oh yeah, I also had a cheap Sigma macro lens used for the more macro shots! It was a used sigma 105mm. Currently my gf has it. I'll probably invest in a nice Nikkor copy at some point. The Sigma one, btw, is pretty sweet though. Cheap too!
Halfpint: different ones actually, D70, D80, D700, D7000, and some with iPhone (not shown here). So far my fave is the iPhone 4S and the D700. I like the full frame cameras for their high ISO abilities. My best shots definitely are not in low light, just needed when you're shooting events. My best shots were probably with the D80. It's small, I carry it more often, and does everything the other camera bodies do. My current only camera body is the D700. It's falling apart though unfortunately. It's been through a lot. I might try to get another one or dabble into the D800 world.
Really though guys, it's not about the equipment. My iPhone photos have been used more times than I can count for wedding materials (like the bride wanted that as their signed canvas), and there are actually more iphone photos that have been liked than my others. Might just be how I use it I guess.
Please don't credit me on my equipment, it's really not because of what I use, but the story of how I got the shot.
I've been practicing shooting weddings for a long time, I've shadowed and been secondary shooter for a lot of pros. I always shoot my friends, I always do free gigs for engaged couples and I do a lot of volunteer photography for non-profits / good causes. I spend the entirety of every saturday (at least) practicing by getting out to cool new places and being creative. I do this a lot with just a point and shoot and my iPhone.I'm sure you guys aren't saying that, but I always like to point it out.
It's the worst when an artist doesn't get the credit, photography, painting, or not... it's not the camera, it's not the brush, it's just what we did to get the shot.
That Ventralis Anthias shot? Took me 6 months to finally get it. I learned so much about how fish move, how my lens worked, and the best way to do it. Not only that, I had to keep my ventralis alive! Successfully as well
I had to setup my lights the right way, and then I sat there, every night, trying to get the crisp clear shot. I burned through so many charges of my battery I can't even count how many. Finally I got it.
It's not just good equipment, that's only about 10%. The other 90% is a combination of how you post process and how you got the shot logistically.
I'll be honest, sometimes you just get plain lucky. But if you dont put yourself in the situation to be lucky, then you're never going to get the right shot.
oh, as an example: I've never shot a photo from Twin Peaks in San Francisco before, after all the years that I've lived here. But I've been researching all the different angles that people have photographed it, watched a commercial or two that featured it, and scoped it out a few times looking for good times to shoot it. Finally I found a night that had high clouds that were moving pretty quick, and a nice spot a little ways down from the main touristy overlook, posted up and took a bunch of different shots before finding a good composition. After that, I had to wait almost 3 hours before I got enough cars to make a nice light trail for me =)
Probably a better and faster way, but I'm still learning!
Here's the shot I got (this was just on Saturday):The City Below
, on Flickr
Thanks everyone for the kind comments! NR peeps are the best.
Edited by kinetic, 12 March 2012 - 04:11 PM.