SaltCritters.com

Evil cluster build

cichlidtx

I'm in the process of updating my current LED setup on my 40BR which is 2:1 NW/RB. I was going the full spectrum route but after reading jedimasterben thread, I think I'm going to try the Evil cluster setup instead. Anyway I pretty much have followed his recommendation on the LED's themselves and this is what I have so far. I will be using 2 clusters of one of the below layouts. I will be using an Arduino based controller using LDD drivers for this new setup. Let me know what you think. Thanks

LED's consist of:

1x Bridgelux BXRA-40E1350-B-00 4000K neutral white
2x Luxeon M royal blue 450-455nm
2x Luxeon Rebel cool blue 475-480nm
2x Luxeon Rebel cyan 490-495nm
8x Steve's LED's true violet

1st layout

076_zps5fe31468.jpg

2nd layout

075_zps74cae122.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

The violet LEDs aren't going to matter in the grand scheme of things, they don't add disco or any real look to the light, so I wouldn't worry about them.

Can't wait to see it lit!

Are you saying that it doesn't matter the location of the violets? I have already soldered my LLD1000's to my boards and just need to wire up the LED's. This is a temporary heatsink as I'm going to use the ones on my current tank. I may use it as a comparison to one of my fixtures. I will update as I progress.

Here is the LDD driver boards and the power supply that I will be using. The bridgelux will be using the 1000H and all other LED's will be using the 700H.

1000H

003-Copy_zps2b059b51.jpg

700H

001-Copy_zps6b61acad.jpg

Power supply 48Vdc 7.3A

002-Copy_zps2815b51c.jpg

This is only 1 fixture. I will building 2. The Luxeon M royal blue's will be on one driver and the Bridgelux BXRA-40E950-B-00 4000K neutral white will be on another one. The third is just backup because online components has a minimum buy or they apply a service charge. I was originally going to run 6 channels so that's why I have so many drivers. Gives me an excuse to build a frag tank and run off the same controller.

There's large thread on RC where the files were made available to order the PCB's. PM if your interested in the files.

Quick question:

Light is for a 40 breeder, right? That's a pretty narrow reflector on the Bridgelux....you plan on suspending it 5' above the tank?

Yes its a 40br. I just followed jedi thread and realized afterwards that reflector would be an issue. I plan on being around 10-12" above the tank. I will have to back down on the power at that distance. Do you think I even need a reflector? If so, what would you recommend.

Mmmm, still seems a bit tight. I have that same reflector and it will still have to be fairly high over that tank. Then again everybody seems to be into that partial lit thing.....

The only reason for that height is because of my current canopy. I may need to modify it for this light as I want the entire tank lit. Do you have a better reflector recommendation and at what height? thanks for your input, much appreciated/

I'll measure the exact coverage tonight with a couple different reflectors if that helps...

That would be great. Thanks again.

Would you mind taking a picture pallel to the surface, so I could check the height difference in the reflectors?

Thanks!

Here's a side view of the reflectors. The large reflector is 7/8" above heatsink surface and the smaller ones are 5/8" above. Let me know if you have any other questions.

001_zpscd243133.jpg

That's all I wanted to see!

Thank you very much and I'll be following this thread along and waiting to see it lit and get the area coverage of this lil' toy hahaha

Keep up the good work!

I measured all four Bridgelux reflectors in the series last night, and will post them later (left notes at home). It's tough to measure because the fall off is so smooth with the reflector (unlike acrylics), but I have some rough measures.

I measured all four Bridgelux reflectors in the series last night, and will post them later (left notes at home). It's tough to measure because the fall off is so smooth with the reflector (unlike acrylics), but I have some rough measures.

Thanks, I really appreciate you doing this for me. This will help on the decision if I should use reflectors or which one's to use.

jedimasterben

Were you able to get the measurements?

cichlidtx

I got it all wired up for testing, I will clean it up when I decide if this is right for my tank. I made a mistake in wiring and wiped out one of my drivers. I hooked the power to the PWM inputs and seen smoke signals, no other damage luckily. I looked blasterman's reflector thread and I think I will probably go no optics for now. This thing is wicked bright. I will be beta testing the StormX LED controller which will allow me to lower the power and then play with optics for color blending. It should be here early next week. Enough talk, here's some pics. Let me know what you think, be gentle on the horrific wiring. I couldn't wait any longer.

Soldering LED's (not my best work)

160_zps0fc427f6.jpg

Let there be light

161_zpsd58c31ad.jpg

169_zpsea570bbc.jpg

Top view showing LED colors

175_zpsf3553cb4.jpg

Closeup with optics (I don't think I will be using them for now)

174_zpsecf0e76b.jpg

173_zps6395af2e.jpg

Archived