• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

wyattroa

wyattroa

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • Joined 13 Sep 2010

Well, I went off of what BRS said to dose and now after more research I am seeing this is way wrong. My birds nests are reacting very poorly to this as is my rainbow monti, but my others are doing ok .. I have a 24 gallon nano and it had me put in 6 tbl of gfo..I am guessing I stripped everything from the water...I was using rowaphos...I have since removed the rowaphos down to 3tbl which was recommended by a local reefer, still not sure if that is too much, I am using a nextreef MR1 reactor. I did my regular feedings last night. What can I do to try and counter act this..I am seeing it hit the base of the birds nests hard. Is there anything I can do? I have heard about something with amino acids, but was not sure and also dipping them.
Robert

AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat

Water Wastewater Operations and Maintenance Consultant

• Members
  • 4,192 posts
  • Joined 22 Sep 2002
  • Phoenix AZ
FULL DOSE is 2.4 grams or about 2.5 spoons full maximum.
You ALWAYS start with 1/2 that amount and work up to full dose over a period of weeks or months so start with 1.2 spoons full and if you feel the need increase it slowly over about a month. I prefer to stay with 1/2 dose at all times and never rune the full dose or 2.4 grams ever and have undetcetable phosphates.
16G Bowfront Nanoreef. 100G SPS dominated reef.

little_ocean_treasures

little_ocean_treasures

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Joined 07 Apr 2011
  • Northern MN
I'd go with like 2 1/2 Tablespoons right now and let it stay at that for a month. Then when it's time to change it add an extra 1/2 Tbs.

I used to run Chemi-Pure Elite and Purigen but wanted to change being I heard so many great reviews and plus it's cheaper. When I hooked mine up two months ago I read all I could before I hooked it up so I knew to start with half what BRS recommended for my Biocube 29 gallon which was 7.5 Tablespoons. So I started with 3 Tablespoons knowing my tank is slightly less than 29 gallons with the rock and stuff in it. I had no ill affects from that amount. So now I gradually increase the amount each month when I change the GFO. I add another 1/2 Tablespoon so I increase my dose slowly and I'm currently at 4 Tbs right now and the algae on my glass and sand has finally stop growing so fast which is nice. And the corals are still colored up nicely as well.

I hope this helps. ;)

AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat

Water Wastewater Operations and Maintenance Consultant

• Members
  • 4,192 posts
  • Joined 22 Sep 2002
  • Phoenix AZ
No, you start with 1/4 of what they recommend and work up to 1/2 over time. Check EVERY other vendor.
16G Bowfront Nanoreef. 100G SPS dominated reef.