Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Cadlights PLS-50 Nano Pipeless skimmer

digedgeReef20

digedgeReef20

Mine is now skimming great also, just a little finicky, Be prepared to screw around allot till you get it dialed. But skims incredible when you hit the sweet spot :) I have mine running at a water level 6 inchs from bottom of pump. I may try mine a little higher, reading Trons threads.
Great Info!!!
http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/286110-southreef/page-150

I will post some pics when i get more caca, Just did my maintenance....

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's just awesome! My Tunze is working great.. But if I ever changed out would this skimmer fit in my Aquafuge where my Tunze currently resides? I've got about 4" width with 11" height (10" water depth) with no cover so height above waterline isn't an issue. It looks like it would fit based upon the dimensions.

SouthFlorida_Tron

If you have 3.3",it'll fit. And can run in 5" of water but I like 5.5"

At MACNA, Some of the Frag booths that had the skimmer working had them running in the little 5-6" shallow Frag displays they were showing. Very versatile, and efficient.

SouthFlorida_Tron

That was probably two or three days, dryer than wetter... I doubt it, could be the load... I have fresh kz carbon and phosban in the back sump.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to say thank you for starting this review. I had the SH**TY 115 skimmer and let me tell you I loathed that skimmer with a passion. It Was way to noisy and hardly worked for the price it cost. My skim would be so wet ;) and with hardly a hint of color to it :furious: . So I went on the look out for a new skimmer. I wanted to get the PSL-100 but it wouldn't fit in my chamber so i kept looking around. I almost went with the innovated marines skimmer but after seeing so many bad reviews i decided to not go with that one. then i looking into the tunze one. iv had a previous tunze that didn't work to well i had to fiddle with it alot and after turning it off it didn't always want to turn on and id have to take it all apart again and mess with it. that became a hassle and the magnate on the back was almost to strong it looked like it stressed the case on the skimmer at times like it would crack or just rip it off. So after remembering that I decided to just get the PSL-50.

I like everyone else so far was very impressed with how clean and solid and the quality of the build. I got that thing wet after being out of the box for not even 5 minutes. I did have micro bubbles in my second chamber but they never went to my 3rd chamber. and after a week i have just about no micro bubbles. My skimmer did go crazy the first day or 2 sometimes randomly filling up and then dropping down to just about no bubbles. but i got mine dialed in in less then a week. and my skim went from a light color to a very very dark skim. its been better then any tunze or 115 iv had. I highly recommend this skimmer, for smaller tanks with AIO. it just works. i dont usually do product reviews. but this has been working so well for me and im so pleased. i cant beleive iv had my tank running with out this kind of skimm for so long. ill see if i can load a picture of my skim in just a few. been having issues uploading my pics.

Thanks man, i cant upload my pic. Its over megabit and i am horrible with computers, and don't know how to reduce the size. lets just say my skim is almost as dark as yours tron! no joke its been less then two weeks and no issues for me. i have it as high out of the water as i can, like you did. it really allows for fine tuning on these things

duncan-junkie

Seems like its hard to find a good nano skimmer? I have a nano tank as well, and just ordered the aquaticlife 115, so I hope it pulls something out. I had been eyeballing the CAD nano skimmer for a while, but ended up getting the aquaticlife one for a good price. I would like to see more updates on this pipless skimmer, because if the one I just got doesnt work out, I think the PSL-50 would be a good cannidate. Keep us posted B)

So I'm looking at getting this skimmer but I'm also looking at upgrading my 20 long to a 40 breeder. Will this be enough skimmer for a tank with a moderate to high bio load? Does anyone know how this compares to let's say the sca-301?

Will you be running a sump or using it as a HOB? I have the psl-50 on my 34 Solona. and i have a pretty big bio-load. and so far its doing great for me. I haven't used the 301. or looked at reviews so i cant help you with that question sorry.

It will be in a sump. My 20 long is dumped now and I have the mini 115 skimmer and hate it. Looking for something with more power.

if your using a sump, im sure there is a better skimmer then the 100. From what I'v read here, alot of folks like to use a skimmer that's 2-3 times what its rated for. so if your going to have around 60 gallons of water, some would shoot for a skimmer rated for 100 plus. and if your running a sump you dont really need to be looking into a nano skimmer like these ones. unless your short on space. but that's just my opinion. hope you find what your looking for :)

• 7 months later...

So I've had the PLS-50 on my tank for a few months now, and just recently upgraded to a 20 long right beside my bed. So far I'm super in love with the new tank and location, but all I can hear all night long is the damn skimmer. Its down in the sump, behind 3/4" melamine which helps dampen it, but man is it gurgling. I had just cleaned it before moving it to the new tank, and it purred like a kitten, but after a few days when it broke back in again, the motor is just super noisy again. Anyone have any ideas, I JUST cleaned the thing, gave the whole pump section an overnight vinegar bath.

I never really noticed before because I wasn't as close, but it did make similar levels of noise before. It wouldn't be so bad if it was more consistent, it has a weird inconsistent noise. Has anyone else run into this? Is there something that is misaligned or something? I'm seriously considering putting it on a timer to only run during the day, or looking into other options. I love this skimmer, and it used to give me consistent skim (still working on dialling it in on the new tank) but I can't handle this noise right beside my bed.

Hey guys, so this is kind of an old thread, but I have more of a technical question with this skimmer. I have had mine for about a month and a half or so, no problems with it, works great, but I am wondering if it comes apart for cleaning. I have pulled it apart as much as I can, but does the center tube which is attached to the flower (with all the holes in it) come out? I have a toothbrush that I use to clean it, but I have a heck of a time getting into that flower section to clean it well. Will try a bottle brush this next go-round, but just wondering if this ting comes apart more that I am realizing.............

• 4 weeks later...
digedgeReef20

Nope, it doesn't come apart :( (poor design) I tried first soaking it in vinegar, didn't clean good enough. So I ended up soaking the center tube in a bleach water solution which worked great. Just rinse and let it dry thoroughly. They need to make a revamp of this skimmer allowing you dissemble the center section for cleaning.

SouthFlorida_Tron

Unless your OCD, is there a complete, performance, unnecessary need to get every single piece of gunk in there, just to have it re-caked in crap in a matter of weeks all over again? the cup and neck and bubble plate are all that need to be cleaned homey...

CHILLLLLLLLLL!

digedgeReef20

Im Chillled LOL, Truly CAD Lights did over look design when it comes to cleaning the center tube no way in hell to get it truly clean iMO without soaking it in bleach and water. My problem is this, because my tank is a AIO the skimmer sticks out in plain sight in the top back left of my tank which in turn my led causes it to build up allot of algae, very unsightly. I'm sure build up probably wont effect performance to much but it looks like crap when its full of algae. So I like to clean it every 4 to 6 months which should be a very easy task but nope :( . If CAD Lights would of made a simple design change like being able to unscrew the top or bottom of the center tube cleaning would of been a easy task.

Islandoftiki

Im Chillled LOL, Truly CAD Lights did over look design when it comes to cleaning the center tube no way in hell to get it truly clean iMO without soaking it in bleach and water. My problem is this, because my tank is a AIO the skimmer sticks out in plain sight in the top back left of my tank which in turn my led causes it to build up allot of algae, very unsightly. I'm sure build up probably wont effect performance to much but it looks like crap when its full of algae. So I like to clean it every 4 to 6 months which should be a very easy task but nope :( . If CAD Lights would of made a simple design change like being able to unscrew the top or bottom of the center tube cleaning would of been a easy task.

It seems like every skimmer in this size range has an achilles heel. Of the skimmers I have, my IM Midsized skimmer has multiple flimsy parts that are easy to break if you don't handle it very gently. My tunze 9002 skims pretty wet and the plastic elbow where the air line connects to the pump clogs every month and is a pain to get unclogged. My PLS-50 is by far the better skimmer.

digedgeReef20

It seems like every skimmer in this size range has an achilles heel. Of the skimmers I have, my IM Midsized skimmer has multiple flimsy parts that are easy to break if you don't handle it very gently. My tunze 9002 skims pretty wet and the plastic elbow where the air line connects to the pump clogs every month and is a pain to get unclogged. My PLS-50 is by far the better skimmer.

I agree the PLS-50 is an incredible skimmer probably the best in its class.

Archived