Cultivated Reef

Lattes Rimless Reef

latteslave

DSC_3916%20(2).jpg?psid=1

Posting my piece of reef...

Tank: Advanced Acrylic - 20 x 16 x 14. Center overflow dual return.

Light: AI Nano

Rock: @ 15 Lbs tonga

Sand: 15 Lbs

Sump: Advanced Acrylics custom. Simple sump with built in top off section.

Skimmer: BubbleMagnus NAC3

Return: Mag 7 for primary Rio for secondary

Running Biopellets and GFO in CPR nano reactors

Reef Angel Controller

Lighting schedule:

RB - on at 10:00 25% with a 3 hour ramp up to 50%. 7pm 3 hour ramp down to 25% then hits 2% at 10pm for moonlights

Blue - on at 10:30 at 20% with a 3 hour ramp up to 45%. 6:30 3 hour ramp down to 20% then off at 9:30pm

NW - on at 10:45 at 20% with a 3 hour 15 minute ramp up to 45%. 6pm 3 hour 15 minute ramp down to 20% then off at 9:15pm

This tank has been going since September 2012.

Current FTS:

01/19/2013

DSC_3894%20(2).jpg?psid=1

Thanks for stopping by!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BoCoMo and Logansreef - thank you both.

Lighting schedule is pretty basic right now:

10am white 30, blue 35, royal blue 35 2 hour ramp up to 50,55,55 and 2 hour ramp down at 8pm... Light off at 10.

Deleted User 4

I suggest you to lower the time frame for the 50, 55, 55. You have it wayy too long, from 12pm to 8pm (8hrs of 50,55,55). That's going to bleach some of your corals in my opinion. I've already noticed a little bleaching on some of the sps. Just my opinion.

Thanks for the tip... These are very powerful. I had mine running max 25% when I had it four inches over the tank like yours is sitting. It's at 24" above the sand now and been running that way for about 6 weeks.

• Like 1
Deleted User 4

Thanks for the tip... These are very powerful. I had mine running max 25% when I had it four inches over the tank like yours is sitting. It's at 24" above the sand now and been running that way for about 6 weeks.

Yeah....24" isn't tall enough to supplement your corals with 50% 55% 55%...and especially for 8 hours straight....wayyy to bright for your corals to handle.

Please try lowering the time frame to 4 hours. The 30 35 35 will be good enough to support the beginning and end, total of another 4 hours.

Just try it out for 2 weeks if you can :)

Wow. Made it almost half a page and I am already being told what I am doing wrong. Good times - glad I decided to start a new thread.

MGDMIRAGE! A familiar face - thanks for popping in!

• Like 1

Didn't say you were wrong. I actually would love to hear what other ai nano users have going on with their light cycle. I have tried a few different ones so far and this has provided good results. Not great - but good. Nothing is bleaching or showing signs of stress but I know I should be getting better color than I am. My last DIY led rig gave me great coloration and it was a 12 hour light cycle all at 50%.

• Like 1

Just the one clown... Se will move to another tank and I will get a new pair. Not really looking to stock too many fish at all.

Didn't say you we're wrong. I actually would love to hear what other ai nano users have going on with their light cycle. I have tried a few different ones so far and this has provided good results. Not great - but good. Nothing is bleaching or showing signs of stress but I know I should be getting better color than I am. My last DIY led rig gave me great coloration and it was a 12 hour light cycle all at 50%.

same here' mine maxes at 45% and its 10" off the water. granted its a peak, but its still pretty intense. the trick is you have to acclimate the coral to it. i've seen tanks with the ai nano at like 75-80% 8-10" above the tank. you'd be surprised how much (certain) corals can handle

• Like 1

Wow. Made it almost half a page and I am already being told what I am doing wrong. Good times - glad I decided to start a new thread.

MGDMIRAGE! A familiar face - thanks for popping in!

pffft. It is all a fun experiment anyways.

But the rimless look with drilled overflows and returns are great. A HOB does not jive with the look.

Deleted User 4

same here' mine maxes at 45% and its 10" off the water. granted its a peak, but its still pretty intense. the trick is you have to acclimate the coral to it. i've seen tanks with the ai nano at like 75-80% 8-10" above the tank. you'd be surprised how much (certain) corals can handle

Yuppp, adjusting the fixture to acclimate corals from time to time works.

Archived