3 replies to this topic

ck1

ck1

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 12 Oct 2011

Hi,
Here's a photo of my toadstool, he's had these red/white patches near the base of the stalk for as long as I can remember. The upper half looks pretty normal and he still opens up fully.

I'm a bit suspicious of what looks like it aiptasia just behind it. I'd need to get in a bit closer and move some rocks to see it properly, is it worth looking into?

Chris.

Attached Thumbnails

• leather.jpg

Edited by ck1, 11 April 2012 - 04:08 AM.

nathanq.inc

nathanq.inc

Tropics

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • Joined 10 Jun 2011
  • Ayrshire, Scotland
I'd say that that was aiptasia tentacles rearing their ugly heads just behind your toadstool. So yeh it's probably worth looking into...

Builder Anthony

Builder Anthony

Coral Trader

• Members
  • 3,478 posts
  • Joined 30 Jan 2011
  • Appleton Wisconsin
the reds probally the coral battleing algae over a long time and the white is probally decay or something eating on it like a starfish

You can brush away the red with a soft small cosmetic brush but id be more worried about the white area.

Edited by Builder Anthony, 11 April 2012 - 06:23 PM.

Anthonys 5 Gallon
Pictures
http://www.nano-reef...howtopic=267313

ck1

ck1

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 12 Oct 2011
I moved the rocks for a closer look, definitely aiptasia behind it. Had a go at injecting it with lemon juice last night and this morning it's still not re-appeared so I think I killed it!

I'm pretty sure the big white patch at the bottom was there when I got it, which was over 6 months ago. It is unsightly, though. Is it possible to cut the stalk in half? I know people usually frag by cutting the cap...