Coral Vue Hydros

botom line what is the best reef salt.

ecajoe

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mixed up some Oceanic Natural Salt a couple of days ago. Here are the parameters I was able to test:

SG = 1.025 at 77.6. Same

pH = 8.0. 8.6

Alk = 9.9 dKH. 6.8

Mag = 1365ppm. Came out 700

Calcium = 535ppm came out 430

And since I have a whole jug of this still, could you please elaborate on why this brand is "yuck"? :)

Found it difficult to dissolve fully. IO dissolves better/quicker. IMO. W- :)

Aww, I bought a whole jug of it. I did make sure to mix it for a long time.

To the OP - glad I got a good batch then. Maybe I'm going to look into new salt as well once this jug is history.

• Like 1

tumblr_ln2pwoguBH1qbcxxvo1_400.jpg

. Haha that's funny but we did use this in fw...btw I got my media baskets order today

Aww, I bought a whole jug of it. I did make sure to mix it for a long time.

To the OP - glad I got a good batch then. Maybe I'm going to look into new salt as well once this jug is history.

I mix well in fact pump runs 24/7

post-78018-0-09938200-1357254375_thumb.jpg

Islandoftiki

I've had good luck with IO Reef crystals in the past. There were some recent reports locally about excess nuisance algae with Reef Crystals, but that's only hearsay, I haven't used it for 6 months.

I use Red Sea Coral Pro salt right now. I switched to it for the higher ALK. I no longer have to dose my tank for alk with that salt. I have to clean my mixing powerhead about every three buckets of saltwater I mix though. Parameters are always spot on with what they're supposed to be. I have noticed better SPS growth with the Red Sea Coral Pro.

TheUnfocusedOne

I'm not aware of any tests where reef crystals won. The only side-by-side independent lab tests that I've ever seen were by Practical Fishkeeping a few years ago (link). "DD H2Ocean Magnesium Pro" salt was named the best salt by them. That's what I've used for the last year or so.

There's one out there. I can't remember where it was posted, I think RC. I'll see if I can find it tomorrow.

I think that that pet place has pretty good deal for bucket of reef crystal. Petco did have a sale also. Not sure if it still going :)

I think that that pet place has pretty good deal for bucket of reef crystal. Petco did have a sale also. Not sure if it still going :)

I could drive up there I'm almost due a trip
buddythelion

I'm using Microbe Lift now and love it. Very quick mix and clear results, all of my corals love it. I used to use Salinity, caused more headache than applicable uses (takes forever to mix unless you add the salt in slowly, leaves a gross grey residue, and one time I got a bit too confident with the salt and added the total amount I needed all at once. The whole bucket was a gross grey and after 3 days of mixing was still grey. Needless to say that mix was dumped.). After my headaches with Salinity I decided that it's not a so great product and others have been chiming in with inconsistent results with Salinity. A salt mix should be easy for the customer, especially for a premium salt. I switched to MicrobeLift and love it!

I have used oceanic and it's really just a salt.

I used a whole bucket of red sea coral pro. The salt will mix per the parameters but I found that as the salt was used and the air got in, the para,eters in the mix did not stay true to advertised levels. Further, a week to 10 days later, the DKH dropped to 5 in the mix!

The mixing bucket, heater, power head all had a nasty residue. It may be harmless but it effectively clogged an MJ900 pump. I worry abut what that might have done to my tank.

Despite RSCP enhanced levels, I've been battling chronic ALK and needed to dose 2 part. I figured I did not need an enhanced salt if I was going to have to dose anyway.

When the bucket finished, I ordered a small case of ESV which is what I am using right now. The tank seems happy, the water seems light and airy. Stupid description of a bucket of water but I really cannot explain further, the RSCP water looked heavy, like it was laden with stuff, ESV mixes clear very quickly and leaves no residue either.

Now for the kicker! I just ordered a small box of Reef Crystals. I've heard good things about it, it is a supposed to be a clean basic salt with consistent quality and parameters. Reef Crystal has enhanced trace elements also but is less expensive than RSCP.

Can't wait to try it out and hope the tank likes it.

I've been using regular Red Sea salt. Similar parameters as Reef Crystals but it mixes a lot quicker and cleaner.

I've always used reef crystals but will be changing to Red Sea Regular salt for my 40 since it's numbers match what I usually run it at.

My Opinions:

To really evaluate a salt, assuming all are capable of supporting life, you really have to compare it to what you run your tank at. Red Sea Coral pro, for example, has elevated levels of everything, perfect for a frag tank where you want to push everything for rapid growth, but not so great if you want to run closer to natural seawater levels (6-7dKH, 412 Ca, 1290mg ref: http://ozreef.org/library/tables/natural_sea_water_composition.html and http://www.amdareef.com/ho_chem1.htm )

Reef Crystals also has elevated levels but not to the extent that RSCP does.

I can't maintain my KH above 8, probably due to my phosphate levels, so when I do a water change I'm trying to change with a mix that most closely matches my readings.

I used Oceanic years ago. Aways high in Calcium low in Alk. Last bucket I mixed had frothy crap on top almost a oil. So I switched to Salinity salt and never looked back. I think IO is popular because of the price.

• Like 1

I've used Instant Ocean, Tropic Marin, Red Sea Coral Pro, Neo-Marine, Reef Crystals, and now I'm back to Red Sea Coral Pro. Of all those, Instant Ocean and Tropic Marin mixed up the best with no residue. I like the results I'm getting with RSCP better though. Brightwell Neo-Marine is at the bottom of my "like" list because the final numbers mixed up so low. I was consistently getting very low Alk with the mix.

Only thing I hate about Salinity salt is how heavy the bucket is lol

Sounds like you should eat your Wheaties

woman

• Like 1

Switching from TM Bioactif to reef crystals after I go through this bucket. Currently mixes up to 7dkH and 400calc. I started my 180g with the bioactif and tank just hit the 4 month mark. SPS that I've added recently have stn'd within a week. #### this expensive salt.

and #### oceanic too.

• Like 1

i like rs coral pro just so I don't have to dose really

I'm just to lazy to test an then dose, too many other steps lol

plus it dissolves really fast

buy any salt would do really

IO Reef Crystals. It seems to leave a brownish residue at the water level in the mixing container(for me at least). I've been told its harmless

Archived