Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

100% more clams and inverts! ~ Isles of sticks

xzeror

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys! The hair algae is still there :/ other than getting some more nudis and manually removing im stumped.. Any more suggestions are appreciated.

In other news... I bought some gel filters from a fellow reefer on a page and used them with my cheap camera phone lenses and I'm pretty amazed at the quality of the pics.

Link for lens:

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Including-Motorola-Includes-Microfiber/dp/B00KW2CKY0/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1407868275&sr=8-11&keywords=camera+phone+lens

What do you guys think? Pics like this for under $15.

IMAG1758.jpg

IMAG1759.jpg

macro lens"

IMAG1760.jpg

IMAG1761.jpg

IMAG1767.jpg

IMAG1769.jpg

IMAG1770.jpg

IMAG1772.jpg

FTS:

IMAG1776_1.jpg

Beautiful acan garden! Sucks about the bryopsis though :angry: that stuff is a pain.

acan love!

nice tank!

Thanks guys! any thing else that would help getting rid of the bryopsis?

Mr. Microscope

Thanks guys! any thing else that would help getting rid of the bryopsis?

Lettuce nudis supposedly work. I've also read a bunch about a Tech-M treatment. Good luck.

That is my next purchase. I want acans! I was talked into a chalice this weekend, but I am still going to get one.

Are you using a macro lens or tube?

Great macro shots. Sounds like you're doing pretty much all there is to do about the bryopsis :( just gotta keep it up. Lessen the light period a little maybe?

figured out why some of my acans have been receding... Dkh: 5.6 looks like I'm going to start dosing, I dont think my weekly water changes can keep up with the amount of corals I have.

Reef crystal water: 8.6 dkh

Anyone have any tips, suggestions or links where I can begin to read up on dosing?

After 15 gallon water change params are:

7.6 dkh

460 ca

1400 mg

Going to test again at 9pm

What additives do you guys use?

Day two:

6.1 dkh

465 ca

Is it normal for alk to go down but ca stay the same? I thought everything was connected in some way? So would I just have to dose alk acording to these tests?

Day two:

6.1 dkh

465 ca

Is it normal for alk to go down but ca stay the same? I thought everything was connected in some way? So would I just have to dose alk acording to these tests?

Howdy,

you should update more. :)

Ignore calcium for now, it will only add to the confusion. Calcium drops at the correct rate, but it is usually below what a test kit can measure over a day of dropping. FOr now concentrate on keeping KH stable with a good two part solution, and whatever you use to stabalize alk use the same amount of the calcium part.

For example, if using C-Balance from TLF and you use a cap of part B for Alk then also use a cap of part A for calcium. Once Alk is stable then measure calcium and if it's way out of balance make a correction, otherwise just keep going with the equal part dosing and let water changes correct any small issues.

You will also want to test Magnesium to ake sure it's 1300+, otherwise you will have issues keeping Alk stable.

Howdy,

you should update more. :)

Ignore calcium for now, it will only add to the confusion. Calcium drops at the correct rate, but it is usually below what a test kit can measure over a day of dropping. FOr now concentrate on keeping KH stable with a good two part solution, and whatever you use to stabalize alk use the same amount of the calcium part.

For example, if using C-Balance from TLF and you use a cap of part B for Alk then also use a cap of part A for calcium. Once Alk is stable then measure calcium and if it's way out of balance make a correction, otherwise just keep going with the equal part dosing and let water changes correct any small issues.

You will also want to test Magnesium to ake sure it's 1300+, otherwise you will have issues keeping Alk stable.

Wow perfect! I actuay read your entire build and how you were dosing to balance your ph and stabalize your ph. You're actually one of my inspirations to get my tank stable.

Ill test mg again today and post the results. Is c balance what you use? Honestly I would use whatever you would recomend, and how long should I monitor my levels before starting to dose?

Thanks in advance mark!

Wow perfect! I actuay read your entire build and how you were dosing to balance your ph and stabalize your ph. You're actually one of my inspirations to get my tank stable.

Ill test mg again today and post the results. Is c balance what you use? Honestly I would use whatever you would recomend, and how long should I monitor my levels before starting to dose?

Thanks in advance mark!

I use C-Balance. I buy the gallon jugs 1/4 filled with concentrated solution, just add RO/DI to make a full gallon.

If you know your KH usage per day then you will know your daily dose.

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

This will also show you the balanced alk/calcium ratios but don't sweat that. I let calcium set itself and as long as it's between 400 and 475 and not rising or falling rapidly I call it good. :)

I use C-Balance. I buy the gallon jugs 1/4 filled with concentrated solution, just add RO/DI to make a full gallon.

This will also show you the balanced alk/calcium ratios but don't sweat that. I let calcium set itself and as long as it's between 400 and 475 and not rising or falling rapidly I call it good. :)

Alk has continued to drop while ca and mg stay relatively the same but the past few days I have been unable to test as I am currently in the hospital, hopefully my orders from BRS and Amazon should be home when I arrive :).

Hope my tanks will be okay under my fathers care.

• 4 weeks later...

Little Update: Still battling bryopsis, added a lawn mower blenny to help combat it and hes such an awesome little fish.

Dosing daily, started at 10mL and am now at 20ml a day. Really want to buy a doser now, but for now by hand it is.

I think I'm close to balancing my params.

Ive been maintaining dkh around 8.0.

This morning lights off.

Dkh:8

Ca:480

Mg:1520-1560 not too good at this test yet. (all test w red sea)

Ali ph: 7.8

I'm doing 10ml in the morning and at night. So 20ml a day. How does that look?

Some of my acans have been receding, this is the initial reason why I decided to dose. Could that be why? The alk swings? dipping into the low 5s? Or should I be looking at some sort of pest that affects acans?

Its only affecting some of my frags, my colonies remain the same.

Finally got the remaining pieces for my super cheap reactors... only downside is that the canister is not clear. We shall see how it goes, hopefully the GFO will help with the Bryopsis.

• 2 months later...

No love :(?

saw your post in t5 thread, did you end up adding t5's to your reefbreeders fixture?

I'm about to add 2xt5ho to mine and thought I'd see what bulbs you went with..

• 1 month later...

Havent updated this thread in so long...

Got tired of my old aquascape and went to town on it. Took me about 3 days to finally be happy with the rocks. Chiseled a few of my rocks, moved some rocks to the sump and vice versa. Popped a lot of corals off their plugs and off the rock, and did a complete makeover on my tank.

End result... Let me know what you guys think.

2015-01-29%2013.22.50.jpg

2015-01-29%2009.49.46.jpg

2015-01-29%2009.59.07.jpg

2015-01-29%2009.57.42.jpg

Show me your PE!

2015-01-29%2010.01.10.jpg

Few frags I got from Morgan :)

goldrush millie cant wait for it to color up that bright yellow

20150120_152346.jpg

Red planet

20150120_152419.jpg

Blueberry Limeade

20150120_152443.jpg

Red Dragon

20150120_152500.jpg

saw your post in t5 thread, did you end up adding t5's to your reefbreeders fixture?

I'm about to add 2xt5ho to mine and thought I'd see what bulbs you went with..

I ended up getting a deal on a photon 32 w burnt leds. Waiting for my replacement board from reefbreeder. At this point I dont think ill be adding t5s to supplement unless I get a larger (wider) tank. If I do I think I would do 2 blue + or 1 b+ and 1 aquablue special. Or just two actinics.

I ended up getting a deal on a photon 32 w burnt leds. Waiting for my replacement board from reefbreeder. At this point I dont think ill be adding t5s to supplement unless I get a larger (wider) tank. If I do I think I would do 2 blue + or 1 b+ and 1 aquablue special. Or just two actinics.

I went ahead and added them and couldn't be happier

that bta is nice..

I went ahead and added them and couldn't be happier

that bta is nice..

i

Which bulbs did you run? Did it chnage the look of the tank?

i

Which bulbs did you run? Did it chnage the look of the tank?

coral+, I absolutely love the addition of t5's, and yes, I think it shows colors I never saw under led alone.. or maybe it's placebo, idk, I just know I prefer the combo. I also removed the optics a few weeks before adding the t5's.

16096647352_d1854716c4_z.jpg

Archived