Coral Vue Hydros

Leather stalk red and white patches

ck1

Hi,

Here's a photo of my toadstool, he's had these red/white patches near the base of the stalk for as long as I can remember. The upper half looks pretty normal and he still opens up fully.

I'm a bit suspicious of what looks like it aiptasia just behind it. I'd need to get in a bit closer and move some rocks to see it properly, is it worth looking into?

Chris.

post-70015-1334146101_thumb.jpg

nathanq.inc

I'd say that that was aiptasia tentacles rearing their ugly heads just behind your toadstool. So yeh it's probably worth looking into...

Builder Anthony

the reds probally the coral battleing algae over a long time and the white is probally decay or something eating on it like a starfish

You can brush away the red with a soft small cosmetic brush but id be more worried about the white area.

I moved the rocks for a closer look, definitely aiptasia behind it. Had a go at injecting it with lemon juice last night and this morning it's still not re-appeared so I think I killed it!

I'm pretty sure the big white patch at the bottom was there when I got it, which was over 6 months ago. It is unsightly, though. Is it possible to cut the stalk in half? I know people usually frag by cutting the cap...

Archived