SaltCritters.com

GFO overdose

wyattroa

Well, I went off of what BRS said to dose and now after more research I am seeing this is way wrong. My birds nests are reacting very poorly to this as is my rainbow monti, but my others are doing ok .. I have a 24 gallon nano and it had me put in 6 tbl of gfo..I am guessing I stripped everything from the water...I was using rowaphos...I have since removed the rowaphos down to 3tbl which was recommended by a local reefer, still not sure if that is too much, I am using a nextreef MR1 reactor. I did my regular feedings last night. What can I do to try and counter act this..I am seeing it hit the base of the birds nests hard. Is there anything I can do? I have heard about something with amino acids, but was not sure and also dipping them.

Robert

AZDesertRat

FULL DOSE is 2.4 grams or about 2.5 spoons full maximum.

You ALWAYS start with 1/2 that amount and work up to full dose over a period of weeks or months so start with 1.2 spoons full and if you feel the need increase it slowly over about a month. I prefer to stay with 1/2 dose at all times and never rune the full dose or 2.4 grams ever and have undetcetable phosphates.

little_ocean_treasures

I'd go with like 2 1/2 Tablespoons right now and let it stay at that for a month. Then when it's time to change it add an extra 1/2 Tbs.

I used to run Chemi-Pure Elite and Purigen but wanted to change being I heard so many great reviews and plus it's cheaper. When I hooked mine up two months ago I read all I could before I hooked it up so I knew to start with half what BRS recommended for my Biocube 29 gallon which was 7.5 Tablespoons. So I started with 3 Tablespoons knowing my tank is slightly less than 29 gallons with the rock and stuff in it. I had no ill affects from that amount. So now I gradually increase the amount each month when I change the GFO. I add another 1/2 Tablespoon so I increase my dose slowly and I'm currently at 4 Tbs right now and the algae on my glass and sand has finally stop growing so fast which is nice. And the corals are still colored up nicely as well.

I hope this helps. ;)

Archived