inTank Media Baskets

May 2012 Reef Profile - Gena

Christopher Marks

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats Gena nice write up. My dad as well passed the aquarium bug my way. He loved my reef tank but has since passed on as well at a young age of 58.

Congratulations, Gena! I was so excited to see this today! What a nice surprise to come back to. I'm so happy for you because you truly deserve it!

Thank you all...so, so, very much!!!!!!!

Congrats Gena nice write up. My dad as well passed the aquarium bug my way. He loved my reef tank but has since passed on as well at a young age of 58.

I bet there are a lot of us out there!!!!!! And hopefully moms passing the bug along too. I hope my son has his own reef tank someday :)

Speaking of moms...I passed along the link to my reef profile to my Mom today. She loved reading it, said it made her emotional. She let me know that my Dad had written an article for a Fish magazine many, many years ago. I never knew this!!!!!! She's not sure she still has it. I hope she does. I really want to read it. I can let you guys know what it's about. If I had to guess, I'd say it's about guppies or angel fish :)

I hope your mom finds that article, Gena! That would be really cool for you to get to read it all these years later. Your write-up is such a great tribute to your dad.

My dad also gave me the aquarium bug, but it was unintentional since he doesn't have it himself. My dad and I were at the pet store when I was little (like 5 or 6) getting stuff for our dog and somehow he got inspired to try setting up an aquarium with me. It was just a 10 gallon freshwater tank, but my dad and I set it up together and I definitely got hooked. My dad hasn't had a tank since, but he's always entertained when I get a new one. He finally got to see the new reef tank when he came to visit back in March and loved it!

Spirofucci

WTF??? I'm the last to know everything! Hope my wife is not preggers.

Gena, this is so cool!!! Well done and well deserved! What a beautiful tank. I just loved your write up and the bit about your Dad.

Thank you for all your help and inspiration!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-mark

WTF??? I'm the last to know everything! Hope my wife is not preggers.

Gena, this is so cool!!! Well done and well deserved! What a beautiful tank. I just loved your write up and the bit about your Dad.

Thank you for all your help and inspiration!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-mark

:lol:

I'm glad you enjoyed the write-up and you're welcome for any help I was able to provide :happy:

Thanks, Tangereen!!!! Love that name :) The Green-banded gobies are an awesome fish and I highly recommend them!

Thanks, Felicia!!!! I hope she finds it too. Your dad sound awesome :)

Mikerowave

Wow!!! Congrats, Gena!!! About time! It was well deserved! I didn't know until my cousin told me that you were TOTM! The pictures are amazing! :naughtydance:

Well, that;s a very nice aquarium. Congrats on the NTOM!

Thank you :happy:

Wow!!! Congrats, Gena!!! About time! It was well deserved! I didn't know until my cousin told me that you were TOTM! The pictures are amazing! :naughtydance:

Thanks, Mike :happy: I'll have to see if you've updated your thread. It's been awhile!!!!!

RayWhisperer

I almost never wander into the TOTM threads, as well as go to the home screen of N-R. Honestly, I don't know why I did both just a few minutes ago. However, I'm glad I did both.

What caught my eye was the picture of your brother with your father. I thought this was a strange pic to have for a TOTM thread, so I clicked it. I scrolled through and the first part I read was the dedication to your father. It reminded me of my father getting me started all those years ago.

Though my father wasn't a "fish geek", as I like to call us, he was always inspired by nature. He found an old discarded 20 high with broken glass and a broken top rim. He showed me how to re-build a tank that day (a lesson I have put to use many times since.) He taught me how to test water, clean filters, (with the help of a few books) pick fish that do well together, and many other things. While he's not around today to ask, I'm sure he was probably sorry he did that. Within a few years I had a few hundred gallons worth of aquariums set up in the basement (probably much like your father.)

Congratulations on your TOTM. I was moved by your dedication of this to your father. I would be very interested to read the article by your father, if you ever find it. And BTW, nice tank.

Beautiful Tank, Gena! I love that you have a color theme. You and your tank are an inspiration. I'm still researching what I want to put in my 5 gallon, but i love your neon green toadstool and magician palys.

Thank you for sharing.

I almost never wander into the TOTM threads, as well as go to the home screen of N-R. Honestly, I don't know why I did both just a few minutes ago. However, I'm glad I did both.

What caught my eye was the picture of your brother with your father. I thought this was a strange pic to have for a TOTM thread, so I clicked it. I scrolled through and the first part I read was the dedication to your father. It reminded me of my father getting me started all those years ago.

Though my father wasn't a "fish geek", as I like to call us, he was always inspired by nature. He found an old discarded 20 high with broken glass and a broken top rim. He showed me how to re-build a tank that day (a lesson I have put to use many times since.) He taught me how to test water, clean filters, (with the help of a few books) pick fish that do well together, and many other things. While he's not around today to ask, I'm sure he was probably sorry he did that. Within a few years I had a few hundred gallons worth of aquariums set up in the basement (probably much like your father.)

Congratulations on your TOTM. I was moved by your dedication of this to your father. I would be very interested to read the article by your father, if you ever find it. And BTW, nice tank.

Thank you for posting here, RayWhisperer! I so enjoyed reading this. My dad was a total fish geek :lol: He built that same sort of system (multiple tanks) about 20 years later and put it in my younger brother's room. They were breeding fancy guppies :happy: I count us incredibly fortunate to have had the fathers we had :)

I will definitely follow-up here with the article if we're able to locate it!!!!!!

Beautiful Tank, Gena! I love that you have a color theme. You and your tank are an inspiration. I'm still researching what I want to put in my 5 gallon, but i love your neon green toadstool and magician palys.

Thank you for sharing.

Thank you so much!!!!! That color theme was totally unplanned...but ended up working out well. Once I realized it was happening, I really started building on those colors :happy:

The toadstool and the magicians are two of my favorite things too :)

scapegoat

amazing tank, very inspirational. going to be following your foot steps a wee bit for my own 12g nano-cube, as far as some upgrades are concerned.

amazing tank, very inspirational. going to be following your foot steps a wee bit for my own 12g nano-cube, as far as some upgrades are concerned.

Thank you!!!! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me :)

I am way late -- but congrats are just as heartfelt!! :flower:

Thanks, msscha :)

Archived