

Yeah shouldn't be to hard to do. You can also drill a small hole (I wanna say 1/4" but I think you can go smaller and be fine too) above the water surface and inside the tank to break the siphon as well if for some reason you can't put the end of the return line near the surface of the water. You will have some backflow, but shouldn't be anything your sump can't handle ;)

I will try that.

I posted this in my Cardiff thread - I need some help.

My Rising Sun Cycloseris is acting weird, its mouth is WIDE open and has been for several days. I have not seen this before and I am moderately worried. I have checked all my water parameters and all are spot on, PH is 8.4, zero ammonia, no2 and no3, salinity is 1.025. I do a 5 to 8 gallon water change every week on a 24 gallon tank, and I make sure the temp is the same as well as salinity, I use RO water and mix my salt from 4 to 8 hours before it is used. I fed it about 3 weeks ago, a small dried shrimp that I let re hydrate for about 30 min before I fed it, I placed the shrimp in its tentacles and watched as it moved it up into its mouth. It expelled the shrimp about a week later (I am guessing here, but I did watch it as it puked out the remains.

Anyone have any words of wisdom???

Thanks for the replies, I have made my fix.

Maybe try feeding it something else, mysis, or even pellets are usually pretty decent LPS foods. I would guess that the shrimp ate "the insides" and spit out the shell.... Also, I like to feed my LPS atleast every week or atleast every other week so at 3 weeks I would think it is hungry.

Is there any skeleton showing or damage to the skin around the mouth or is it just open??

Also, as far as drilling that hole, place it slightly above the water facing downward inside the tank so your not shooting water at yourself or out of the tank.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for not posting an update sooner, I have been lazy....

I replaced all bad in the sump and the plumbing, no more brass , replaced with a nylon reducer found at Tractor Supply. The valve was just replaced with pipe, and I adjusted the height of the lock line in the tanks so when the water hits the bottom of the overflow to the sump, it also hits the inlet and all water to the sump stops. It actually worked out well, with all the transient water in the sump I still have about 2" of space remaining.

My plate coral is withering away, I can't stop it. I did a dip and moved it to lower flow and lass light......part of the bobbie I guess. I have read a lot about them and almost everyone says to leave it in the tank it may sprout again in a few months, so I will keep it in there.

As for my rock scape, there isn't one, its just thrown in for the most part. I did place some very aged live rock frags from my Cardiff refugium in over this last weekend. Checked the water for ammonia, narrate & nitrite and all were zero. I have been putting 5 gallons of my Cardiff tank water in as a water change to try and help age it, it seems to have worked, but I am not going to throw a bunch of stuff in there just yet.....slow.....thats the word for this one.

On the cool side, when I went to get the rock from my refugium I found I hide a lot of nice Dragons Breath in there. Zia gave me a piece several months ago and I threw a few pieces in there and they grew like weeds!! NICE!! So I glued a few to some rock and tossed them into the frag tank.

Pics.......Yes... I have one or two!

DSC00708_zps64bff1f3.jpg

DSC00707_zpsbce7dec0.jpg

DSC00706_zps1f6e7b9d.jpg

DSC00710_zpsa0717bce.jpg

DSC00709_zps73190acc.jpg

:D

Wow, that was a fast cycle. Looks good in there man! Thats awesome the macros are doing well for you. they certainly add some POP in terms of color. I also see a nice chunk of Red Dragon in there.

Love how you matched the bondage gear to the color of the shroom, nice touch :D

Seeing that plate all beat up like that is painful, sorry brotha. I know that was one of your favorite pieces. But yea, dont toss it if it dies on you. Fungias are notorious for being able to spit lots of new behbe plates off the skeleton. That would bad A** if that one did that for you!

Good job on getting our plumbing all fixed up, sorry i didn't get back atcha on that valve. I didnt have one. But if your down this way again, i have lots of new API test kits your welcome to.

• 3 weeks later...

HIJACK!!!!

With all this Frag Tank build and the Cardiif maturing like crazy, my wife got a touch of the bug, she wanted to upgrade her little Beta bowl, so being the enabler I am, and seeing a chance add another tank....I mean help someone get into the hobby....

I got her a little 10 gallon set up.......

Here is what her Beta (aka Bob) was living in

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/rcgliderguy/media/Shallow%20Nano%20Reef/6EF5F7D3-23E9-4AC7-B911-AD3B3F9CCD5B_zpsrx5yh80l.jpg.html'>6EF5F7D3-23E9-4AC7-B911-AD3B3F9CCD5B_zps

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/rcgliderguy/media/Shallow%20Nano%20Reef/F87CF3D3-077D-4AA8-BA36-EA38CE7E9FE6_zpshgbdt6dm.jpg.html'>F87CF3D3-077D-4AA8-BA36-EA38CE7E9FE6_zps

Here is the 10 gal bare

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/rcgliderguy/media/Shallow%20Nano%20Reef/ECD147DF-48F7-4836-8427-FB00D1D480C1_zpstsgfrnpq.jpg.html'>ECD147DF-48F7-4836-8427-FB00D1D480C1_zps

This is what she came up with.

It has all live plants, some Mopani wood, LED lighting, She added 14 neon tetras and of course...Bob!

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/rcgliderguy/media/Shallow%20Nano%20Reef/145ECA32-694A-4C62-80D0-E06A2A63FB04_zpsuyk763fi.jpg.html'>145ECA32-694A-4C62-80D0-E06A2A63FB04_zps

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/rcgliderguy/media/Shallow%20Nano%20Reef/CC13F084-64FE-4A1B-898B-DF53D39A502F_zpsa9qkh3eu.jpg.html'>CC13F084-64FE-4A1B-898B-DF53D39A502F_zps

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/rcgliderguy/media/Shallow%20Nano%20Reef/0F087E4A-51E4-45D9-A28A-089AB069F20B_zpsig6dps7d.jpg.html'>0F087E4A-51E4-45D9-A28A-089AB069F20B_zps

I helped a little of course, but I am very proud of what she did, Bob is in Beta heaven!

Like Extreme Home Makeover 'Fish Edition' rolled through! Bob just got hooked up. Between the live plants and LED uplighting, he should be happy for years to come :D

Thanks again for the bad a** torch. My new favorite piece of kandy in my tank!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived