Model Shoots:

5626714493_3e7faec726.jpg

wrapped by artchang, on Flickr

Abstract Aerials:

6548100903_038f6aca21.jpg

Lakeside by artchang, on Flickr

Engagements:

6548103565_5c6b042401.jpg

Sarah and Kiely - Chicago Engagement [all photos from the e-session in comments] by artchang, on Flickr

And of course, REEF STUFF:

4129817803_0bddfaba2c.jpg

When his home tumbles by artchang, on Flickr

2299956804_b706a69609.jpg

Pseudanthias Ventralis by artchang, on Flickr

Lots more, but that's just teasers. I do this as a hobby ;)

A hobby? Seems to me you could be making a lot of money if you ran your own photog business.

You're very good.

A hobby? Seems to me you could be making a lot of money if you ran your own photog business.

You're very good.

Thanks!! I have thought about doing photography full time, but I'm much better at what I do during the day, which isn't saying much.

You've easily been my favorite photographer on the site :happy:

What camera and post processing software are you using?

Thanks!

I just use a regular Nikon SLR. For processing I just learned how to use Lightroom! Still in the trial though. Before that I used Camera RAW.

Thanks!

I just use a regular Nikon SLR. For processing I just learned how to use Lightroom! Still in the trial though. Before that I used Camera RAW.

You consider a camera costing a few thousand dollars a regular SLR? I'm sure your lens is probably half that or more.

You consider a camera costing a few thousand dollars a regular SLR? I'm sure your lens is probably half that or more.

I just have two main lenses, a 35 and a 85. I bust out my little 20mm when I need wide angles. The image quality is definitely not great with those lenses. At some point I'll try to invest in better stuff, but for now it works well.

I wish I had better image quality for doing some prints. The combo I have works well for sharing on the web at least.

oh yeah, I also had a cheap Sigma macro lens used for the more macro shots! It was a used sigma 105mm. Currently my gf has it. I'll probably invest in a nice Nikkor copy at some point. The Sigma one, btw, is pretty sweet though. Cheap too!

Halfpint: different ones actually, D70, D80, D700, D7000, and some with iPhone (not shown here). So far my fave is the iPhone 4S and the D700. I like the full frame cameras for their high ISO abilities. My best shots definitely are not in low light, just needed when you're shooting events. My best shots were probably with the D80. It's small, I carry it more often, and does everything the other camera bodies do. My current only camera body is the D700. It's falling apart though unfortunately. It's been through a lot. I might try to get another one or dabble into the D800 world.

Really though guys, it's not about the equipment. My iPhone photos have been used more times than I can count for wedding materials (like the bride wanted that as their signed canvas), and there are actually more iphone photos that have been liked than my others. Might just be how I use it I guess.

Please don't credit me on my equipment, it's really not because of what I use, but the story of how I got the shot.

I've been practicing shooting weddings for a long time, I've shadowed and been secondary shooter for a lot of pros. I always shoot my friends, I always do free gigs for engaged couples and I do a lot of volunteer photography for non-profits / good causes. I spend the entirety of every saturday (at least) practicing by getting out to cool new places and being creative. I do this a lot with just a point and shoot and my iPhone.

I'm sure you guys aren't saying that, but I always like to point it out. It's the worst when an artist doesn't get the credit, photography, painting, or not... it's not the camera, it's not the brush, it's just what we did to get the shot.

That Ventralis Anthias shot? Took me 6 months to finally get it. I learned so much about how fish move, how my lens worked, and the best way to do it. Not only that, I had to keep my ventralis alive! Successfully as well ;) I had to setup my lights the right way, and then I sat there, every night, trying to get the crisp clear shot. I burned through so many charges of my battery I can't even count how many. Finally I got it.

It's not just good equipment, that's only about 10%. The other 90% is a combination of how you post process and how you got the shot logistically.

I'll be honest, sometimes you just get plain lucky. But if you dont put yourself in the situation to be lucky, then you're never going to get the right shot.

oh, as an example: I've never shot a photo from Twin Peaks in San Francisco before, after all the years that I've lived here. But I've been researching all the different angles that people have photographed it, watched a commercial or two that featured it, and scoped it out a few times looking for good times to shoot it. Finally I found a night that had high clouds that were moving pretty quick, and a nice spot a little ways down from the main touristy overlook, posted up and took a bunch of different shots before finding a good composition. After that, I had to wait almost 3 hours before I got enough cars to make a nice light trail for me =)

Probably a better and faster way, but I'm still learning!

Here's the shot I got (this was just on Saturday):

6974096001_5235b7c3e0_z.jpg

The City Below by artchang, on Flickr

Thanks everyone for the kind comments! NR peeps are the best.

I am impressed.

You have a good vision of the photo you want to take and seem to do a great job of presenting the scene in accuracy. I'm still to new at photography to really make those shots that I can consider art but photography really opens my eyes enough to actually see other photos for what they are.

I often try to avoid putting to much sky in my photos because I feel it is a waste of space. Looking at "the City Below" I realize the importance of the sky as it adds the feeling of hight and without it, the image would be something better for the trash can.

It was last night that I really realized the importance of investing some time and effort into a shot. It does go a long way.

You have a good vision of the photo you want to take and seem to do a great job of presenting the scene in accuracy. I'm still to new at photography to really make those shots that I can consider art but photography really opens my eyes enough to actually see other photos for what they are.

This is exactly it! You see the final image before you even take it =) If you're familiar enough with your post processing and you know what you want to finally get, you get out there and do your darn best to get the digital negative you need to really make things happen. Not always the case, obviously, but in most of my photos, I already have an image in my head of what I want this to end up looking like.

I often try to avoid putting to much sky in my photos because I feel it is a waste of space. Looking at "the City Below" I realize the importance of the sky as it adds the feeling of hight and without it, the image would be something better for the trash can.

Well sometimes the sky really is boring. If there aren't any clouds, stars, and it's just a big dark black / blue, it sometimes takes away. If you see some of my other photos, the sky isn't always as "big" of a focus.

Another thing I've noticed for "plain" skies is, sometimes it enhances the foreground / subjects even more by adding a lot of negative space. Sometimes less will help you focus more on something else in the photo.

man I would love to see a before and after post processing picture of the city below picture and also the iso / aperature / shutter speed settings you took the picture with

Latest canvas wrap came today. This is a 30x20" with a 1" wrap on the edges. It's hanging in my home right now, but will probably go on sale in a month or so!

The photo is of the Chicago Skyline at dusk / blue hour.

9206b1226e8311e180c9123138016265_7.jpg

See the photo in full here: http://500px.com/photo/3861528

Latest canvas wrap came today. This is a 30x20" with a 1" wrap on the edges. It's hanging in my home right now, but will probably go on sale in a month or so!

The photo is of the Chicago Skyline at dusk / blue hour.

9206b1226e8311e180c9123138016265_7.jpg

See the photo in full here: http://500px.com/photo/3861528

even your picture of a picture looks good LOL

even your picture of a picture looks good LOL

haha thanks man =) that was taken with my iphone 4s. it has pretty good depth of field control with a fixed aperture of f/2.4.

BTW, not sure if you guys are in the San Francisco, CA area or not, but I'll be speaking at a photography meetup tomorrow. It's a free event where photographers in SF and a few around the world will show off their post processing techniques and other tips about the tools they use.

If you guys are interested, let me know! It will be at the Sports Basement in the presidio at 10:30am tomorrow. Free, everyone's welcome to come. Limited seating to 50 though, we're getting close to that number so let me know.

haha thanks man =) that was taken with my iphone 4s. it has pretty good depth of field control with a fixed aperture of f/2.4.

I enjoy your composition and eye for things. Every talented.

• 1 month later...

Archived