ReefCleaners.org

Hydroids

Wizzy

For seahorses, you use some kind of treatment that will kill all inverts, but I think you would not want to use that...

Tweezers +1.

A good quality dip should take care of the little buggers. Just talk to your LFS and they should be able to point you to a good one. I have heard that these spread quickly so I wouldn't wait too long either.

A good rule of thumb is to dip anything you add to your tank, expecally zoa's. There are so many pests and horrible things that like to hitchhike on them. Then they never make it to your system in the first place :)

albertthiel
I have several hydroids on my zoanthid frag.

The frag has two types of zoanthids.

One of the species is being adversely affected (i.e. closed up and not opening).

How do I kill the hydroids?

Not my picture, but shows the hydroids I have.

http://www.coralpedia.com/index.php?module...;g2_itemId=6194

One way is to use Fenbendazole but you will need to read up on its use real carefully so that you use it correctly and in the right dose ... note you need to get it from a Vet I believe

FWIW

That kind is no bueno :( Try removing them with tweezers?

Sorry I can't be of more help

For seahorses, you use some kind of treatment that will kill all inverts, but I think you would not want to use that...

Tweezers +1.

A good quality dip should take care of the little buggers. Just talk to your LFS and they should be able to point you to a good one. I have heard that these spread quickly so I wouldn't wait too long either.

A good rule of thumb is to dip anything you add to your tank, expecally zoa's. There are so many pests and horrible things that like to hitchhike on them. Then they never make it to your system in the first place :)

One way is to use Fenbendazole but you will need to read up on its use real carefully so that you use it correctly and in the right dose ... note you need to get it from a Vet I believe

FWIW

Thanks everyone,

I originally dipped the zoanthids in Coral RX.

I was thinking of Fenbendazole, but have no experience with it.

Any good reading I can do on this subject or an easier dip I can perform?

I was thinking FW dip, but I'm not sure.

-----

My first attempt at helping them was to remove the zoanthids and rub the surface gently.

Then I blasted them with a turkey baster in a separate container of tank water and discarded the water.

I don't think that will solve the problem though.

albertthiel
Thanks everyone,

I originally dipped the zoanthids in Coral RX.

I was thinking of Fenbendazole, but have no experience with it.

Any good reading I can do on this subject or an easier dip I can perform?

I was thinking FW dip, but I'm not sure.

-----

My first attempt at helping them was to remove the zoanthids and rub the surface gently.

Then I blasted them with a turkey baster in a separate container of tank water and discarded the water.

I don't think that will solve the problem though.

On the Fenbendazole a quick search on the Net brings up a lot of articles as long as you add for aquariums to the search they should give you the info you are looking for

mattidallama

I only use the liquid Fenbendazole in my Dwarf tanks i dip all my macros in a solution of 0.1ml of Fenbendazole to ten gallons of salt water and then rinse with fresh water after an hour of dipping. becareful cause Fenbendazole will kill almost all inverts and it binds to most things you house in it so if you dip then in a tub that tub will leech Fenbendazole so keep that in mind but it will nuke those hydroids. seahorse source sells Fenbendazole as well as most vet stores but seahorse source sells it will instructions on the bottle so its easier to use. And i Fenbendazole can stress or kill your zoas even if dipped properly its basicly a last resort for coral.

On the Fenbendazole a quick search on the Net brings up a lot of articles as long as you add for aquariums to the search they should give you the info you are looking for

Here's a quote from a website-

"Panacur will kill some types of snails (particularly astrea), fans, worms of any kind, most if not all soft corals, gorgonians, all stars, etc."

So, I guess that's out.

Thank you for the help though Albert :happy:

-----

So, I just rubbed the zoas some more and plucked a few hydroids off.

Instead of 10 or so visibile hydroids I now have like 3.

This really is unfortunate though, because my zoanthids still haven't opened.

Any more help?

Would a dip in Coral RX help?

Should I try breaking off the rock around the zoas (the rock around them has a few hydroids)?

A few of my zoanthids are opening :happy:

Hopefully, I can eliminate the Hydroids with manual removal.

I am still open to tips however :happy:

albertthiel
A few of my zoanthids are opening :happy:

Hopefully, I can eliminate the Hydroids with manual removal.

I am still open to tips however :happy:

Tweezers

Tweezers

Yes, tweezers have been helpful in my quest to eliminate these annoying pests. :D

------

So, manual removal will continue unless someone can offer me an alternative solution.

albertthiel
Yes, tweezers have been helpful in my quest to eliminate these annoying pests. :D

------

So, manual removal will continue unless someone can offer me an alternative solution.

Yes I guess manual removal is going to be the best at this point

I have a post on my thread about hydroids ... go to the thread and do a search for hydroids and all the hydroid related messages will come up (use the search box on the bottom left of the posting screen)

Albert

Yes I guess manual removal is going to be the best at this point

I have a post on my thread about hydroids ... go to the thread and do a search for hydroids and all the hydroid related messages will come up (use the search box on the bottom left of the posting screen)

Albert

Thanks again Albert :happy:

So, I have been manually removing the hydroids and so far so good.

I just really hope this doesn't become a chronic issue.

Any more tips?

Why not frag the zoas off and throw the plug/ rubble out? I have some that look just like that, fortunately they haven't affected anything. They're in my zoa rock too.

Why not frag the zoas off and throw the plug/ rubble out? I have some that look just like that, fortunately they haven't affected anything. They're in my zoa rock too.

I will probably frag some of the zoanthids off.

The hydroids are scattered throughout the frag though, so removing parts of it would probably have no effect.

Also, I'm sure the hydroids are already in my tank elsewhere so at this point I just need to make sure I can regulate their population.

albertthiel
I will probably frag some of the zoanthids off.

The hydroids are scattered throughout the frag though, so removing parts of it would probably have no effect.

Also, I'm sure the hydroids are already in my tank elsewhere so at this point I just need to make sure I can regulate their population.

You can try getting a Blunt-End Sea Hare" (Dolabella auricularia) from your LFS and then trade it back in when all the Hydroids are gone.

That seems to be a way that works for most who cannot remove them manually

You can try getting a Blunt-End Sea Hare" (Dolabella auricularia) from your LFS and then trade it back in when all the Hydroids are gone.

That seems to be a way that works for most who cannot remove them manually

Funny thing is... I actually already own one of those seahares Lol.

It's not in the same tank though (it used to be and it started knocking over all my corals).

I had no idea they eat Hydroids and if I find that the hydroids migrate to other areas in my tank I will probably re-add him so he can eat them.

I feel a lot more knowledgable now haha :D

Thanks- Wizzy :happy:

-----

EDIT- I wanted to add that I will be fragging my zoanthids as soon as I get a face mask. I already have Coral RX for dipping them in after and scissors and exacto knife w/multiple attachments. It should be fun, I've never fragged zoanthids seriously before and I have a few mini colonies I'm ready to cut up :D

albertthiel

It's not in the same tank though (it used to be and it started knocking over all my corals).

I had no idea they eat Hydroids and if I find that the hydroids migrate to other areas in my tank I will probably re-add him so he can eat them.

-----

EDIT- I wanted to add that I will be fragging my zoanthids as soon as I get a face mask. I already have Coral RX for dipping them in after and scissors and exacto knife w/multiple attachments. It should be fun, I've never fragged zoanthids seriously before and I have a few mini colonies I'm ready to cut up :D

Glad to read it and yes if they spread that would be the way to go IMO

Amphiprion1

-----

I've only ever seen a few reports of some sea hare eating hydroids and none of it was from any literature, only word-of-mouth. It may not actually be this species. The same applies to limpets reported to eat them.

Anyway, from what I do know, some Trochus species do actually eat hydroids--I just haven't really seen any other than the usual "tiger" Trochus snails available and they never touched hydroids (or if they did, it was negligible). I'm sure there's also some obscure nudibranch species out there that may do the trick, too, but good luck with that.

albertthiel
I've only ever seen a few reports of some sea hare eating hydroids and none of it was from any literature, only word-of-mouth. It may not actually be this species. The same applies to limpets reported to eat them.

Anyway, from what I do know, some Trochus species do actually eat hydroids--I just haven't really seen any other than the usual "tiger" Trochus snails available and they never touched hydroids (or if they did, it was negligible). I'm sure there's also some obscure nudibranch species out there that may do the trick, too, but good luck with that.

Check this

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f184/col...em-96296-2.html

Hopefully my hydroid problem doesn't get out of control.

At this point it's annoying, but nothing that a few minutes of manual scraping doesn't remove.

I just hope they go away eventually.

Thanks for the evidence Albert :happy:

albertthiel
Hopefully my hydroid problem doesn't get out of control.

At this point it's annoying, but nothing that a few minutes of manual scraping doesn't remove.

I just hope they go away eventually.

Yes I hope so for you too. I would think that if you keep removing them you may eventually get them all although I cannot be sure

Good luck though and I hope you do

Albert

Archived