5 replies to this topic

wannenmacher

wannenmacher

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 103 posts
  • Joined 01 Jul 2008
  • Mattoon IL

I saw this vase at wallmart and thought that would make a awesome pico reef. Then i stumbled upon the pico contest so i bought it. So for not having a pico for a couple years now im back in. I still need to a couple things to the tank before i can get it wet, but it should be cycling by the middle of next week. I will post pics when i get my sd card to work on my phone.
tank- 2g cylinder vase
light-2 epistar led bulbs fixture-metal bowl supported by conduit.(still need to make)
filtration-1g Fuge with cheato with maxi-jet 400 return.
heater- i will buy one but for now i dont need one its warm enough as it is.
maintenance-Feed heavily before my weekly 100% WC
CUC-a few extra dwarf cerith snails i got from reefcleaners
LR-i have a few pounds cycling in a bucket with an airstone
LS- have some on hand need to wash.
Stocking will most likely be mostly softies and 1 or 2 lps and some sexy shrimp.
Posted Image

wannenmacher

wannenmacher

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 103 posts
  • Joined 01 Jul 2008
  • Mattoon IL
So after some thinking i decided to make things interesting and make a overflowing pico. After i bowrow my freinds drill we will be good to go. and some pics
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

wannenmacher

wannenmacher

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 103 posts
  • Joined 01 Jul 2008
  • Mattoon IL
The lines in the vase are glass clarity issues i guess, but i cant see them with IRL so i dosent bother me
Posted Image

solefald

solefald

Nigerian Prince

• Members
  • 766 posts
  • Joined 16 Jan 2012
  • San Diego, CA
Ha. I'm sitting here shopping for the same kind of a vase to buld a planted pico with the same damn overflow you are showing here. this is crazy!

anyway. I found a cool set at IKEA for $15
http://www.ikea.com/...0559/#/80175091

this is going to be a fresh water planted, so i dont need any flow. was going to use AqualiFter pump to overflow the top vase from the bottom one!

Edited by solefald, 01 April 2012 - 07:04 PM.

wannenmacher

wannenmacher

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 103 posts
  • Joined 01 Jul 2008
  • Mattoon IL
I dont think the aqua lifter will make it overflow all around the sides you need a stroger pump to break the surface tension. and i wish i had an ikea around me i had to buy mine from wallmart.
Posted Image

wannenmacher

wannenmacher

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 103 posts
  • Joined 01 Jul 2008
  • Mattoon IL
So i was drilling my tank for the return piping and the damn thing shattered. So i have to go buy a new tank so off to wall mart
Posted Image