Progress.....

Time to do some plumbing.

8BC1A5D0-1F05-4C47-B548-0D493DAD5E90-911

DT is Display Tank :)

Sweet build!

Ah, Thanks!!

Hey, I have a 2nd page!! WOOT WOOT!!!

omgomgomg:happydance:omgomgomg:happydance::lockdown:

Sorry, Display tank. I was just wondering who made it?

I am not sure who made it. It was given to me by Ziareefer, he had no use for it once he got his new 60 gal cube. We should ask him or maybe he will chime in here.

Dang bro, im gone for a few days and BAM! Love all the progress, this builds almost a wrap!

Stand came out great. The plumbings epic! There's more quick disconnects down there, than some peoples 240g tanks :lol: Looks clean and professh. You'll probably already have, but you'll need to ad a piece of PVC stick to the underside of the return going into the sock, just below the waterline to reduce the noise. And don't glue that piece, obviously.

I am not sure who made it. It was given to me by Ziareefer, he had no use for it once he got his new 60 gal cube. We should ask him or maybe he will chime in here.

Sorry, Display tank. I was just wondering who made it?

Bought it new, off of eBay some time ago. Because it was acrylic and lightweight, it shipped well.

This is a diffrent seller but a similar tank. This's one a AIO and '' instead of 8'' but im sure he can build a reef ready version to your spec. But i would recommend 1/2'' minimum thickness.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acrylic-All-In-One-Aquarium-Frag-Tank-/271266278367?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f28baebdf

• 2 weeks later...

Its been a rough week, lots of things going on in my personal life that distracted me from this, but I think I can move forward again!

So tonight I have put everything together and filled the tank and sump with tap water to see if there are any leaks. After I tightened the loose QD's everything checked out ok with no leaks. so now its just run the wires for the pump, skimmer and light - make it as invisable as I can and fill with sand, rock and salt water!!

Check it out!!

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/rcgliderguy/media/DSC00667_zpsbae6158e.jpg.html'>DSC00667_zpsbae6158e.jpg

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/rcgliderguy/media/DSC00668_zpscd86404f.jpg.html'>DSC00668_zpscd86404f.jpg

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/rcgliderguy/media/DSC00669_zps146ebf11.jpg.html'>DSC00669_zps146ebf11.jpg

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/rcgliderguy/media/DSC00670_zps5577b9fc.jpg.html'>DSC00670_zps5577b9fc.jpg

I hope to have it cycling by the weekend.

Sweet!

It's a shame that most high schools don't even have a wood shop any more.

RIGHT you are, in fact that is where I learned most of my skills, just wish I had more equipment, I would build custom stands and furniture!!

Woa, great progress! You have a sump, skimmer, filter sock and killer plumbing all for a 12g display. Love how your rolling with this tank man! Even that return pump looks pretty serious. I bet you have to dial that bad boi way down? That light is rockin the sh!t out of that tank. What kind of light is that?

Now the goal is to do that flag justice and make the tank as colorful as it is!

Woa, great progress! You have a sump, skimmer, filter sock and killer plumbing all for a 12g display. Love how your rolling with this tank man! Even that return pump looks pretty serious. I bet you have to dial that bad boi way down? That light is rockin the sh!t out of that tank. What kind of light is that?

Now the goal is to do that flag justice and make the tank as colorful as it is!

The pump I got from Lowes, I have used there pond pumps for years, they are a real good bang for the buck. This one is a 320 GPH, yea its too much for this tank, but if/when I get a 20 X 20 X 24 it will be fine.

The light is the one that came with my Cardiff. I do not know what brand the light is, as there is no markings on it at all, but it is an aquarium light, it has 4 moon light LED's as well as the two Compact Florescent bulbs, each one is U shaped, one is 10K daylight the other is atenic each about 18 inches long. I am thinking of making a DYI adapter to hang the light for a little better dispersion.

The water has clewed up, and I have finished all the little loose ends, all that remains is to clean the water spots off the sides.

This is the view from my desk.

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/rcgliderguy/media/C666505C-CA9E-4173-B4B9-3B1CDA8F90E5-355-00000048BFA64E4D_zpsa47f70a3.jpg.html'>C666505C-CA9E-4173-B4B9-3B1CDA8F90E5-355

That light looks intense and is probably way overkill for a 8''h tank :lol: Especially being that it was adequate for a deep Cardiff display.

I like your idea to raise it. You shouldent need a upgrade though. it should grow anything in there nicely.

Whats the plan with liverock/scape? Is that the next step here?

I love those wire ducts and thought about using them but if you look close the only one that is loose is the light, I used zip tie anchors all across the back to secure everything as neatly as possible.... I will take a picture later.....just for you Travis..... :D:D:D

Looks nice! Love the flag also. I have one like it...it was my Uncles.

Hi, thanks for stopping in!

This flag has some history behind it, I just wish I would have written it down so I would not butcher the story. I got it from a lady off a local yard sale web site, It was her husband’s before he passed several years ago. I don’t remember all the details but it was acquired through Army channels during either Korea or Vietnam and has been flown over some very hostile places, It was not for sale, I was buying a desk from her, when I saw it in a box I commented how it needed to be displayed, she asked what i did for a living and a short conversation later it was mine, as a gift!

I know some folks in Air Force and if I ever get the chance I am going to have it flown in an aircraft over some place – Afghanistan or ……..??

Obviously yours has some history to it also, Care to share?

That light looks intense and is probably way overkill for a 8''h tank :lol: Especially being that it was adequate for a deep Cardiff display.

I like your idea to raise it. You shouldent need a upgrade though. it should grow anything in there nicely.

Whats the plan with liverock/scape? Is that the next step here?

Yup, Scape is the next step, not sure what its going to be, it was discussed a few posts ago and has not changed from that....yet :rolleyes:

Opps, must have missed that :lol: This thread has taken off lately and i didn't want to go back through the 1 page and catch up :P

Hey how do you fell about changing that outlet to a GFCI, incase of spillage or something.

Nice story with the flag. :) Mine was the flag draped over my Uncles casket. He served in Vietnam. Has a lot of meaning but not a story.

Opps, must have missed that :lol: This thread has taken off lately and i didn't want to go back through the 1 page and catch up :P

Hey how do you fell about changing that outlet to a GFCI, incase of spillage or something.

Yea, I can see my one page is a lot of reading compared your thread!!! sheesh........lol B)

I will have to look at that GFI outlet...... :rolleyes:

Nice story with the flag. :) Mine was the flag draped over my Uncles casket. He served in Vietnam. Has a lot of meaning but not a story.

I am sure there is a story behind his service in Vietnam. I will just say Thank you, to you and your family for his service! That was a very different time and a very different war from what is known today. I don't think there are many people who can fully grasp just how bad that one was.

salute_zps8c17572f.gif

I come from a military family. I've had family WW1, WW2, Korea and Vietnam. My mother was so happy when first Desert Storm happened as my Dad was just too old to re-enlist (He had been in Vietnam) and I was just too young to enlist. LOL They did sign papers so I could join when I was 17 though. :D

Anyhow! Back to the tank! Any livestocking plans for it? Fish? What kind of frags you going to do in here, or is it gonna be a mix?

I filled it with saltwater last night and this morning it was still running with zero drips!!!

DSC00704_zpsa0f75dba.jpg

DSC00705_zpsb64fe65c.jpg

Now i just have to wait for it to cycle.

Is that a brass fitting on the pump????????

Otherwise looks pretty sweet, lil small for that flag tho don't ya think? LOL

Archived