Coral Vue Hydros

The addiction continues... 75 Gallons - Rimless

jdantunes

Hello old NR members - Welcome new ones!

I got to say that even that I have not posted a thread in this website for well over a year, I'm glad to be back.

This forum is where my love for this addictive hobby started, tons of research hours throughout others members posts, learning from their own experiences. I meet good people along the way, people that will share their mind and pick into yours. Lol.

Here is where all started....

I rocked a stock BioCube 14 for almost 2.5 years before I started to plan this upgrade.

IMG_1576.jpg

IMG_1658.jpg

IMG_1691.jpg

IMG_1890.jpg

IMG_1921.jpg

IMG_2408.jpg

IMG_2476.jpg

IMG_2473.jpg

IMG_2604.jpg

And this was the last picture I took before I moved everything....

IMG_0217.jpg

Into my new tank

IMG_0108.jpg

That is a beautiful biocube. Can't wait to see what you do with the 75.

Thanks. I can see in your signature that you are also highly addicted to this hobby.

Thanks. I can see in your signature that you are also highly addicted to this hobby.
Holla!! Glad to see you back on NR. I had that 75 it was a great tank. I am following this new build.

I looked at manufactured stands, but I had something different in mind. This tank is going to be in our dining room area. So I jumped to the boards and draw a stand that will blend with my current home furniture, I wanted access to all sides and had an idea to install a box to help me concealed all my electronic gadgets and minimize the spiderweb of wires.

After I was done with my drawing, I show them to a furniture carpenter as he took on the project. Here are some pictures while my stand was build.

Instead of painting, decided to use white formica to cover the interior mainly for ease of cleaning and help protect the wood from water spills.

IMG_0187.jpg

Access all sides as mentioned with a removable back board.

IMG_0189.jpg

All it needed was some nice trim and red stain...

IMG_0188.jpg

And just like magic....

IMG_0213.jpg

My daughter overlooking the project

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

For this build I choose to use dry rock, which later I seeded using the rocks left from my Biocube.

IMG_0196.jpg

I cut a piece of styrofoam with the same dimensions of my tank interior, this gave me a perspective of the space available for my aquascape structure..

IMG_0197.jpg

Im into the minimalist look. Prior, I ordered a couple of nylon rods, washers and nuts from amazon. Using them and a few zip ties, I was able to create my aquascape. No use of epoxy required.

IMG_0205.jpg

Left side

IMG_0207.jpg

Right side

IMG_0208.jpg

From top

IMG_0206.jpg

I looked at manufactured stands, but I had something different in mind. This tank is going to be in our dining room area. So I jumped to the boards and draw a stand that will blend with my current home furniture, I wanted access to all sides and had an idea to install a box to help me concealed all my electronic gadgets and minimize the spiderweb of wires.

After I was done with my drawing, I show them to a furniture carpenter as he took on the project. Here are some pictures while my stand was build.

Instead of painting, decided to use white formica to cover the interior mainly for ease of cleaning and help protect the wood from water spills.IMG_0187.jpg

Access all sides as mentioned with a removable back board.IMG_0189.jpg

All it needed was some nice trim and red stain...IMG_0188.jpg

And just like magic....IMG_0213.jpg

My daughter overlooking the project IMG_0210.jpgIMG_0211.jpg

What kind of car is under that cover?:)

You know what I will ask next. :) pictures ?

Sure, I'll post some of the pictures soon.

I am getting excited about this thread. :) Cant wait to see more photos!

Thanks... Stay tuned, I promise lots of good pictures.

Welcome to the club

Thank you. But which club is that I'm a new member of?

Very nice looking tank and scape you got going there.

Thank you. I really have archived the look of what I was shooting for. I tried to stay with the minimalist look, but there's so many beautiful corals that is difficult to stay put.

Everything looks amazing so far! You should be proud of that stand and scape.

Thank you. I appreciate your comment. I hope that I can inspire ideas as much as other threads have inspire me.

You've inspired me to lament the current state my stand is in. Thanks for that, jerk.

Seriously though, it looks good.

I choose the tank to be located in our dining room. It can be view from any side of our living area and it could be a good conversation point while entertaining guest during dinner.

Because I live in FL and I had experience being without power for days during hurricane season. I choose to wire a dedicated 20 Amp circuit for the tank. In the case that we get hit by a storm, I can still run my tank from our main power generator. Also decided to run a Cat5 wire for LAN connectivity.

But of course, while trying to fish the wires down the wall, I hit a stud and had to open a hole in the drywall to pass the wires thru. I patched the wall and prepared it to be re painted.

IMG_0342.jpg

While the wall dry, I started to lay the equipment and plan the installation...

I ordered a Trigger Systems Ruby 30 Elite Sump, Eheim 1260, Finnex refugium fixture and lots of plumbing goods. I didn't use any flex hoses. Everything was plumb using rigid PVC. 1" for drain and 3/4" for the return.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Another aspect of my design was use the Eheim pump externally and ease the access for maintenance. To accomplish this I used a couple of +GF+ union ball valves that I ordered from US Plastics. One in the suction side and another one in the pressure side. I can loose those up and take the pump out for service without cutting the plumbing or getting wet.

I made little adjustments but this is how it looks...

IMG_0007.jpg

Also marked and drilled the hole in the return area of my sump to install the pump later.

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

Done for today and ready to sit down and relax for a while....

IMG_0012.jpg

Is this tank already running and you are taking us through the process? What happened to that Tech tank you bought awhile back? Steeley was welcoming you to the Deep Blue 75 club. :)

Is this tank already running and you are taking us through the process? What happened to that Tech tank you bought awhile back? Steeley was welcoming you to the Deep Blue 75 club. :)

Yes. This tank has been running for a year and a half but still not fully completed. I have taken pictures and I wanted to share what worked on it and what didn't.

The tech tank never got wet and after a few months of being in my garage I sold it to a guy from Orlando.

I'll be a proud member of Deep Blue 75 Club! Thanks....

After the wall dried, I moved the tank into place and hanged the light fixture over it. I'm using an Elos AquaPlanet II. Great and compact fixture.

I tinted the back glass using privacy glass tint. I know that most of people paint the back but I copied this idea from Oceanic's Tech tank lineup.

IMG_0347.jpg

Now was time to start plumbing the equipment. I moved the tank away from the wall and removed the back panel of the stand. First, I installed bulkhead in the hole that I previously drilled in the sump return area and plumbed the 1" ball valve.

IMG_00142.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

I started to run the pipes down from the tank's overflow to figure the best way to plumb the system. You can also see in this picture, the box I installed in the top front of the stand. Inside this box I concealed all the wires and Power Bars for the Aquacontroller.

IMG_0017.jpg

I drilled holes to run wires in and out from the box. This is how it looks inside the box...

IMG_0029.jpg

And outside...

IMG_0023.jpg

I choose to feed my refugium using the drain line. I installed a gate valve to divert the water flow that will go to the refugium and the rest will go to the filter sock in the skimmer area of my sump.

IMG_0030.jpg

This is how it looks facing the tank.

IMG_0022.jpg

Well to keep happy my one follower... Here's what's next

I finished plumbing my return pump using the union ball valves. The T fitting after the valve I used to plumb the reactor to it. Then with the following gate valve, I can dial how much water will flow into the reactor and how much to the display.

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

With all the plumbing done it was time to get the RO/DI in the tank and test for leaks. (Note: I tested the tank for leaks previously using tap water)

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

After the tank got filled using just RO/DI water. I primed the pump and tested for leaks. I found nothing mayor, just a small pressure leak in the pump return. I solved this just tightening the union.

But the biggest issue was not a water leak, it was the drain noise. Water was splashing inside the pipes making it loud. I started looking for answers and found out what was it.

I maintain and repair swimming pool system for living, all my plumbing experience is around pressure plumbing... not gravity drains. That where the problem was... My lines were too straight. I had to give it more of an angle. Cutted the plumbing out and using 45's instead 90's I was able to fixed this problem.

Before

IMG_0034.jpg

After

IMG_0047.jpg

With all the issues out of the way. It was time to get this a little salty...

IMG_0052.jpg

jdantunes

Ok, let's continue with this thread...

After I got my salinity raise to 1.026. Unpacked the sand that I choose "CaribSea Fiji Pink live aragonite"

IMG_0055.jpg

Tank got really cloudy after I added the sand and took almost four days to clear up. Lesson learned for future builds... Add sand on an empty tank and then fill up with saltwater slowly.

IMG_0056.jpg

Once the tank got cleared, it was time to recreate my aquascaping. After I disassemble the rock work, I soak them in RO/DI water for three weeks, monitoring the phosphate level and doing small water changes every three or four days.

I used pictures that I printed out to help me recreated the rock structure.

IMG_00022.jpg

Once in my tank. I decided to add another piece of rock to right side, preserving same open aquascape feel that I was looking for...

IMG_0015-1.jpg

Archived