ReefCleaners.org

Super excited - Ordered Nano Package from Gulf Live Rock

chicagoreef

chicagoreef

Super excited!

I'm upgrading from my 6 gallon Edge to a 35 gallon AIO. I started the cycle over three weeks ago with some new live sand, some transferred live sand, some transferred live rock, and a chunk of BRS Pukani that I didn't use the first time. On week ago I added three largish corals I bought from craigslist which were sitting on decent sized chunks of live rock. The tank now has about 10-15 pounds of rock and a few days ago I added two clown fish, more live rock, a peppermint shrimp, and some snails. The tank is currently going through a diatom bloom and the parameters all looked good before and after the last additions.

For my initial tank I used BRS Pukani + a small amount of live rock from a LFS + a little aqua clear hang on the back filter with some floss. This time I have some Intank poly filter floss, chemipure elite, a skimmer, and also a chaeto fuge set up in the rear chambers.

Weather is surprisingly cool in Chicago this week so I ordered the Gulf Live Rock 17 pound nano package - thanks to name dropping Metrokat, Dan sent some medium sized rocks in addition to the package's standard fist and double-fist sized rocks he normally sends.

The plan was to create a decent amount of biological filter in the tank prior to adding the uncured live rock - and hopefully the bacteria already in the tank will be able to tackle the decaying stuff on the new rocks. I'm still wondering about "curing" the new rock for a day or two in a bucket to try and see if I can catch any less than desirable hitch hikers vs just washing the rocks a bit in salt water and adding them into the tank where the filtration is much better than in a bucket. I spent some time last night looking at mantis/crab traps - its funny that some people like myself live in fear of the mantis shrimp, while others spend $50 to buy one.

Will post pictures when the rock arrives tomorrow.

chicagoreef

Jade - what was your experience with the less desirable hitch hikers? I see you have a mantis tank - was that a hitch hiker from your live rocks?

Their rocks are killer! Got some for my first tank...prob wouldn't order cured ever again.

Oh no no no. My mantis tank is awaiting mantis...it's ordered lol completely wanted.

Um only issue I have is this damn aiptasia that will not die....but I suck at getting aiptasia x where I want it to go. So basically I just end up burning off the tops lol.

I actually got some nice red sponges, yellow sponges, halimeda, dragons breathe, potties (best typo ever I'm leaving that lol....um PORITES) , and a Caribbean rose coral that's kick ass. When you get yours, just hope you get a rose. They are so gorgeous.

Oh and a couple filter clams. Forgot about them.

Really cool, I have been thinking about getting the nano package just because getting weird things sounds fun.

Super excited!

I'm upgrading from my 6 gallon Edge to a 35 gallon AIO. I started the cycle over three weeks ago with some new live sand, some transferred live sand, some transferred live rock, and a chunk of BRS Pukani that I didn't use the first time. On week ago I added three largish corals I bought from craigslist which were sitting on decent sized chunks of live rock. The tank now has about 10-15 pounds of rock and a few days ago I added two clown fish, more live rock, a peppermint shrimp, and some snails. The tank is currently going through a diatom bloom and the parameters all looked good before and after the last additions.

For my initial tank I used BRS Pukani + a small amount of live rock from a LFS + a little aqua clear hang on the back filter with some floss. This time I have some Intank poly filter floss, chemipure elite, a skimmer, and also a chaeto fuge set up in the rear chambers.

Weather is surprisingly cool in Chicago this week so I ordered the Gulf Live Rock 17 pound nano package - thanks to name dropping Metrokat, Dan sent some medium sized rocks in addition to the package's standard fist and double-fist sized rocks he normally sends.

The plan was to create a decent amount of biological filter in the tank prior to adding the uncured live rock - and hopefully the bacteria already in the tank will be able to tackle the decaying stuff on the new rocks. I'm still wondering about "curing" the new rock for a day or two in a bucket to try and see if I can catch any less than desirable hitch hikers vs just washing the rocks a bit in salt water and adding them into the tank where the filtration is much better than in a bucket. I spent some time last night looking at mantis/crab traps - its funny that some people like myself live in fear of the mantis shrimp, while others spend $50 to buy one.

Will post pictures when the rock arrives tomorrow.

You would be lucky to find a mantis shrimp imo! Then you have a good excuse to set up another nano.. they are amazing critters.

chicagoreef

The rocks arrived! I ordered on Tuesday night and the rocks were shipped out on Wednesday and I found them in my building's lobby at 2pm CST on Friday. I just finished putting everything in the tank and took photos of the rocks in the tank, but let me start with some box and unboxing photos.

The nano pricing is probably based on how much rock can fit in a USPS large box - shipping was $15.30 of the $80 price. Assuming there was about 17 pounds of rock in the box - the box was packed with rock - like a jig saw puzzle so if you were to shake the box, nothing would move, that works out to be just $3.80/lb + shipping. Not too shabby. Not too shabby.

The box was dry and securely taped. The box seemed in very good shape, much better shape than most packages I receive. Inside was a "liner" of some sort and the rocks were all in a big plastic bag and then invidually wrapped in damp paper towels. No funny smells - no real smell at all. I gave up on grand plans to cure these rocks in a bucket and just used some tank water to rinse each rock prior to placing them somewhere in the tank. I also added half a cap of Prime that I had sitting around, based on the recent discussions on the Soft Cycle thread. Washed off some debris and even a worm. Good assortment of rocks of all sizes - I have no idea yet of how to place these - I had some ideas, but the actual rocks should dictate the aquascape. There were some fist sized and shaped rocks, some flat rocks, some rocks with holes in them, some slightly bigger rocks and some smaller rocks. The package filled the floor of my tank - I even put a smaller rock on a frag rack.

I'll upload some tank and rock photos later today.

post-79259-0-19868800-1375472433_thumb.jpg

post-79259-0-87799300-1375472440_thumb.jpg

post-79259-0-58354500-1375472448_thumb.jpg

chicagoreef

I should finish up my work - but here are some more photos.

* What is this branchy thing? A gorgonian?

* This worm was crawling around the inside of the box

* A shot of one of the rocks in my tank

post-79259-0-89407200-1375476381_thumb.jpg

post-79259-0-67508300-1375476393_thumb.jpg

post-79259-0-86873200-1375476400_thumb.jpg

Gorgeous rock. Looks like a dead guy to me. Worm...good guy keep him if you haven't killed him. Lol

LOVE that orange. Halimeda will prob die, but it'll be back in a few months not to worry :)

I purchased the nano pack for my first Biocube, pics in my sig.

I love it and it didn't have much die off I rinsed it in a bucket of SW and started the cycle and the Ann barley popped up then was gone, cycled within the week.

My best HH was a tiny little mantis, I have a short video in my thread.

Also had a few corals and sponges with a but load of good vegetation.

Good luck and post pics of everything.

chicagoreef

I just got back from dinner - about 6 to 7 hours after putting in the rocks. Ammonia has increased from 0 to .5. Nitrites and Nitrates still at 0 to low levels. My two clown fish checking out the rocks and vegetation.

And three more rock pictures.

post-79259-0-05465500-1375499037_thumb.jpg

post-79259-0-52205600-1375499042_thumb.jpg

post-79259-0-66521700-1375499050_thumb.jpg

Whoa! Wait hold up! You have fish and a bta in there? I would've cycled the rock somewhere else. Especially since your ammonia jumped that much in six hours...

Branchy is A gorg maybe? Idk.

chicagoreef

Whoa! Wait hold up! You have fish and a bta in there? I would've cycled the rock somewhere else. Especially since your ammonia jumped that much in six hours...

Branchy is A gorg maybe? Idk.

I don't know if I can catch the clownfish, but would you recommend I move the RBTA over to my 6 gallon until ammonia drops back to 0?

I would if you don't want it to suffer in the ammonia.... The fish will be burned if you don't move them over..

chicagoreef

Moved the two clown fish over to the other tank. I noticed they were swimming near the surface of the tank with the new rocks - so it was easy to scoop them out. I am not sure how to get the RBTA out - its on a rock that won't fit through the fluval edge opening.

I would if you don't want it to suffer in the ammonia.... The fish will be burned if you don't move them over..

Archived