SaltCritters.com

Kent Tech M Bryopsis treatment

seabass

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's specific to Bryopsis, and isn't effective on other types of algae. I wouldn't say it's 100% safe for other life in your reef aquarium either.

In order to adjust the specific gravity of the water (since it's mostly Epsom salt) you'll have to dilute it down to 1.025 and use that as a water change. Of course this will affect the alkalinity and calcium levels (which can also be a shock to sensitive livestock); and the other ingredients (which might be why it works) are also brought to much higher levels.

However, most hardy inhabitants will survive the treatment. And there isn't another whole tank Bryopsis treatment, so I think there is merit in it's use. Note that there are several species of Bryopsis, and I'm not sure if anyone has come across one that doesn't respond.

• 2 weeks later...
FlowerMama

I have 8 small rocks in my rock flower nem tank and they have bryopsis. I need to see if it's on all or just 4 or 5. I'll move the ones that don't into the fuge temporarily, but how could I treat those rocks in a 5 gallon bucket? I've only seen it the last 2 weeks or so. I have much more rock in the fuge so if it comes to it I'll do anything I need to strip it from those pieces. As the tank grows in w/ babies, I'll hopefully need the room, at which point I was probably just going to sell that rock then anyway.

I do have 2 trochus on the way next week, I read they may eat it.

• 2 months later...

okay, i have been dosing tech-m for several weeks keeping levels at or above (max 1950) 1750-1800 ppm. it has done literally NOTHING to the bryopsis in my tank. i am running carbon, purigen elite, and phos-ban, as well as filter floss. i read in the OP that a 'poly-filter' supposedly absorbs the ingredient in tech-m that i need, but i am unsure if any of the things i listed count as a 'poly-filter'? should i remove any of them/if so, what?

very frustrated at this point.

okay, i have been dosing tech-m for several weeks keeping levels at or above (max 1950) 1750-1800 ppm. it has done literally NOTHING to the bryopsis in my tank. i am running carbon, purigen elite, and phos-ban, as well as filter floss. i read in the OP that a 'poly-filter' supposedly absorbs the ingredient in tech-m that i need, but i am unsure if any of the things i listed count as a 'poly-filter'? should i remove any of them/if so, what?

I would remove the carbon since it can absorb chemicals/impurities. It is possible it is effecting the ingredient you need.

I would also be suspicious that the "other stuff" you need could be in a lower ratio in your bottle vs someone else. Like how salt mix can vary a bit from batch to batch. It may not be consistent.

I ended up curing bryopsis with a tuxedo urchin that ate it all.

I have one of those, hmm.

My lettuce slug went on strike again.

I would remove the carbon since it can absorb chemicals/impurities. It is possible it is effecting the ingredient you need. I would also be suspicious that the "other stuff" you need could be in a lower ratio in your bottle vs someone else. Like how salt mix can vary a bit from batch to batch. It may not be consistent. I ended up curing bryopsis with a tuxedo urchin that ate it all.

There are also various species of Bryopsis. I don't believe that this treatment is equally effective on all varieties. Also, some hair algae species resemble Bryopsis, but are not (so this treatment would not be effective on these species).

Step 1: Remove the carbon. What is "Purigen elite"? Chemipure Elite or Purigen? In either case, remove it as well because it either contains carbon or does the same thing as carbon. I'd remove your filter floss too.

Step 2: Do massive water changes to lower your mg levels again. It's not the magnesium that kills the bryopis. It is something else in Tech-M that kills bryopsis (current theory is that it's the lithium chloride). You're going to have to get your magnesium down in order to re-dose the tank up to the levels needed to kill the bryopsis.

Step 3: When dosing the tank, it's helpful to turn all pumps off and use a turkey baster to put the Tech-M directly on the areas that have the most bryopsis.

Are you using the 16 oz bottle or the 64 oz? While it shouldn't make a difference, I saw no change in bryopysis when I kept buying 16 oz bottles. As soon as I buy 1 64 oz bottle it took effect.

Also, I would not perform massive water changes as previously stated. I would continue to perform weekly water changes then re-dose your tech-M to maintain the proper levels. This ensures a continued supply of whatever the ingredient in tech-M gets added to your tank.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
jedimasterben

The battle begins. Half a gallon of Tech M is in the house, dosing 300mL per day, roughly 50 gallon total volume, should raise magnesium by 110.4ppm daily. Will continue dosing daily this week and will stop on the weekend and observe from there.

IMG_5300.jpg

The battle begins. Half a gallon of Tech M is in the house, dosing 300mL per day, roughly 50 gallon total volume, should raise magnesium by 110.4ppm daily. Will continue dosing daily this week and will stop on the weekend and observe from there.

IMG_5300.jpg

Man, I wish you luck Ben. I know it is really hard to differentiate strains, but that looks exactly like the strain I have and it could care less about Tech M, even when I had it up to 2200+. Should be interesting to see if you have any luck. Just remember to keep a close eye on your salinity and Alk levels as they can creep up along with heavy Mag dosing.

Old thread, but my success with Bryopsis using Tech M was not beating it, controlling it. Once I had it all removed I had to perform maintenance to keep it out of my tank, otherwise it would regrow. Tech M kept it from growing out of control which permitted me to remove it with other measures.

A half gallon won't be enough on a 50g system. You'll need more than that. You need to continue doing water changes. This permits you to dose more Tech M into the tank. Continuing to dose in ensures that you are consistently putting in whatever inert ingredient is in Tech M into your tank. If you stop dosing once you get to a really high Mg level, eventually the bryopsis will take hold. Almost like the poison goes ineffective at some point.

jedimasterben

Old thread, but my success with Bryopsis using Tech M was not beating it, controlling it. Once I had it all removed I had to perform maintenance to keep it out of my tank, otherwise it would regrow. Tech M kept it from growing out of control which permitted me to remove it with other measures.

A half gallon won't be enough on a 50g system. You'll need more than that. You need to continue doing water changes. This permits you to dose more Tech M into the tank. Continuing to dose in ensures that you are consistently putting in whatever inert ingredient is in Tech M into your tank. If you stop dosing once you get to a really high Mg level, eventually the bryopsis will take hold. Almost like the poison goes ineffective at some point.

I don't do water changes and won't be.

More than likely the heavy metal impurity that is responsible gets use biologically or abiotically, or is adsorbed by carbon. :)

Jedi did you try any of that as external treatments, using the mg directly as we did peroxide (along with the in tank work, just curious if the direct treated mg can get better kill)

magnesium slurry as the external treatment fluid can be powerful too. zero impact to CUC / nontargets etc./

there's also that factor of whatever you are going to add to the tank, can be spot injected in any patch as a quick boost at least there.

jedimasterben

Jedi did you try any of that as external treatments, using the mg directly as we did peroxide (along with the in tank work, just curious if the direct treated mg can get better kill)

magnesium slurry as the external treatment fluid can be powerful too. zero impact to CUC / nontargets etc./

there's also that factor of whatever you are going to add to the tank, can be spot injected in any patch as a quick boost at least there.

No sir, I didn't. The rock that is infested has my big magnifica nem on it, so I don't really want to remove that from the water for long, the last time I did that it went PLOP on the floor and after that it moved around a lot :/

If I could have removed the rock, I would have gotten some 35% peroxide on a toothbrush, removed as much as possible, and then scrubbed the rock with it.

I did my third dose of magnesium today. At this point I'm not even measuring it lol, I just sloshed some into the tank. I'm gonna use the whole bottle over the next few days anyway! :)

• 1 month later...

A month or so late to the party, but I was wondering the same thing. I have what appears to be a few sprouts of Bryopsis (blast you frags!!!) and have no corals mounted to my rock, so can treat individually.

Anyone else do this externally?

I think I will give it a shot once my bottle arrives.

My strain of B. pennata is completely immune to Tech M treatment.

Yeesh! All I can do is give it a shot. Any luck with Peroxide treatment on Bryopsis?

I can tell you this about it

If you research the danger of 35% peroxide and then score some from local health food store (claimed bath additive that one dilutes) and then you spot treat externally with it

you'll make your bry go away before it ever sets in. The hint to act now before takeover, even by bio cheating, is fully justified. Thousands of bry invasion tanks would give anything to be at this juncture

The speed at which you kill it, including by jet lighter flame which I have vids of, is in direct proportion to its ability to take over your tank. chemical burns have better sustain than even direct fire, the wet rock is quite amazing at its heat transfer ability. A blasted section isn't even warm five seconds after direct pulse. The point is decisive action in any manner

Do not allow 35% to blind anyone with a single accidental drop, it's entirely too dangerous to be sold otc like it is. They should place it next to glass carbouys that read : ultra pure sulfuric acid for sale, please dilute 100x before using in ore metal dissolution

Consider throwing it out when done and buying more later if needed if children are around, I do believe I could not permit the risk.

3% represents the breadth of peroxide ability like 88 octane represents top fuel. A reef has amazing tolerance metabolically of 35 used specific ways many have demonstrated

See reefjar.com for examples he's done detail work in tank. I have vids on yt of me using it inside my pico, not externally. So one has to be careful but it is indeed a swing vote against the meanest invaders. Few consider its power.

jedimasterben

Yeesh! All I can do is give it a shot. Any luck with Peroxide treatment on Bryopsis?

killed the #### out of it. I took the rocks out to scape the tank, and I sprayed all patches of bryopsis and a few bits of valonia with 3%. I also sprayed one of my macroalgaes since it had some bryopsis mixed at its base, and it did this lol.

25542261285_ab3ed055ef_b.jpg

killed the #### out of it. I took the rocks out to scape the tank, and I sprayed all patches of bryopsis and a few bits of valonia with 3%. I also sprayed one of my macroalgaes since it had some bryopsis mixed at its base, and it did this lol.

25542261285_ab3ed055ef_b.jpg

Amazing macro!

I was thinking the same thing, so beautiful how nice and round it is. I can't wait to get some nice macros in my tank once the HA is gone. Thankfully bryopsis is one of the few algaes i'm not struggling with atm.

What kind is that, gracilaria hayi? structure looks different though.

jedimasterben

I was thinking the same thing, so beautiful how nice and round it is. I can't wait to get some nice macros in my tank once the HA is gone. Thankfully bryopsis is one of the few algaes i'm not struggling with atm.

What kind is that, gracilaria hayi? structure looks different though.

It is Gracilaria curtissae. Grows decently quickly in around 100 PAR, where it is now should be getting quite a bit more, so we will see how it does now :)

Archived